A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Malica Cat goes crazy for this, whatever it is? - August 10th, 2006 at 02:54 PM
Every once in a while when coming in from the garden, my cat goes absolutely bonkers. (She's actually tried to crawl up the leg of my shorts). I'm pretty sure it's this mystery plant that's causing her sudden interest.

(from earlier in the year, before blooming)
[Linked Image]

(half flopped over because of the wind last week)
[Linked Image]

Thanks again for your help.
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: Cat goes crazy for this, whatever it is? - August 10th, 2006 at 10:15 PM
Malica, the second picture looks like Catnip and, of course, that would drive most any cat crazy. laugh The two pictures really don't appear to be the same plants...is that due to the difference is sunlight maybe?
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Cat goes crazy for this, whatever it is? - August 10th, 2006 at 11:01 PM
It's catmint, not sure if it's different than catnip, but I've got some and they call it catmint. My cats love it too! thumbup My daughter made a little fabric sachet and filled it with this catmint and the kittens love that little ball.
Posted By: slredmond Re: Cat goes crazy for this, whatever it is? - August 10th, 2006 at 11:05 PM
You could cut some, hang it in bunches upside down to dry, then you'll have treats through the winter! Very entertaining!
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Cat goes crazy for this, whatever it is? - August 10th, 2006 at 11:16 PM
That's funny, Sandy, I do hang it and dry it , the only problem is the cats climb the walls trying to get at it!
Posted By: flycats Re: Cat goes crazy for this, whatever it is? - August 11th, 2006 at 03:26 AM
Here's a pic of my catmint which is getting huge!

[Linked Image]

(Your post was edited because your picture exceeded the 640x480 size limit)
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Cat goes crazy for this, whatever it is? - August 11th, 2006 at 05:35 AM
That looks like catnip to me...

My cats used to sleep in the plants,
and roll around and look at you with those dreamy eyes!!!
*I miss my kitties* ters
Posted By: Malica Re: Cat goes crazy for this, whatever it is? - August 11th, 2006 at 01:20 PM
Well aren't I just a silly goose! I thought catnip was a grass (probably confusing it with catgrass), so I didn't even bother to look up pictures for it.

Yes, it is catnip. The picutres were taken at different times of the day and about a month apart -- that's why they look so different.

There will be no more blurry pictures from now on. I just bought a new camera which can focus as close as 2.8". smile
Posted By: slredmond Re: Cat goes crazy for this, whatever it is? - August 11th, 2006 at 11:22 PM
Good point, Mel!!! laugh Maybe hanging it from your garage rafters AWAY from kitties would be a good idea!

And yes, the cat mint will get huge. Very pretty, though.
Posted By: flycats Re: Cat goes crazy for this, whatever it is? - August 12th, 2006 at 02:11 AM
Nepeta x faassenii = catmint
Nepeta cateria = catnip
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]