A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Carly Velvet Buttons - Mystery Solved! - August 2nd, 2004 at 07:05 AM
I know I should have taken a picture of this.

When we were out today, we stopped at a little parkette to eat sundaes from McDonald's (they're having their two-fer right now).

I always look over all the plants in this parkette.

These flowers are small - the eye is the size of a nickel - it has many little petals (like a daisy). It looks like rich velvet - there were green ones, deep wine, purple - gawd! I wanted those damned things! It was something like having Harrison Ford right here in my living room with my husband out for the evening - y'know?

It was all I could do not to rip the whole thing out by the roots and hustle it home. Of course, I did no such thing.

The outer petals of this eye are like wee fingernails standing on end - I did take one of the flowerheads and dissected it into my scrub pot - those little fingernail things seem to be the seeds - they look like marigold seeds when you take them apart.

I probably won't go down to that spot for at least two weeks - who knows what they are - anyone?

Yes, I'm joking about Harrison Ford.
Posted By: Back Mountain NEPA Re: Velvet Buttons - Mystery Solved! - August 3rd, 2004 at 03:10 PM
Calendula maybe?
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/barb/calendula.html
Posted By: Carly Re: Velvet Buttons - Mystery Solved! - August 5th, 2004 at 07:33 AM
Nope - I went to look at your link.

Guess I'd better stop there this weekend and get a picture.

Thanks for sharing the link though.

Maybe those seeds will come up in the scrub pot.

:-0
Posted By: Carly Re: Velvet Buttons - Mystery Solved! - August 8th, 2004 at 07:50 AM
Ha ha! I have to laugh at myself - I went back down to the parkette this afternoon and looked at the same flowers - they have opened some petals - they are ordinary coneflowers.

[Linked Image]
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]