A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: dfrench200 Shade Garden Photos - May 16th, 2006 at 04:05 AM
If anyone is interested I have posted some photos of my shade garden. Enjoy!

http://www.pbase.com/dfrench200/garden_2006
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 16th, 2006 at 07:08 AM
Very very nice, Doug!

What is the twin leaf plant - haven't seen that before.
Posted By: dfrench200 Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 16th, 2006 at 09:13 AM
It is Jeffersonia Diphylla an uncommon native to the midatlantic (not to my back yard however :-) ). Flowers early in the season with a bloom that looks very similar to Bloodroot. The bloom only lasts 2 days a the most. The foliage is the main attraction and stands about 12-18 inches high and each pair of leaf is about 5" across. You can see the seed pod too. I have not collected them before but I did notice a seedling this year aproximately 5 feet away from the parent plant...cool!
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 16th, 2006 at 11:55 PM
Doug, what a beautiful shade garden! thumbup Of course, I love shade gardens luv because they always seem so serene and peaceful! They can provide a quiet retreat where you can just kick-back, relax and get refreshed! wink
Posted By: Starla in GA Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 17th, 2006 at 02:09 AM
Oh how pretty!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 17th, 2006 at 05:05 AM
very, very nice!!
Posted By: mom54 Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 17th, 2006 at 05:49 AM
Doug, I love your garden. Wish you were here to do the same to mine!!!!! cool
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 17th, 2006 at 08:56 AM
Doug thanks for your pictures. Your garden is beautiful, so beautiful that I saved some pictures for my desktop. Hope you don't mind.

I agree with patches sooooo peaceful.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 17th, 2006 at 11:01 AM
Hey Doug,

I'm alittle father south in Virginia but we have to make a deal about the Helleborus. I tried starting helleborus from seed last year and it was a big failure. How about I send you the seeds and you send me back a couple of the plants and keep the rest for germinating them.

And then there are the Arisaema sikokianum, what a great looking plant. How long have you had it? Is it hard to care for? Tell all please. I think it looks fantastic.

Your entire garden looks fantastic. I'm so glad you were willing to share your pictures.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 17th, 2006 at 11:23 AM
TK, I started a thread in this forum earlier this year regarding my Helleborus. I seem to remember someone telling me that they take a long time to sprout. frown I've never tried growing them from seed so I don't know if that's true! Duh
Posted By: dfrench200 Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 17th, 2006 at 12:20 PM
Originally posted by tkhooper:
Hey Doug,

I'm alittle father south in Virginia but we have to make a deal about the Helleborus. I tried starting helleborus from seed last year and it was a big failure. How about I send you the seeds and you send me back a couple of the plants and keep the rest for germinating them.

And then there are the Arisaema sikokianum, what a great looking plant. How long have you had it? Is it hard to care for? Tell all please. I think it looks fantastic.

Your entire garden looks fantastic. I'm so glad you were willing to share your pictures.
Thank you for the kind words!!! As for the Arisaema Sik. This will be its 3rd rebloom for me. I didnt do too much to the soil other than ad a lot of organic matter. I think I have been somewhat lucky in that I have since read that they can rot easily. I have planted more and added a lot of grit to help with the drainage as I have had other Arisaema varieties disappear after 1 year.
As for the seeds I am far to impatient to wait for that. Im always willing to try though!!!
Posted By: dfrench200 Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 17th, 2006 at 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Rosepetal:
Doug thanks for your pictures. Your garden is beautiful, so beautiful that I saved some pictures for my desktop. Hope you don't mind.

I agree with patches sooooo peaceful.
I am flattered that you are using my photos for your desktop! I have an equal passion for photography as I do gardening. Keep checking the website as I am either planting new stuff or taking photos of what is already there :-)
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 17th, 2006 at 03:09 PM
I'll keep watching Doug. thumbup

Thanks for the belated permission. laugh laugh
Posted By: preciousgreenfingers Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 17th, 2006 at 08:05 PM
Dfrench200- What a beautiful garden! Its really impressive.
Posted By: johnCT Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 18th, 2006 at 06:30 AM
Wow, some people really have a gift for designing their gardens and you seem like one of them. The way the pathway winds through the beautiful landscape is just wonderful. Love the variety of plants also.
Posted By: connickfan Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 18th, 2006 at 07:29 AM
Wow - what an absolutely beautiful garden!
Posted By: cinta Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 20th, 2006 at 05:17 PM
Doug that is beautiful. I love your combinations just perfect.
Posted By: Michael15r Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 22nd, 2006 at 11:58 AM
Wow! I love it, a ideal shade garden! I love the pathways. No money spent! Presently perfect, loving it a lot!
Posted By: Bernice Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 22nd, 2006 at 10:35 PM
Wow! Now that is impressive. I feel like I would really enjoy spending some quiet time there. Thanx for the pics.
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 23rd, 2006 at 05:51 AM
Beautiful garden. great photography too. You could make those shots into greeting cards!!
Posted By: netwiz Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 23rd, 2006 at 01:50 PM
What a wonderful shade garden! I will be using it as my inspiration when I design my own. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Joanne
Posted By: ladystressout Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 27th, 2006 at 07:51 AM
Doug the pictures on the west side is gorgeous! lots of color now does the area get any sun at all or is it in the shade all the time?Reason I got an area west side that gets shade in the morning and sun in the afternoon?Would the flowers purple and red tones work in my garden?Japanese maple what size does it get?Thank you for sharing the pictures just beautiful.
Posted By: Dragonfly Blue13 Re: Shade Garden Photos - May 31st, 2006 at 03:48 PM
Wow, what a fabulous garden. Thanks for sharing. wink
Posted By: lilylu Re: Shade Garden Photos - June 1st, 2006 at 04:00 AM
All I can say, is WOW!!.....gorgeous! muggs
Posted By: Squirrel Re: Shade Garden Photos - June 1st, 2006 at 05:42 AM
Doug, Absolutly gorgeous!!!! You get a tranquill feeling just looking at the pix. The only thing missing is a little bench or chair to sit and soak up the atmosphere. That colombine is beautiful. Your Areisaema Sikokianum is great. You just have to keep looking at it. lol My neighbor has two and she calls them Jack in the Pulpits, but your Jacks are much smaller. Are they in the same family? I have some shade and I got 2 Toad Lilies this year. The pix look neat, but I`ll have to wait until fall to see what it`s going to be like. Exotic, I think? Duh laugh clp Sue
Posted By: Squirrel Re: Shade Garden Photos - June 1st, 2006 at 05:55 AM
Cinta, enjoyed your pix very much!!!! thumbup I`m from Pa., also. smile smile Do you have to take all those plants inside in the winter? You must have a florda room. laugh Thanks for sharing. Sue
Posted By: plantingnewb Re: Shade Garden Photos - June 1st, 2006 at 03:03 PM
Doug,
Could you tell me the name of the bright pink & purple flowers that are in the looking east pic.
Do you know if they would grow in Wi.
I'm re-doing an area in my front yard, which is mostly shade & would like to find some flowering bushes.
Tammy
Posted By: dfrench200 Re: Shade Garden Photos - June 4th, 2006 at 10:49 PM
Originally posted by plantingnewb:
Doug,
Could you tell me the name of the bright pink & purple flowers that are in the looking east pic.
Do you know if they would grow in Wi.
I'm re-doing an area in my front yard, which is mostly shade & would like to find some flowering bushes.
Tammy
Hi Tammy, those flowering bushes are azaleas. Good luck with the 're-do'!
Posted By: dfrench200 Re: Shade Garden Photos - June 4th, 2006 at 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Doug, Absolutly gorgeous!!!! You get a tranquill feeling just looking at the pix. The only thing missing is a little bench or chair to sit and soak up the atmosphere. That colombine is beautiful. Your Areisaema Sikokianum is great. You just have to keep looking at it. lol My neighbor has two and she calls them Jack in the Pulpits, but your Jacks are much smaller. Are they in the same family? I have some shade and I got 2 Toad Lilies this year. The pix look neat, but I`ll have to wait until fall to see what it`s going to be like. Exotic, I think? Duh laugh clp Sue
The green Jack in the Pulpits are the North American natives so they are probably the same (asuming hers are not imports). Our native Jacks have quit a bit of variety... some of them have purple stripes on the hood with a purple spathe. I love the Toad Lilies I have. Very cool flowers!!
Posted By: twwright Re: Shade Garden Photos - June 4th, 2006 at 10:58 PM
Doug, What is the beautiful "red" flowering shrub along the fence???!!!

Terry in Texas
Posted By: dfrench200 Re: Shade Garden Photos - June 4th, 2006 at 10:59 PM
Originally posted by ladystressout:
Doug the pictures on the west side is gorgeous! lots of color now does the area get any sun at all or is it in the shade all the time?Reason I got an area west side that gets shade in the morning and sun in the afternoon?Would the flowers purple and red tones work in my garden?Japanese maple what size does it get?Thank you for sharing the pictures just beautiful.
Thanks for the comments!! I dont get a whole lot of sun. The upper canopy of the trees is pretty dense. If you are refering to the purple and red shrubs then they are azaleas. That Japanese maple variety can get big. But I have had mine in the ground for 6 years and it is about 6 feet wide and 4 feet tall. It is a weeping variety so it wont get too tall but it will continue to get wider.
Posted By: dfrench200 Re: Shade Garden Photos - June 4th, 2006 at 11:07 PM
Originally posted by twwright:
Doug, What is the beautiful "red" flowering shrub along the fence???!!!

Terry in Texas
Hi Terry! That is an Azalea... Thanks!
Posted By: plantingnewb Re: Shade Garden Photos - June 5th, 2006 at 02:51 AM
Doug,
Last week I was looking at azaleas, but I was a little hesitant to buy, not being sure about what to plant.
They look very bright. I love the pinks and purples.
Great, that helps me make up my mind.
Thanks
Tammy
Wisconsin
Posted By: Lorna Re: Shade Garden Photos - June 9th, 2006 at 09:30 AM
What a beautiful garden!
Posted By: eClaire Re: Shade Garden Photos - June 13th, 2006 at 02:13 AM
Doug - what beautiful garden!! great photography as well. i am extremely jealous smile
Posted By: shanbear Re: Shade Garden Photos - June 13th, 2006 at 08:34 AM
Doug:

I'm with Claire on this one... seems as if someone is as good of a photographer as he is a gardener! Beautiful pictures! thumbup
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Shade Garden Photos - June 14th, 2006 at 01:56 AM
Amazing pictures Doug thumbup flw flw
Posted By: Chrissy Re: Shade Garden Photos - June 14th, 2006 at 07:06 AM
What a beautiful garden, your photos are absolutely breathtaking:)
Posted By: merrillzone5 Re: Shade Garden Photos - August 14th, 2006 at 01:54 PM
Absolutely stunning!!! Hat's off to you!
Posted By: summergirl Re: Shade Garden Photos - August 16th, 2006 at 02:11 PM
Beautiful gardens
Nice photography too!
Posted By: BigJimSlade Re: Shade Garden Photos - October 8th, 2006 at 09:24 AM
Awesome! You should be proud of those pictures. smile
Posted By: datazmom Re: Shade Garden Photos - March 11th, 2007 at 06:22 PM
That is beautiful. Keep up the good work . Would love to see more . Thanks a bunch for sharing them .
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Shade Garden Photos - March 14th, 2007 at 03:01 PM
I agree....keep em' coming!!!
Posted By: dodge Re: Shade Garden Photos - March 15th, 2007 at 01:44 AM
doug

You put us all to shame........

Very fine work.......
b
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Shade Garden Photos - March 15th, 2007 at 04:18 AM
Doug, I hope you'll post some more pictures this year so we can see how it have grown and anything new you've done. wink I love luv looking at pictures of gardens from one year to the next. smile
Posted By: carino Re: Shade Garden Photos - March 24th, 2007 at 04:12 AM
Wow!! Doug, I just viewed your photos and they gave me a lift. Thank you very much for sharing. I got some ideas from looking at what you did.

What I noticed (besides your outstanding plants) was your soil. It certainly looked like you spend a lot of time bringing it to the condition it is in.

I echo what patches said. Some more pictures please.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Shade Garden Photos - March 24th, 2007 at 09:03 PM
Head on over to The New Forum..

Click here to jump to new forum...
Re~start a shade gardening post/thread there...

***There's lot's of fun new stuff there,
need any help, just holler***
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]