A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: njoynit Christmas Cacti - October 23rd, 2006 at 08:20 PM
Hows everyones CC doing?I've got one thats setting buds.Its the one without the red new growth& gets less sun.I'm so glad I turned it before it got buds starting.My neighbors has not started either.I checked.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/njoynit/christmascactibuds.jpg
Posted By: Tonya Re: Christmas Cacti - October 23rd, 2006 at 11:05 PM
Nice looking cacti!! Mine looks puny next to yours! laugh laugh Mine also has buds-looks to be pink. This will be the first year it has bloomed.
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: Christmas Cacti - October 24th, 2006 at 01:27 AM
No buds yet. It's a small plant I grew from seed from others that died. It set 2 buds last year that fell off when my oldest son came home from college and turned the lights on in his bedroom, where it lives. He'll probably come home this year, too!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Christmas Cacti - October 24th, 2006 at 03:18 AM
I had posted mine in another thread, but will share it here as well. It started out as a 4 inch pot for 99 cents because it was finished blooming - that was about 8 years or so ago. It also has buds on it.

oh, yeah... the ones that are budding up now, are really Thanksgiving cacti. They are different from the Christmas cacti - different shaped leaves! Mine is definitely a Thanksgiving cactus - the leaf edges are pointy, while the other is more rounded.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tonya Re: Christmas Cacti - October 24th, 2006 at 07:55 AM
I can't wait for mine to get as big as y'alls are. I got it a year or so ago and it died down to one stalk. It looks great now compared to how it used to look, but is still small comparatively. It has grown a bunch this year- I'll get pics tomorrow!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Christmas Cacti - October 29th, 2006 at 07:34 AM
I posted this in the other thread, but wanted to share it here as well, since I was stating a difference.

Christmas Cactus (Schlumbergera bridgesii),
Thanksgiving cactus (Schlumbergera truncata),
and Easter cactus (Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri)
Posted By: badplanter Re: Christmas Cacti - October 29th, 2006 at 07:39 AM
I should get a pic of mine on here...

Mine is definitely a Thanksgiving cactus - the leaf edges are pointy, while the other is more rounded.
My leaf edges are pointy-- does that make it a Thanksgiving cactus?

Mine is very small compared to everybody elses as well!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Christmas Cacti - October 29th, 2006 at 07:41 AM
Please DO get a picture of it on here, Mark!

Without looking at the leaves, I'd probably say if they are point on the edges then it is a Thanksgiving cactus. Is it setting buds now?
Posted By: TomR Re: Christmas Cacti - October 29th, 2006 at 07:56 AM
My white one is blooming now! I have several others pushing buds too and a few thanksgiving one too!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: badplanter Re: Christmas Cacti - October 29th, 2006 at 08:57 AM
Lynne, i'm not sure if it's setting buds yet... I never really pay attention to it... shocked can it be too small to set buds? If so, it is to small...

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow1 thumbup
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Christmas Cacti - October 29th, 2006 at 09:59 AM
I've got one but it's not growing hasn't died still healthy, but not growing what are the growing requirements.......The pot I have it in is not too big for the plant.. so I don't know what I'm doing wrong I've had for several months now in an east window gets indirect light what are watering requirements??
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Christmas Cacti - October 29th, 2006 at 10:02 AM
Diane - mine is probably about 3 feet or so away from an east window. I probably overwater it, so I'm not the best to advise you - I usually pour my leftover nightwater in the pot each morning - I'm sure that has to be the wrong thing to do, but so far, knock on wood, it's doing well.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Christmas Cacti - October 30th, 2006 at 12:01 AM
Thanks Lynne!
Posted By: chermoni Re: Christmas Cacti - October 31st, 2006 at 08:22 AM
Mine is very small and it was in bloom last year when I bought. It doesn't have any buds on it yet but has grown a couple of new leaves. I'll take a pic when I get home. Either I'm doing something wrong or it's a christman cactus. Not sure when to repot either. Suggestion?
Posted By: TomR Re: Christmas Cacti - October 31st, 2006 at 08:45 AM
Chermoni,
Don't repot yet. They need cool and dark fall nights to set buds is all. Try putting them in a cool but not freezing place for a couple of weeks.

Tom
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Christmas Cacti - October 31st, 2006 at 09:46 AM
Also... once these plants set buds, do not move them - especially do not rotate them. They don't like that at all and will drop all the buds before they open!
Posted By: njoynit Re: Christmas Cacti - November 1st, 2006 at 12:02 PM
Mine sit out on deck in bright shade all summer.I bring them into cold GH when they finish blooming.I bought these last year& repotted them into hanging baskets,but have managed to break all 3 baskets.so they are hanging baskets that sit& i'll buy them macrame plant hangers...least they don't snap from wind or rain.

yep thats right,,,,don't turn that plant folks.its suicide!

One out of eery four persons is insane.....
or suffers from mental illness.Think of your three best friends....If they are normal...then its YOU.
Posted By: cinta Re: Christmas Cacti - November 2nd, 2006 at 02:59 AM
I brought mine in flower last winter. It flowered for about a month.

I kept it outside all summer. When I brought it inside it had started to bud. Now I do not know what to do. I put it in a temporary position on a table and need to move it.

You really think if I move the plant all the buds will drop>
Posted By: badplanter Re: Christmas Cacti - November 2nd, 2006 at 06:46 AM
Mine is brought in... I just looked at the blooms... they are pink! I'm so happy... I'll try to get a pic on sometime... laugh

(I'm pretty sure it's a Thanksgiving cactus... )
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Christmas Cacti - November 2nd, 2006 at 07:32 AM
clp Good Mark!!!!!!
Posted By: chermoni Re: Christmas Cacti - November 6th, 2006 at 03:26 AM
I just noticed the other day that mine has little "nubs" coming out from the tip of the leaves. Are these the beginnings of buds? How often should I be watering it now? I've always only watered every couple of weeks and I've read that they need even less water to bloom, is this true? I really hope my blooms this year.
Posted By: Tonya Re: Christmas Cacti - November 6th, 2006 at 05:10 AM
Originally posted by plants 'n pots:
Also... once these plants set buds, do not move them - especially do not rotate them. They don't like that at all and will drop all the buds before they open!
You are dead right on that one, Lynne!! I rotated mine because it would sit better. Now the biggest bud I had has fallen off and a few others don't look healthy ters Wish I would've seen that post before turning it around. ters
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Christmas Cacti - November 6th, 2006 at 08:29 AM
Originally posted by chermoni:
I just noticed the other day that mine has little "nubs" coming out from the tip of the leaves. Are these the beginnings of buds? How often should I be watering it now? I've always only watered every couple of weeks and I've read that they need even less water to bloom, is this true? I really hope my blooms this year.
Chermoni - sounds like those are buds indeed - congrats! kissies
Posted By: chermoni Re: Christmas Cacti - November 6th, 2006 at 08:39 AM
Yeah, I'm so excited. clp Now I just have to remind myself not to move it because I usually just take it into the bathroom and run some water over it and let it drain into the sink.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Christmas Cacti - November 7th, 2006 at 12:06 AM
My first bloom opened this morning!
It's so pretty - this does not begin to capture how crisp it looks.
I had to lie on the floor underneath the plant to get the face view.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Christmas Cacti - November 7th, 2006 at 12:59 PM
OMG That is Beautiful Lynne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Tonya Re: Christmas Cacti - November 7th, 2006 at 08:52 PM
eek Mine would have been the same color!!! ters

Yours is beautiful!!!
Posted By: gardeningmomma Re: Christmas Cacti - November 8th, 2006 at 02:00 PM
That's gorgeous! Mine looks like it has new growth, but no buds yet...
Posted By: Jimmy V Re: Christmas Cacti - November 9th, 2006 at 11:52 AM
Here are mine blooming.
White
Peach
Pink
This last has the Red one I have had for about three years.
All four
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Christmas Cacti - November 9th, 2006 at 07:48 PM
WOW Jimmy! Those are BEAUTIFUL!!!

I've never seen a white one for sale around here - lucky you!
And I have 1 small stem of the peach one that actually bloomed last year - it was nice seeing a different color for a change.

Are yours still outside? Do you have to bring them in for winter?
Posted By: comfrey Re: Christmas Cacti - November 10th, 2006 at 01:34 AM
Wow all the blooms everyone has are beautiful, and Thanks Lynne for laying on the floor to get that wonderful shot of your flowers!!!!
Posted By: njoynit Re: Christmas Cacti - November 10th, 2006 at 05:42 AM
I likes the pink shot.mine is close to blooming my white one.This was shot about a month ago.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Christmas Cacti - November 10th, 2006 at 09:02 AM
Wow Jimmy I really Like the peach colored one,,!!!!!!!!
Njoynit Mine Doesn't grow AT all!! It just sits there eek Okay patients Patients I know!!! eek laugh laugh
Posted By: Jimmy V Re: Christmas Cacti - November 10th, 2006 at 09:04 AM
They have been outside on my porch since last Feb. brought them in a couple weeks ago was supposed to get cold. It got down to low 40's lately been 70 and 80's so they are back outside. Wal-Mart sells them here has a bunch of colors. Glad you like them.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Christmas Cacti - November 10th, 2006 at 09:33 AM
Originally posted by angelblossom:
Wow Jimmy I really Like the peach colored one,,!!!!!!!!
Njoynit Mine Doesn't grow AT all!! It just sits there eek Okay patients Patients I know!!! eek laugh laugh
Diane - I think you've been at your job too long!

Patients?!? laugh kissies p
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Christmas Cacti - November 10th, 2006 at 10:04 AM
LYNNE!! I'm still Laughing out loud Lynne!!!! Your are toooooo cute!!!!! I forgot you noticed those words that can put a spin on a sentence!!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh lala
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Christmas Cacti - November 10th, 2006 at 10:08 AM
Sorry, Diane - I just can't help myself when I notice things like that, and puns - for some reason I pick up on them all the time! laugh shocked kissies

It's all in good fun, right? wink thumbup
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Christmas Cacti - November 10th, 2006 at 10:56 AM
Originally posted by plants 'n pots:

It's all in good fun, right? wink thumbup
Absolutely!!!!!!! grinnnn laugh
Posted By: delawaredrew Re: Christmas Cacti - November 11th, 2006 at 10:31 AM
mine had at least one bloom on it until July or August, it must not know when x-mas is. It seemed to like the AC in here. I is finally bloomless and I am awaiting it's next show.
Posted By: badplanter Re: Christmas Cacti - November 12th, 2006 at 12:09 AM
I wanted to wait until it bloomed to show mine--

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Not sure if it a Christams or Thanksgiving cactus.. last year it bloomed around christmas-time, but it was inside all year. this year, It was outside for the summer, and just bloomed yesterday.

I think It is a cutting from my great-grandmothers, who passed away 7 years ago. I wonder what happened to the rest of it? Duh laugh laugh
Posted By: njoynit Re: Christmas Cacti - November 12th, 2006 at 02:28 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is whats its starting to do now.I got my 1st bloom.they just sit around...........
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Christmas Cacti - November 12th, 2006 at 04:17 AM
Mark - very pretty flowers! Thanks for sharing!

Njoynit - those are some very healthy looking buds. Would love to see it in full bloom!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Christmas Cacti - November 12th, 2006 at 06:47 AM
Beautiful Njoynit!!!
Posted By: njoynit Re: Christmas Cacti - November 14th, 2006 at 01:11 AM
Its getting there...one day at a time.My other 2 the buds are still small and forming.Those 2 will proably be more along christmas bloom time.hopefully in a week will have a few more blooms opened.there is a slight pink streak on the flower,but had read that was common with the white flowers not being totally white.I bought them at the same time.was around this time or later.I believe my other 2 were pink& red.I think they we're late setting them out last year also.
Posted By: njoynit Re: Christmas Cacti - November 20th, 2006 at 11:40 PM
here is 2 more shots....recent
[Linked Image]

you can see the pink more on this one.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Christmas Cacti - November 21st, 2006 at 08:15 AM
WOWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!! Njoynit! I'm sooooo liking that one!!
Posted By: cinta Re: Christmas Cacti - November 25th, 2006 at 09:01 AM
OH Njoynit, when you want to trade give me a scream. I love the white. LOL!!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Christmas Cacti - November 25th, 2006 at 03:17 PM
me too...unless i can find one for sale around here...
Posted By: njoynit Re: Christmas Cacti - December 3rd, 2006 at 03:08 AM
My red has 2 open blooms now.

[Linked Image]

Here's more of the white.They are pretty much fully open now,not many buds left to bloom cause so many ARE in bloom.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My pink is further behind& when had it covered on porch I think the dogs did a 'slam-by' It kinda looks like my crown of thorns after the hurricane.I picked up the broke pieces and have in small pot as well as some white ones.Least IT was barely grazed durring the 'slam-by'.

Cinta..we'll see how these pieces root up.I have some I stuck in a hoya plant will have to check on too.I stuck them after a storm over the summer.I seen they we're alive the 2oth when moved stuff in to GH.3 of the white stems with buds bloomed,I thought that was kewl

I know DI ya love the red one too now.
I've also not seen any out this year yet down here.
bees love them.
Posted By: gardeningmomma Re: Christmas Cacti - December 3rd, 2006 at 10:02 AM
Gorgeous! smile This is the first year my Christmas Cactus bloomed. Will it bloom again? Or is that it for this year?
Posted By: njoynit Re: Christmas Cacti - December 4th, 2006 at 01:00 PM
I've seen some able to get muliple blooms,but they do the closet thing....and if I put a plant in a closet to make it think it was dorment.....I'd forget about it.Mine will bloom this time roughly every year.When the days get shorter I move it to a lil shadier spot.when their finished blooming I'll just sit them with the rest of the gang in the cold GH.
Posted By: gardeningmomma Re: Christmas Cacti - December 5th, 2006 at 02:28 PM
Thanks, I have a few new buds today, but not sure if they just haven't flowered yet. The blooms were so beautiful, that I'd love another round of them cool
Posted By: Christina Wellman Re: Christmas Cacti - December 9th, 2006 at 02:13 AM
OK! I need some help with my Christmas cactus! I replanted it about a month ago, because it was too big for the pot. Then it started to bud and flower.. During this time parts of the plant started to die. I put new soil in when I re- potted my plant. I used the new miracle grow soil that holds the moisture in so you don't have to water as much. Was this a mistake or not? I think so! Now what do i do? HELP me please? I do not want to lose this plant....
Posted By: ladystressout Re: Christmas Cacti - December 9th, 2006 at 03:05 AM
Hey! Tom can I asked you if you would not mind maybe to send me some starts off of that white one?Not now maybe next spring?I will pay for the postage or send you a start of my chrismas cactus which is reddish in color?Rita
Posted By: njoynit Re: Christmas Cacti - December 11th, 2006 at 06:08 AM
Here is my red christmas epi just blooming its socks off in the bathroom Gh((shh this room does not exisit.I'm suppose to have all the plants in one place..not the cold GH plus 3 rooms of house& the garage))

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Christmas Cacti - December 11th, 2006 at 09:26 AM
beautiful, and i won't tell a soul! laugh laugh
Posted By: njoynit Re: Christmas Cacti - December 28th, 2006 at 12:47 PM
Here is the other one blooming.It's been in bloom almost a week now.It had its 1st bloom open the 24th.It's like a red with white streak but has a pinkish overcast to it thats quiet pretty.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Christmas Cacti - December 29th, 2006 at 09:23 AM
Wow I just love those colors!!!! flw
Posted By: njoynit Re: Christmas Cacti - December 31st, 2006 at 02:46 AM
I found their baby picture...

[Linked Image]

I'm hopeing those hycanith come back up AND bloom this year.They don't get cold enough now down here.They are pushing foliage up.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]