A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: 1978LespaulCustom Spring Water - January 18th, 2007 at 04:49 PM
Hello. Hope everyone is well. I have a question regarding what type of water to use, in particular with my Aloezilla plant. The water here is very hard, and when the water evaporates it leaves the mineral depsoits on the out sides of my tearakata pots. Lots of caclcium. If I use distelled water which has no minerals will that affect the plant? The regualr tap water ruins the exterior of the pots. Thanks!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Spring Water - January 19th, 2007 at 12:05 AM
How about rain water?? I collect it and store in sterilized gallon jugs ( from milk or juice)
Posted By: 1978LespaulCustom Re: Spring Water - January 19th, 2007 at 02:36 AM
Hmm,,rainwater, i don;t know. I am in the North East near the Adirondak Moutains, and we get Acid rain. No not the type that gives you a buzz. The nasty stuff that kills trees.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Spring Water - January 19th, 2007 at 02:46 AM
You can always leave an open jug of water out for 24- 48 hours and it will evaporate alot of the minerals that affect your plant... Like you would do in a fish tank... distilled would work too...
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: Spring Water - January 19th, 2007 at 06:50 AM
I, too, have extremely hard water. The plants seem to love it. If you don't like what it does to the pots, use distilled, or just cut your water with the distilled. Or brush off the pots as needed. Carniverous plants don't like minerals, and anything that wants misting will get hard water spots unless you use distilled. Just don't use water from a watersoftener that uses salt. The salt will build up in the soil over time and dammage the plants.
Posted By: Amany Re: Spring Water - January 20th, 2007 at 06:29 AM
I use spring water. Our water has lots of flouride and chlorine. Our hard water doesn't seem to harm plants, but it gives them brown tips. With my spring water, my plants hardly ever get them.

It's never very costly to just pick up a three or four gallons when I go to Wal Mart. I think I pay about 70 cents per gallon.
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: Spring Water - January 25th, 2007 at 06:23 AM
Ah! My adeniums get brown tips I can't explain. I shall now try bottled water for them and see if this helps. Thanks.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]