A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: saintlorilea What is this for a something, cont. - December 18th, 2006 at 11:05 PM
The image didn't work. Try, try again.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/saintlorilea/DKplantDec.jpg
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: What is this for a something, cont. - December 19th, 2006 at 09:01 AM
Hi saintlorilea, wavey
When I looked at the photo of your plant, my first impression was that it was a Plumeria, although the vertical ridges on the stem are something that I've never seen before.
I took the liberty of showing your photo to a friend of mine,
she knows a LOT more than I do about Plumerias
and she felt the same as I did, that it looks like a Plumie,
but neither of us understands those vertical ridges. Duh

Have you ever seen this plant flower?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: What is this for a something, cont. - December 19th, 2006 at 10:41 AM
I sorta agree...
Can we see the end of the growing tip of the plant..
I think for me, that would be helpful to make a
complete ident..

Also, maybe also a closer look at the leaves for zuzu!!!

(I have one, for the veryyyyy first time in my entire life, mine's going dormant for the winter as I type)
Posted By: saintlorilea Re: What is this for a something, cont. - December 19th, 2006 at 04:08 PM
Thanks for quick responses! I will try to post a close-up of the growing tip. The "flowers" are clusters of 2-4 tiny brown husks from which stamen plumes emerge from the base of the leaves. What happens next is fascinating: fertilized pistils extend and at the tip of each is a triad capsule. Each capsule contains a round, hard seed (approx 3mm in diameter). When these are ripe, they "shoot" in all directions. I find new plants growing lustily in virtually every other plant pot in the room and vacuuming the floor sounds like a distant gun battle.
Posted By: maja24 Re: What is this for a something, cont. - December 19th, 2006 at 06:02 PM
Hi saintlorilea,

Wow, could you save some seeds for me? It sounds like a very interesting plant!!!
If you like i could sent you my seedlist and you can choose seeds you like!

All the best,
Paulien wavey
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: What is this for a something, cont. - December 19th, 2006 at 11:54 PM
Originally posted by saintlorilea:
The "flowers" are clusters of 2-4 tiny brown husks from which stamen plumes emerge from the base of the leaves. What happens next is fascinating . . .
Hmmm, well I'm at a loss,
that certainly does not sound like any Plumeria that I'm familiar with. laugh
I'm very intrigued, "fascinating" definitely seems like the right word for it.
I hope that someone recognizes this cool plant, I'll keep trying to find out, too.
Posted By: DowntoEarth Re: What is this for a something, cont. - December 21st, 2006 at 01:47 PM
It could be a "euphorbia" You can try looking up "zimmerpflanzen euphorbia leuconeura" maybe you will reconise it better than me.
Nice plant!

flw
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What is this for a something, cont. - December 21st, 2006 at 02:12 PM
it IS a nice plant - whatever it is!!

i'd be interested in seeds, too!!
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: What is this for a something, cont. - December 23rd, 2006 at 11:19 PM
Easy to figure out if it's a euphorb. Prick it with a pin and if it bleeds white, it is.
Posted By: maja24 Re: What is this for a something, cont. - December 24th, 2006 at 03:59 AM
Saintlorilea, I've send you a pm, i think you didn't read it yet.

Happy holidays!!!! wavey

Paulien
Posted By: saintlorilea Re: What is this for a something, cont. - January 3rd, 2007 at 08:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DowntoEarth:
[QB] It could be a "euphorbia" You can try looking up "zimmerpflanzen euphorbia leuconeura" maybe you will reconise it better than me.
Nice plant!

I just Googled Euphorbia leuconeura and it looks like we have "BINGO!!" - thanks to everyone for comments and suggestions.
- Saintlorilea
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]