A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: mccormij7 A couple questions about hyacinths - January 28th, 2007 at 12:30 AM
I thought I'd start a new topic for this, it's based on my previous topic (aka. "you'll have to be a genius to figure this out")

It seems like the flower I'm looking for is a hyacinth

I was wanting to learn more about them and I'm not really sure where to start. I guess I was wondering

1) if a can get them this time of year (preferable one that has blossomed or is ready to blossom--I'd rather not grow it from a bulb unless I have to)

2) if I can buy them in winter where would I get one?

3) will they grow indoors if they're kept by a window
Posted By: Anonymous Re: A couple questions about hyacinths - January 28th, 2007 at 12:46 AM
hyacinths are grown from bulbs. they bloom in early spring. you see them around at easter time...and they're usually in bloom or just about ready to bloom.

i've never tried keeping them inside...i've just always planted them in the ground after easter.

they come back the next year.
Posted By: njoynit Re: A couple questions about hyacinths - February 14th, 2007 at 05:24 PM
My Walmart gets them in& have some in now(though not in bloom in store now)Mine I bought last year the pinks have already flowered,but the stalks we're shorter this time than when bought Duh

yes you can grow them in the house.They can be forced.
you may find THIS intresting..........
http://www.bachmans.com/retail/tipsheets/bulbs_hardy/ForcingHyacinthsinWater.cfm

They are harder for me to grow cause I don't have a realiably 9-12 week cold spell.

This is not a good shot,but mine are here.My whites have not bloomed yet,so hopefully will have a better picture of those.
[Linked Image]

I do plan to buy more....I wait till they've got them on clearance & know the color.Thinking of more pinks.have paperwhites in area.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: A couple questions about hyacinths - February 14th, 2007 at 06:17 PM
Wow......you've got quite the area to work with thumbup
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]