A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Nur Please ID these flowers - December 26th, 2006 at 01:49 AM
Hi everyone! smile

I have some flowers to be identified. I've been trying to find their names on the internet, but to no avail. ters I'd really appreciate your help.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Hafizah287/Flowers
Posted By: flowerguesser Re: Please ID these flowers - December 26th, 2006 at 02:13 AM
8. Orchid
14. looks like a pink Mandaville vine.
10. white star Japanese magnolia

those are all the names that I can come up with right now. hope this helps some.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Please ID these flowers - December 26th, 2006 at 03:36 AM
2 might be portulaca or carnation or mum (need a better look at the leaves)

5 some type of bromeliad

8 looks like a bearded iris to me

9 is peace lily

11, 12 & 14 look like hibiscus (aka rose of sharon or rose mallow)

can you take pics that show the foilage/growth patterns, too? sometimes the leaves can help with id.
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: Please ID these flowers - December 26th, 2006 at 04:19 PM
8 ~ Cattleya Orchid
11 & 12 ~ Turnera ulmifolia
13 ~ Bauhinia blakeana
14 ~ I see this one is labled Mandevilla splendens, and perhaps it is,
but what I can see of the foliage looks like Adenium obesum , to me. Duh

I agree that photos including a bit more foliage might help with a few of the others. wink
Posted By: kennyso Re: Please ID these flowers - December 26th, 2006 at 09:31 PM
Not too sure, but three looks like a pink st john's wort. six might be a lords and ladies (does it have spotted green leaves?) Maybe seven is a yellow datura? Your pics are great!
Posted By: Shirley4 Re: Please ID these flowers - December 26th, 2006 at 11:30 PM
#7. Looks like a Trumpet Vine or Chalise Cup

#9. Looks like a Peace Lily or a Snake Lily
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - December 27th, 2006 at 01:12 AM
Hi! smile

Thank you so much for those of you who have helped in identifying the flowers. I'm really glad to have identified a portion of the flowers.

Picture 2: Most probably not Carnation, due to its size: about two centimetres. But from pictures of Portulaca I viewed on the Net, it could be it, or a related species. Their leaves look almost the same (succulent and leathery). However, unlike Portulaca, this has more petals (very soft to the touch - I love it!). I replaced the photo with one which is more zoomed out.

Picture 3: This is actually one of my favourite flowers. I saw it in the woods during one of my trekkings a few weeks back. It is too bad however that its species is still unclear. It looks a lot like St. John's Wort. But I see some difference in the flower buds and leaves. Could they be related? Someone suggested that it as Cratoxylum sp. But, probably not. Hm.. I'm not sure.

Picture 6: No, it doesn't have spotted green leaves.

Picture 7: Nope, not yellow Datura. (Thanks for the compliment, kennyso!) Not Trumpet Vine either. I can't find pictures of Chalise Cup at Google.

Picture 9: I searched 'Peace Lily' on Wikipedia, and yes, it resembles a lot. The genus is Spathiphyllum. However, today, I went to the bookstore and saw the scientific name to be Spathiphyllopsis minahasse. Hm.. Close.. but why the difference? When I Googled 'Spathiphyllopsis Minahasse', the results were mostly related to an artist named Van Nooten.

Flower 10: I'm still not sure what it is, but I don't think so it is Japanese Magnolia. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I've provided another photo of the flower from a slightly different angle (picture 15) to have a better view of the leaves. It is however not the same flower in 10, (a different bloom - taken 2 weeks later). Notice that this one has 7 petals, as opposed to the prior one - only 6. I wonder what caused it.

Picture 14: Yes, I think it is Adenium obesum. But, what's the difference in floral appearance between Adenium obesum and Mandevilla splendens? How do we differentiate?
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: Please ID these flowers - December 27th, 2006 at 01:15 AM
#s10 & 15 are Magnolia, perhaps "Little Gem" which is a dwarf cultivar
of Magnolia grandiflora ("Southern Magnolia").

The plant in your photos appears to be small/young,
and "Little Gem" does have a tendency to bloom at an early age.
The flowers of M. grandiflora can exhibit from 6 to 12 petals.
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - December 27th, 2006 at 01:21 AM
Here's a brief description for some of the flowers. Hope this helps. wink

Picture 1: Small, between 1.5 to 2 centimetres.

Picture 10: Large, about 8 to 9 centimetres.

Picture 4: This is more of a weed. But to me, pretty, nevertheless. The flower is small, about a centimetre.
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - December 27th, 2006 at 01:30 AM
I added a photo (picture 16) - picture 1, zoomed out. smile
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Please ID these flowers - December 27th, 2006 at 01:44 AM
3 to me, does NOT look like a St. John's wort..
I thought they were yellow..
*The shape of the flower and the stamen's do look like the "shape" of them" but not in color..*
I am not 100% sure of this, but in any reading I've come acrossed and the 2 varieties I have,
both are yellow..
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - December 27th, 2006 at 02:33 AM
Ok, I found Chalice Vine on Wikipedia, but that's not the one.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Please ID these flowers - December 27th, 2006 at 02:49 AM
Was #16 planted, or do they grow wild????
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: Please ID these flowers - December 27th, 2006 at 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Nur:

Picture 14: Yes, I think it is Adenium obesum. But, what's the difference in floral appearance between Adenium obesum and Mandevilla splendens? How do we differentiate?
Generally speaking, Mandevilla flowers are larger,
but the best way to tell the two apart is by the appearance of the entire plant,
rather than just the flowers.
While the flowers are quite similar, the plants are remarkably dis-similar.

I wonder if #16 might be Arachis glabrata .
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - December 27th, 2006 at 03:33 AM
Number 16 is planted as flower bed.

Yes, it is Arachis glabrata! grinnnn Thanks!
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - December 27th, 2006 at 03:36 AM
Oh, and thanks also for the info on Mandevilla.
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: Please ID these flowers - December 27th, 2006 at 04:10 AM
Very happy to share info and help if I can.

Don't know if this site
can help you nail down the cultivar of Spathiphyllum in photo #9.

Oh, and as to the 'Spathiphyllopsis Minahasse' reference,
Duh I must admit, I've got no clue. shocked
I wonder if Van Nooten is a contemporary artist?
If not, perhaps it is an archaic term.
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: Please ID these flowers - December 27th, 2006 at 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Nur:

Picture 2: Most probably not Carnation, due to its size: about two centimetres. But from pictures of Portulaca I viewed on the Net, it could be it, or a related species. Their leaves look almost the same (succulent and leathery). However, unlike Portulaca, this has more petals (very soft to the touch - I love it!). I replaced the photo with one which is more zoomed out.
I'd guess that it's a Portulaca grandiflora hybrid .
Posted By: Shirley4 Re: Please ID these flowers - December 27th, 2006 at 05:32 AM
I have a picture of #1 in my Web Shots folder, in lavendar, which will not let me copy or transfer. But, it's common name is Butterfly Pea; its other name is Clitoria Ternata.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Please ID these flowers - December 27th, 2006 at 06:12 AM
I'm back lookin' at the picture..
#1 looks like #16...
Were they the same plant??
Posted By: Shirley4 Re: Please ID these flowers - December 27th, 2006 at 06:24 AM
You are probably right Weezie. Nur posted earlier: (I added a photo (picture 16) - picture 1, zoomed out.)
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - December 28th, 2006 at 03:25 AM
Thanks again for the info, zuzu's petals! smile

Hm.. Yes, I think 'Spathiphyllopsis Minahasse' is an archaic term, because I saw a website mentioning: Spathiphyllopsis J. E. Teysmann & S. Binnendijk, 1863.

About the Portulaca flower, yes, now that looks more like the one in my photo! Thanks! You know, the first time I saw it, which was at my university, I fell in love with it. It looked like a rose, just much smaller and dainty. Hm.. Now, I wonder if it's still there, because the last time I passed by that area, the gardeners were clearing the flower bed. ters
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - December 28th, 2006 at 03:29 AM
Yes weezie13, they're the same.
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - December 28th, 2006 at 03:31 AM
Nope, it's not Butterfly Pea, though at first glance they may look similar.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Please ID these flowers - December 28th, 2006 at 04:36 AM
Yep, then I'll say #1 and #16 are the same and concur it's Arachis glabrata...

Boy you've got some really good plants here
for the Mystery Section!!! thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Please ID these flowers - December 28th, 2006 at 04:43 AM
nur, one of the 'common' names for portulaca is moss rose...

they readily re-seed, so, even if the plants were pulled up, i'm sure you'll see some growing come spring!
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - December 28th, 2006 at 04:38 PM
Hm.. Yes, I do hope so that when I go back to uni in January, I'll be seeing those pretty moss roses again. smile In Brunei, we don't have the four seasons. It's sunshine all year round, except for November till January, the rainy season.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Please ID these flowers - December 28th, 2006 at 07:14 PM
Wow!!
Must be nice..
Can you tell us where is Brunei???
Just being curious?
I've never heard of it before?
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Please ID these flowers - December 28th, 2006 at 08:43 PM
Could number 7 be a buttercup? If you scroll down on that webpage to the pictures of the flower, you will see that it looks a lot like it!

Dianna
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - December 28th, 2006 at 09:32 PM
Actually, you're not the first person to ask that question. Most of the people I meet online don't know where Brunei is.

Well, Brunei is located on the Borneo island, in Southeast Asia, a neighbouring country of Malaysia and Singapore.

Sunshine all year round may be nice, but I'd love to experience the four seasons! Perhaps, one day I will. smile
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Please ID these flowers - December 28th, 2006 at 11:10 PM
4 season's has it's pro's and con's..
Skiing's nice.. shoveling and the heat bill's aren't so nice..
but I know, over here down south, they have biting bugs and biting animals, that we don't have in the snowy, colder north and I don't think I could handle that..

Anyways..
How many plants/flowers do we have that are still NOT identified??
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Please ID these flowers - December 28th, 2006 at 11:25 PM
I'll see if Rugby, Papito or Donna/Gardencrazy know any of these.. they're very good guessers' also... thumbup thumbup thumbup
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - December 29th, 2006 at 01:11 AM
Well, I'd love to see flowers bloom in Spring, snow in Winter, falling leaves in Autumn, and ... more flowers in Summer? flw

Four more flowers left to be identified: 3, 4, 6, and 7.

Thanks for your help, weezie13! wink
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - December 29th, 2006 at 01:25 AM
I've identified number 7! It's Merremia borneensis. I don't know its common name though. Searching for it right now.

That means, 3, 4, and 6 left. smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Please ID these flowers - December 29th, 2006 at 08:01 AM
i came up with mile-a-minute vine as the common name for that one.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Please ID these flowers - December 29th, 2006 at 08:10 AM
could number 6 also be red ginger? i googled and i do see some pics that look pretty close to that one.

also, it's leaf is similar to the one that you have identified as red ginger - even if the flower is a bit different. there are numerous types of red ginger...
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - December 30th, 2006 at 08:45 AM
Hm.. Nope, I don't think it's mile-a-minute vine. The leaves, flower and genus are different. I don't think it has an English common name.
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - December 30th, 2006 at 08:48 AM
You're right about number 6 though. It's not of the same genus as Red Ginger, however. But it is in the Ginger family. wink
Posted By: papito Re: Please ID these flowers - December 30th, 2006 at 11:12 PM
#6, check
Alpinia .

Watch for showy inflorescence.
Posted By: nmlAlba-dC15 Re: Please ID these flowers - January 4th, 2007 at 04:03 PM
Hi Nur

"Selamat berkenalan dari Norhaini di Malaysia..."

wavey
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - January 4th, 2007 at 04:24 PM
Hello Norhaini

Apa khabar? smile

Nice to meet you. wavey
Posted By: Frann Re: Please ID these flowers - January 5th, 2007 at 10:25 PM
I believe that number 9 has been mis-tagged as a Peace Lily ... I think it's actually an Anthurium.

http://87.98.219.198/galerie-membre,fleur-anthurium,anthurium-blanc-200.jpg
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Please ID these flowers - January 5th, 2007 at 10:30 PM
Ooops, Frann...We can't see anything on the
link you posted...
Can you re~do it??? thumbup
Posted By: nmlAlba-dC15 Re: Please ID these flowers - January 5th, 2007 at 10:43 PM
Ohh baik-baik saja! Gembira ada teman serumpun dalam forum ini!

Hi everyone soo sorry for this..wont go on long... just telling Nur that i m happy to see a member from da same side of da globe n around da same site...!!

Have a nice day!!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Please ID these flowers - January 5th, 2007 at 11:00 PM
Originally posted by nmlAlba-dC15:
Hi everyone soo sorry for this..wont go on long... just telling Nur that i m happy to see a member from da same side of da globe n around da same site...!!
We love it, so, not a problem....enjoy seeing people get together and meet up.. thumbup grinnnn flw
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Please ID these flowers - January 6th, 2007 at 05:36 AM
frann, i too, did a double-take on #9.

i think it is a peace lily tho...the stamen is larger than for the anthurium. from what i can see of the leaves, they too, look like peace lily rather than anthurium.
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - January 6th, 2007 at 04:53 PM
It's a peace lily then. smile thumbup
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - January 6th, 2007 at 05:03 PM
Likewise, saya pun gembira! wink

Berapa ramai agaknya dari Malaysia atau Brunei kat forum ni. Hm...
Posted By: nmlAlba-dC15 Re: Please ID these flowers - January 6th, 2007 at 06:12 PM
As far s i know...just U n i!
Posted By: Frann Re: Please ID these flowers - January 7th, 2007 at 06:19 AM
The Anthurium link isn't working for me either now ... go figure.

Here's another ...

This is an Anthurium:
Click here to see link...
While this is a Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum):
Click here to see this link...

(I hope these don't appear blank ...)

Frann
Posted By: Frann Re: Please ID these flowers - January 7th, 2007 at 06:20 AM
The stamens of Anthuriums aren't nearly as bumpy as those of Spathiphyllums.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Please ID these flowers - January 7th, 2007 at 06:37 AM
Frann,
Just so you know, I shortened your links..
They were going off my page..
Posted By: Nur Re: Please ID these flowers - January 7th, 2007 at 06:52 AM
Hm... So, is it Anthurium or peace lily? Duh
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: Please ID these flowers - January 7th, 2007 at 09:23 AM
I vote spathe.

the hood of a spathe looks sort of like a cobra.

the hood of the anthurium looks lobed and is grasping the stamen.
Posted By: Frann Re: Please ID these flowers - January 8th, 2007 at 02:11 AM
Weezie,
Thanks for shortening my links (can you tell me how you did that?)

RugbyHukr,
You're right, the Anthurium in the link I posted does look fairly lobed ... but that's because of the cultivar/hybrid.

I dunno ... I still vote Anthurium.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Please ID these flowers - January 8th, 2007 at 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Frann:
Weezie,
Thanks for shortening my links (can you tell me how you did that?)
Sure can.......

First go to the site/URL that you want to copy..
Highlight it blue, and and opposite click on it and copy...
Then go back to your post that you want to post on...

When you look at the Quick Reply box,
You'll see 4 rectangle shaped boxes, and the 3rd one over,
*or second to last* will say FULL REPLY FORM, click on that...
Scroll down a bit under the reply box and under Instant UBB Codeā„¢ sentence, you'll see two columns, the first column and first box says URL, click on that.. a long rectangle box will come up, with a blue http:// thing..
either delete that or backspace on it...
Then opposite click your URL into that space..
click on OK, then another long rectangle box will show up and it'll say WEB PAGE in blue, back space on that too... then type in what you want it, like the word or wording you want on it..click OK.. and ADD REPLY and you're done...

and if I've confused you in any step,
don't hesitate to re~ask, always glad to help! thumbup
Posted By: Frann Re: Please ID these flowers - January 9th, 2007 at 01:10 AM
A-ha,
Thanks Weezie smile

Frann
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]