A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Johnna tomatos and strawberries??? - January 31st, 2007 at 05:43 PM
Heard you should not plant strawberries where tomaatos were...true or false? & can I plant cherry tomatos and strawberries in same garden or not? Duh
Posted By: badplanter Re: tomatos and strawberries??? - January 31st, 2007 at 05:50 PM
I don't see a problem with it... my small veggie garden has about 12 different things growing in it... sometimes where I plant the particular plants in the garden varies... and it's never affected me!

**I actually have had most of my strawberries growing in old coffee pots.. laugh laugh so they don't even need to be in the garden! laugh **

good luck! thumbup

--Mark--
Posted By: Triss Re: tomatos and strawberries??? - January 31st, 2007 at 05:55 PM
I had tomatoes and strawberrie fairly close to one another last year and both did well. I am sure our resident tomato experts will pop in on this one though.
Posted By: Johnna Re: tomatos and strawberries??? - January 31st, 2007 at 06:00 PM
Thanks. I thought of using a hanging basket or some other container to use. That way I didn't have to worry about it. Should strawberries be in a lot of sun-not much shade in my yard? It get reeaaalllyyy hot in Oklahoma in the summer. This will be my first fruit/veggie garden. wavey
Posted By: Triss Re: tomatos and strawberries??? - January 31st, 2007 at 06:02 PM
Strawberries love the sun as do tomatoes but be sure they do not dry out!
Posted By: Johnna Re: tomatos and strawberries??? - January 31st, 2007 at 06:06 PM
I have to admit it is exciting to hear your answers! Thank you very much. I am new here and am appreciative of all of your advise. clp
Posted By: johnCT Re: tomatos and strawberries??? - January 31st, 2007 at 07:19 PM
I've never heard that. Where did you read that? What was the logic behind that advice?
Posted By: Johnna Re: tomatos and strawberries??? - January 31st, 2007 at 07:35 PM
Don't remember, wish I did. That's why I asked, though. Sounds like it will be alright to plant them together.
Posted By: MLN Re: tomatos and strawberries??? - February 1st, 2007 at 03:36 PM
If you plant them in the ground, I would recommend you mulch them (I use wheat straw--it's nice and clean). The mulch keeps the berries from making contact with the ground which can make them rot on the bottom. Also, if slugs become a problem, I just put out lids (mayo will do) with a little beer in it. They seem to be quite fond of it and will crawl in and presumably get drunk enough that they drown.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: tomatos and strawberries??? - February 1st, 2007 at 03:41 PM
I had strawberries growing in a hanging pot last summer and they did excellent.

Good luck!!
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: tomatos and strawberries??? - February 1st, 2007 at 11:32 PM
And be sure to plant your strawberries with the crown above the soil.
Any idea on which strawberry you'll be planting?
I've had great success with container strawberries.
If you keep an eye out for watering you'll be OK.
Good luck !
wavey
Posted By: dodge Re: tomatos and strawberries??? - February 7th, 2007 at 03:07 AM
I spent $7.00 for a strawberry holder last week and thought I had 10 strawberry plants.
When I opened it up , it was 10 seeds and dirt. Ha....
However the planter is really cut ceramic and painted with 4 holes on the sides ....
Oh well it stays.......

I have a terrible time keep Robins out of my strawberries.....I like birds but not in the garden.

d
Posted By: Johnna Re: tomatos and strawberries??? - February 7th, 2007 at 10:44 PM
Well, it was my mom that said she saw on t.v. that you shouldn't plant strawberries where tomatos used to be. She watches a lot of garden shows.

I plan on planting BRIGHTON strawberries if I plant in hanging pot.

I have heard of the beer trick-very interesting. I bet it's gross to clean out the lids with dead slugs in them though!

Will definately use mulch in my garden! That's good, Thanks. Should help with the weeds also. I was thinking of using some weed/grass killer on area before planting...how long afterwards until it's safe to plant produce? flw
Posted By: DeepCreekLake Re: tomatos and strawberries??? - February 7th, 2007 at 10:50 PM
They tell you that for disease prevention. Tomatoes are members of the nightshade family, as are, peppers, and eggplants. They can carry diseases that could potentially get spread to your strawberrys.
Posted By: Johnna Re: tomatos and strawberries??? - February 7th, 2007 at 10:58 PM
Thank you. I was wondering!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]