A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Convolvulus begginer -need some advice about seeds - March 20th, 2007 at 02:57 PM
I have just sown some convolvulus seeds and some livingstone daisy. They are in my bedroom with newspaper underneath and i have put a small sanwich bag on top of each of them so they will germinate. They are not recieving any light yet but if i open the blinds so the sun will shine through the room will this give them enough light?
Posted By: webwise Re: begginer -need some advice about seeds - March 20th, 2007 at 03:16 PM
Silverbush Common Name: Silverbush
Genus: Convolvulus
Species: cneorum
Skill Level: Experienced
Exposure: Full sun
Hardiness: Half Hardy
Soil type: Well-drained/light, Dry, Sandy
Height: 60cm
Spread: 75cm
Time to plant seeds: March to May
Time to take cuttings: June to August

An unusual shrubby member of a genus that comprises mostly climbers and scramblers. It is a native of Mediterranean limestone hills, and enjoys a hot sunny position in a rock garden, where fertility is fairly low and drainage efficient. The evergreen foliage is covered in silky silver-grey hairs, and the flowers start as pink buds which open into 2.5cm (1in) trumpets, with blush white petals marked with a central pink stripe. An attractive plant that benefits from annual pruning to maintain bushy growth down to the ground. The Royal Horticultural Society has given it its prestigious Award of Garden Merit (AGM).

I never tried convulvulus but as it is Mediterranean (I'm the only person I know that can spell that without looking it up, lol)I really think it will like lots of light. Try standing the tray (or whatever you are growing in) actually in the window, unless your window is north facing in which case it probably won't be enough anyway. I think east or west is best. South might be a little too much even in our green and pleasant land and they could go leggy.

Livingstone daisies are lovely little plants which apparently do well even in Alaska which is definitely NOT our good old UK zone 8 but again they apparently need lots of light for germination so once more, it's a window job.

You don't say exactly where in the UK you are from so if it's Scotland then you are probably OK south facing them. grinnnn
Posted By: Convolvulus Re: begginer -need some advice about seeds - March 20th, 2007 at 03:22 PM
Hi. i live in Wales. The convolvulus is called blue ensign. Would they have different requirements because its a different type?
Posted By: Convolvulus Re: begginer -need some advice about seeds - March 20th, 2007 at 08:03 PM
could i put some play sand on top of the soil to stop it from growing fungus?
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]