A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Dixie Angel Any Idea What This Is? - September 18th, 2006 at 09:58 AM
This was a nice surprise that popped up in the potted maple tree that my aunt gave me...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I haven't a clue as to what it is, but it sure is a pretty surprise!

Dianna
Posted By: G~mom Re: Any Idea What This Is? - September 18th, 2006 at 07:18 PM
It's a Showy Rattlebox

Very pretty plant thumbup
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Any Idea What This Is? - September 18th, 2006 at 07:19 PM
Thank you, G-mom!

Now I just have to figure out how to collect seeds from it. It sure is pretty...

Dianna
Posted By: G~mom Re: Any Idea What This Is? - September 18th, 2006 at 07:34 PM
You need to collect them when they start turning brown. If you wait too long they "explode" and all of your seeds will be blown to the winds.

I got some seeds when we went camping last October. The plant that i got them from was 4ft wide and 5ft tall.
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Any Idea What This Is? - September 18th, 2006 at 07:54 PM
Thanks for the info, G-mom!

Guess I'd better move it out from under the deck, huh? laugh

Dianna
Posted By: G~mom Re: Any Idea What This Is? - September 18th, 2006 at 07:58 PM
Yeah,I guess, laugh lol laugh
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Any Idea What This Is? - September 19th, 2006 at 02:20 AM
What a sunshiney looking plant!
Lucky you - a beautiful bonus from your aunt!

Did this just start blooming - as an end of summer flower?
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Any Idea What This Is? - September 19th, 2006 at 03:34 AM
Yes, Lynne, it just started blooming. I didn't even know it was there until I was working in the yard yesterday and watering my potted plants.

Don't know if I will manage to get some seeds, but I will send you some if I do...

Dianna
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]