A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Lavandula Vegetables for a beginner - March 15th, 2007 at 08:49 PM
Hi,
I'm a new gardener-zone 6 in NY. I'd like to start a vegetable garden- which veg.'s are easy to grow, and would you recommend starting from seed or buy seedlings? Should i start them indoors first?
Thanks,
L
Posted By: kennyso Re: Vegetables for a beginner - March 15th, 2007 at 08:56 PM
carrots and lettuce are pretty easy, you can try thm from seed. peppers and tomatoes can be grown from seeds as well or you can buy them as seedlings. beans are fun to grow especially types like scarlet runner where the flowers are just as valuable as the bean (they attract hymmingbirds!)
Posted By: MLN Re: Vegetables for a beginner - March 15th, 2007 at 10:10 PM
I agree with KennySo's list. Any type of green beans are easy. Tomatoes aren't hard but, if you choose to start some from seed, since it's your first garden, I would buy at least a few plants as well to ensure success. Raising from seed can take a little learning wink Radishes are probably about the easiest of all to grow and can be quite a confidence booster. I think cabbage is easy too. I buy my plants in the spring and start them from seed late in the summer for fall planting. Onion sets are easy too.
Posted By: namfon Re: Vegetables for a beginner - March 16th, 2007 at 10:20 PM
I would suggest contacting your local extension agent and getting a soil sample tested. Even though you ar ea first time gardener, sucess with plant sis often VERY localized. When I learned what my pH was and how to adjust it my gardening became much better and easier also.

Your County agent generally knows what works best locally also ( ie variety - wise )
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Vegetables for a beginner - March 17th, 2007 at 12:48 AM
Lavandula,
Can you tell us what veggies you like to eat?

That would also help us narrow it down for you
which is easiest to grow..
Cause if you don't like to eat it,
it wouldn't be any sense to grow it either...
even if it was easy to grow...
Posted By: Lavandula Re: Vegetables for a beginner - March 18th, 2007 at 01:56 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the info.
I think its a good idea to get the soil tested. We moved into a brand new development, that required blsting of shale to build on, and the soil seems to be clay.
We love to eat all kinds of veggies, including esp., tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, etc.- looking at the catalogs makes me want to try everything, but i think i should start small to see how things work out.
Also, there seem to be a lot of deer here!
L
Posted By: chrissy fair Re: Vegetables for a beginner - March 18th, 2007 at 02:04 AM
I would suggest a squash of some sort, like zuccini if you have the room. Most people find it grows fast and yeilds easy. (except my sister which has a way of killing the plant off after about 2 months)
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]