A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Tuame Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 06:15 PM
http://tuakid.tripod.com/id3.html

Eleena.... Like her? Got her for Cristmas. Any hints on taking care of her.

I've also got two lemon cuttings waiting to root lala (Clea & Claire). I might post a picture too.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 09:36 PM
What a great Bonsai! It does not look like a Rose to me either! Duh It actually looks like my lugustrium let me see if I can find a picture of mine and I will post it here for you OK!!
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 09:40 PM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 09:42 PM
Yep... I have a feeling that's it. Thanks. I'm gonna post Claire and Clea's sit now. You can't see much in the photo but it's better than nothing.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 09:49 PM
I have a lemon and lime too.. They are great to watch grow!! Once mine took off they were like wild fire!!

With these type of bonsai it is VERY important to keep them watered daily and to make sure that you fertalize them let me go find the specs... they like a daily spritz as well as the humidity tray....Mine grows very fast so trimming is esential... Is yours suppose to bloom little white flowers?
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 09:54 PM
Don't know really... It's only been at me a couple of days, and it didn't come in packaging ( I should have got one with info right? Yeah, I know) Today i'll do the tray.. it already has a base, I need to fill it with stones & water right?
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 10:00 PM
Yep that is what you do... Did you get it from a bonsai store?

On these types you should also pinch the big leaves off so they stay small..

I have this great book ... Perhaps you could find it at a library.. It is called "The Complete Practical Encyclopedia of Bonsai" By Ken Norman... It has helped me a TON with my bonsai!!
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 10:02 PM
I'll look around for it .. thanks

Nope, Just a regular garden centre.I doubt a bonsai store exists in malta. Too small for something so specific.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 10:09 PM
Gotcha.. Well I will help you out as much as I can..

If you don't catch me around .. Just PM me and I will respond to your question ok!!
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 10:11 PM
Are you 13?
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 10:27 PM
Yep... Why?
Posted By: badplanter Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 10:32 PM
What a cool bonsai! thumbup

I've always wanted to have one[not to mention a lemon and/or lime tree! laugh laugh ]
I had a little bonsai book... once... laugh
I was given a little, little plant... it was very cool thumbup
I don't quite remember what happened to it.. lala

Where is Malta?

--Mark--
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 10:34 PM
Malta is to the south of italy... Lemme see if I find a map....
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 10:34 PM
I think it is Really cool seeing younger people into gardening!! thumbup thumbup
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 10:35 PM
It is Here:

http://www.malta-map.com/maltese_islands/europe/666463/europe_malta_map_location.gif

And Looks like THis:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/europe/malta_pol84.jpg
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 10:35 PM
And Mark is reading my mind laugh laugh ...
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 10:35 PM
Does that awnser your question?
Posted By: badplanter Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 10:40 PM
I think it is Really cool seeing younger people into gardening!! There are a few other young gardeners here too.. Badplanter and kennyso... They are probably hanging out in the Banter hall or the Game room..
wavey kissies
[very cool place to live thumbup ]
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 7th, 2007 at 11:22 PM
I Put the tray with rocks & water... but sca there seems to be mould on Eleena's soil!... How do I get rid of it?
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 8th, 2007 at 03:19 AM
I scrape it all off... I do keep small little pebbles on top of the soil.. What kind of soil do you have?? You really need a bonsai soil.. wich is small pebbles or a near sand type of soil.. It binds the roots so it can't grow as fast..

Do you keep it inside or outside?? Mine I keep outside in the spring and summer and inside during our winter... It could have to do with the soil used at the store...
Is there any way you can take a better picture of the soil?

Try this first .. scrape the mold off.. Get it some more sunlight and let it dry out a little more like I would say let it go 2 days with no water just to get rid of the mold... Not for Normal care.. do that and let me know how it goes ..
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 9th, 2007 at 02:50 AM
K... she's outside already .. dont know 'bout a piccy but the soil doesn't look very sand-like. I'll scrape the mould off as you said.

Our winters are Veeeeeeeery mild so I doubt i'll have to bring it in
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 9th, 2007 at 05:55 AM
OK just give her a bit less water and that is suppose to help the mold problem.. If it stays around 40 you should be good to go!! If EVER a chance of frost just put it close to the house or right inside by the door so it stays cool!! So you don't shock it!

Do you fertalize it? Duh
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 12th, 2007 at 05:40 PM
No.... I haven't bought yet 'cos my aunt is meant to get me some because she once had a bonsai and never got rid of the ferilizer once it died.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 12th, 2007 at 08:21 PM
Ohh I see... I don't use specific bonsai stuff. I have been giving it compost tea from my worm bin..

Is the mold going away a little??
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 13th, 2007 at 09:33 PM
Yep... She's fine now.... watered her again yesterday. Re-did the front garden... bought some Pensieri(which i think are pansies to you) and Gazanjas (No clue what they are in english) and a Hibiscus. I removed a dying hibiscus and replaced it with a new one, and the dying one is in a pot and we're trying to revive it.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 14th, 2007 at 08:38 PM
Is it summer there or your winter??

Just wondering cause my hybiscus die down in the winter here and pop back up in the spring...

I am happy your bonsai is doing better!!
Just keep a close eye out for the mold!! thumbup
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 14th, 2007 at 09:23 PM
It's Winter... but its very mild here.... We never get frost snow etc... I have some piccys on Photo bucket but i don't know to where i should link....
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 15th, 2007 at 02:43 AM
You can direct link them right to the site just right click on the img... then come back and paste it to the box you type in...
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 16th, 2007 at 02:09 AM
Hibiscus:
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/tuame/Hibiscous1.jpg?t=1168884370

And our Pensieri:
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/tuame/Pensieri.jpg?t=1168884519
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 16th, 2007 at 02:23 AM
They bloom even in winter there huh?? Beautiful!!
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 17th, 2007 at 02:40 AM
I like them... Alot. Winter's mild here, as i have already said. It never reaches below 40F. It reaches highs of 105 though....
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 18th, 2007 at 09:22 PM
Wish I was there right now for that type of winter it is 0 degrees out here right now and even colder with the wind!!

So yours never die down for the winter...That is cool!! Ohh and Yes they are what we call Pansies in the one picture!! thumbup
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 18th, 2007 at 10:23 PM
But summer gets 2 hot 4 them though...they dry up quickly here so watering is V Imp!
Posted By: Bill Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 18th, 2007 at 09:03 PM
re-sync
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 18th, 2007 at 10:53 PM
How is your bonsai doing?
Posted By: aighead Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 20th, 2007 at 04:07 AM
Tuame, not to take away from The Garden Helper but there are several very good bonsai specific websites out there that can potentially give very specific advice to your tree. If you want to know of my favorites feel free to message me, as I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to them here.

I am a fairly new bonsai-er, but I've spent several months reading everything I possibly can (page after page after page) and may suggest a slightly different watering technique which given your climate may end up to be similar to what was said above.

With about any bonsai I've heard of, the standard sugggestions for watering say to wait until the top centimeter or so of the soil is dry before rewatering. Keeping the soil wet at all times could lead to root rot which will end up slowly killing the plant. The humidity tray is a great idea, though I've read that misting doesn't necessarily do much. (I'm not trying to intentionally negate what Spring Fever is saying which is why I suggest a more bonsai specific website, I could very well be wrong, just going with the accounts I've read along the way)

I agree with the previous sentiment of young gardeners. I wish I'd have gotten into bonsai when I was your age. I'd have many trees now that were in bonsai stages that I like rather than still waiting for my trees to fill out.

Good luck with all your gardening!
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 20th, 2007 at 11:44 AM
With the species she has it is important to keep it watered at least everyother day!!
Posted By: aighead Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 22nd, 2007 at 10:38 PM
I could very well be wrong... I was just warning of root rot. No offense intended! smile
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 26th, 2007 at 07:07 AM
None taken.....

Spring Fever: I finally got the fertilizer from my aunt.. Haven't tried it yet though. Eleena's doing fine... It seems to have sone (very little, but noticable) new growth. We're having very wild winter this year, even by our standard. All the better if it thinks it spring though.... MORE GROWTH! MUHAHAHAHA!

PS
Originally posted by SpringFever:
With the species she has .....
HE has.. please...
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 26th, 2007 at 01:32 PM
shocked sorry My Bad!!
I am happy to hear Eleena is doing well!! I will have to go look up on the fertalizer though I use compost tea in mine ... Not really sure of the regular feeding schedule Duh

We have had a odd winter too!!
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 26th, 2007 at 03:39 PM
It says very clearly on the back of the bottle when it should be fed... if that;s what you want to know. It's at home and i'm at dad's office so I cant tell you what it reccomends right now.

Ps: Don't worry 'bout the he/she thing....
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - January 30th, 2007 at 01:07 PM
That is good Tuame! I sometimes get it from people and the bag or instructions are gone!! thumbup
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - February 3rd, 2007 at 02:13 PM
My aun't isn't that kind of person...By the way, My hibiscous is flowering regularly! I;m glad I bought it now
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - February 28th, 2007 at 08:27 AM
Emm... Eleena ain't doing too good. Mum's starting to think it's not an outdoor. I'm going to get it in in some hope to get it alive again...Let's hope I don't kill it...
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - February 28th, 2007 at 12:27 PM
These are very hardy trees.. Did the leaves fall off? did you leave it out when it got too cold? I left mine out in the 40F and he still made it! Can you snap a picture of Eleena and post it?
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - March 5th, 2007 at 07:38 PM
The leaves haven't fallen off but there is very little green in them. 40F?(4C) Hardly! It never goes below 53F(12C) here. I thought she wasn't getting enough sun really. SO I moved it to a sunnier spot in the garden. Hope I dont kill her (yet).
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - March 5th, 2007 at 09:18 PM
They are Very Hardy!! I had a mishap with mine all the leaves fell off and they grew back..
Are the leaves yellowing? did you fertalize it to much?
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - March 7th, 2007 at 11:31 AM
THey're ...Browning....
Nope, can't see how. More like too little. Hoping that she'll green up a bit. The trunk is 100% fine though so i was hoping it'll grow more leaves
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - March 7th, 2007 at 12:05 PM
It should Grow new Leaves ... your watering everyday?
It is outdoors..is in in need of a new container? are the roots growing out of the bottom?
Posted By: Tuame Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - March 7th, 2007 at 12:39 PM
I'll check. Get beck to you whenI do . By the way, thanks for all the help
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Eleena...My Bonsai - March 8th, 2007 at 12:37 PM
No Problem... wink

The only other thing I could think of would be pull the tree up and inspect the soil for any pests... If there is anything in there rinse the root Really well.. Wash the pot really well and re-plant with new soil..

Have you moved it at all? Could it be shock? Duh
Good Luck thumbup
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]