A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: sue099 Identifying Hot Peppers - October 5th, 2006 at 03:06 AM
I planted several different kinds of hot peppers for the first time this year in my veg patch. Habaneros, Jalapenos, Serrano and Cayenne.

The Habaneros and Jalapenos are pretty distinctive, but like a complete idiot I didn't make note of which was which for the Serrano and Cayenne and now I don't know one from the other. Duh

Help! Can anyone help me identify them from this photo? I hope its not too big a picture. I've not added photos to a post before.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Identifying Hot Peppers - October 5th, 2006 at 05:16 AM
The ones in the bowl to the right are Serrano's. The ones in the bowl on the left and on the table look to be the same pepper but are definitely not cayenne. Are you sure you didn't plant another variety? They look an awfully lot like a Hungarian Wax pepper. Duh
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Identifying Hot Peppers - October 5th, 2006 at 07:48 AM
Oh no..I was wrong..the ones I didn't think were cayenne.....they are....sorry! shocked
Posted By: sue099 Re: Identifying Hot Peppers - October 5th, 2006 at 07:48 AM
my hubby and I have been discussing the possibility that what was labelled 'cayenne' might actually be something else. Trouble is, if they aren't cayenne I have absoloutely no idea what else they might be.

Only thing I'd say is, bearing in mind that I bought the seedlings at Walmart, they don't sell that many varieties so I don't think it would be anything particularly unusual.

I have some additional pics here of the peppers growing in the garden. However the colours are different with those not yet fully ripe.

This one is the plant that the peppers in the big blue bowl on the left in the photo above came from:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sue099 Re: Identifying Hot Peppers - October 5th, 2006 at 08:00 AM
hmm. I resized that way too small to be able to see it properly.
[Linked Image]

I hope posting pics this size is okay here...?
Posted By: sue099 Re: Identifying Hot Peppers - October 5th, 2006 at 08:08 AM
oh! okay so thats part of my question answered! Thanks :-)

Maybe you can help me with the other part of the id job as well!

Here is a pic of another hot pepper, growing in the garden, along with the rip harvested peppers. This was meant to be cayenne but my hubby and I think that it was mislabelled because its a different colour when ripe than the other cayenne peppers.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Identifying Hot Peppers - October 5th, 2006 at 08:13 AM
Gosh, those are such pretty peppers...
Posted By: comfrey Re: Identifying Hot Peppers - October 5th, 2006 at 10:08 AM
On the plant pictures (the big pics)the first one looks like cayenne, I have no idea about the second plant picture.
Posted By: papito Re: Identifying Hot Peppers - October 5th, 2006 at 08:09 PM
How to identify Hot Peppers at

http://www.chetbacon.com/peppers/Hotpeppers.html
Posted By: sue099 Re: Identifying Hot Peppers - October 7th, 2006 at 04:51 AM
Thanks a lot for the info and link everyone!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]