A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Frann Ukranian Tomatoes - March 15th, 2007 at 05:08 PM
Greetings,
I just picked up some Tomato seeds at a garden centre, but their in Ukranian ('thought I'd try something new this year). The sales person translated their names for me, but I know little else about them and a search on Google didn't really turn up anything. Is anyone familiar with "Earth Wonder" or "Giant King" tomatoes?

Frann
Posted By: johnCT Re: Ukranian Tomatoes - March 16th, 2007 at 12:48 AM
Are you sure its not Early Wonder? Early wonder is not a ukranian variety for sure.
Posted By: Frann Re: Ukranian Tomatoes - March 16th, 2007 at 05:16 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not Early Wonder -- the saleswoman told me the plant produces really large fruit, around 2 lbs. I believe Early Wonder is only about 6 oz. But thanks anyhow.
Posted By: webwise Re: Ukranian Tomatoes - March 17th, 2007 at 01:52 PM
The only thing Google finds is on eBay:

Click here for viewing Tomato
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Ukranian Tomatoes - March 17th, 2007 at 08:46 PM
Just shortened your URL Webwise...
Posted By: Frann Re: Ukranian Tomatoes - March 18th, 2007 at 01:36 PM
Thanks, webwise smile
...now to find someone who speaks Ukranian!

Cheers,
Frann
Posted By: webwise Re: Ukranian Tomatoes - March 18th, 2007 at 03:59 PM
Not quite as complicated as that Frann. It's in Russian which is spoken by many Ukranians. You could get a trial version of an interpreter which whilst not perfect, might give you some idea. Try: http://www.downloads.com and do a search on 'language interpreter' then, if you don't know anything about computers, find a neighbor's kid (the kids are better than us) to copy and paste it in for you. You might just get enough to understand it. This has to be the gardening joke of the year. confused laugh laugh
Posted By: webwise Re: Ukranian Tomatoes - March 18th, 2007 at 04:54 PM
Sorry. It is complicated. Thought I would do my good Samaritan act and use the software to translate it (no matter how badly) for you. The problem is that it is not a text file at all but a jpeg graphics file. i.e. it is just a picture of some writing. So I think you WILL need to find someone who speaks Russian. I'm afraid I can't help. I am limited to French, Italian and German, oh and gobbledegook.
confused perpl
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Ukranian Tomatoes - March 19th, 2007 at 01:18 PM
Frann,
Just out of curiousity,
What were the exact words/or lettering on the package..
If you post those, maybe something can be/could be hunted down from those words????
Worth a try...
Posted By: webwise Re: Ukranian Tomatoes - March 19th, 2007 at 04:20 PM
Weezie, Frann would need to load a Cyrillic alphabet driver onto the site before she can post the words, assuming they are in Cyrillic (Russian) alphabet. frown
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]