A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Deborah L. Planted tomatoes today ! - February 10th, 2007 at 10:52 PM
I just planted 4 Burpee Super Beefsteak tomato seeds today.
Just grabbed a package at the drugstore.
I used 4 paper cups and sandwich bags for roofs.
Just a start but fun anyway !
Posted By: badplanter Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 11th, 2007 at 12:20 AM
thumbup
Very cool!

I'll be starting my tomatoes and peppers sometime next month...
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 11th, 2007 at 02:05 AM
These will be able to go in the ground, that's why I chose an indeterminate type this year.
I've moved and there's a yard here and good soil from the former gardener.
Usually I do only containers.
Posted By: Triss Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 11th, 2007 at 02:09 AM
Very exciting Deborah!! Hope they grow well for you!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 11th, 2007 at 02:43 AM
That is exciting! I bought tomato seeds today! thumbup

We started our first year with them in big containers, but now we have a raised bed we plant them in. thumbup
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 11th, 2007 at 02:49 AM
Thanks, Triss !
Loz, what variety did you get?
Posted By: MrClint Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 12th, 2007 at 04:27 PM
It's always exciting to start the seeds that will become your garden. smile

I started my tomatoes and peppers mid to late January -- expecting to plant outside early to mid March. The way things are going I may have some in the ground by the end of Feb. I've found if the overnight lows are running at or near 50* for a few weeks you're all set.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 12th, 2007 at 05:27 PM
Yes, it's exciting !
I definitely plan to grow my first Cherokee purples as well.
I'm planting common basil too, and am heading to Home Depot today for herbs.
Posted By: MLN Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 12th, 2007 at 07:26 PM
It does get you all excited to just get something started doesn't it! I started my tomatoes on the fourth of this month and they are looking real good. Got cabbage and lettuce out in the garden. I will put my tomatoes in the ground sometime in the first two weeks of March. Can't wait.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 12th, 2007 at 08:31 PM
Sounds good, MLN !
I can hardly wait to get sunflowers going too.
And some bell peppers- a must !
Posted By: Kristy F Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 13th, 2007 at 12:47 AM
I got my tomatoes planted in late Jan along with bell peppers jalopenos, and EGGPLANT!!!!! ya know that is one thing I have never tried to grow and last year when seed when on sale in the stores I thought I would try them. (and I must confess I have never eaten them either) This year will be interesting for me.

Anyway I realize that the only thing I like better that being outside gardening is when it is freezing outside and you put those tiny little seeds in soil and the first little green sprigs pop out. It almost brings spring early inside your home.

It also makes me feel better when life is stressing me out.

By the way, is anyone else having nasty weather, making it impossible to prep the outside garden?
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 13th, 2007 at 01:31 AM
I know what you mean, Kristy-when I'm stressed I run right out to my container garden.
I'm just now getting a new one started, I just moved and am getting into it.
Posted By: comfrey Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 13th, 2007 at 01:48 AM
That is great Deborah!!!! I know you will enjoy being able to grow a few different things, since you now have ground to plant in.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 13th, 2007 at 03:32 AM
Yep ! There's even good soil here from the former gardener !
Posted By: comfrey Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 13th, 2007 at 08:30 PM
muggs
Posted By: MLN Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 13th, 2007 at 11:15 PM
Wow! Sounds like we're all gonna have terrific gardens this year clp I sure enjoyed being able to get out and plant some stuff in mine already. And I ordered some asparagus peas today--a new one for me. They sound good--can't wait to try them.

Marleine
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 14th, 2007 at 12:20 AM
I planted a peppermint plant and some Quinalt strawberries today.
And one tomato seed is up.
We're getting there !
flw
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 14th, 2007 at 12:47 AM
Thanks for the congrats, Comfrey ! flw
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 14th, 2007 at 04:09 PM
I'm growing the sweet william tomatoes this year. I'm on a search for the perfect sweet tomato that is compact. One type at a time lol.

I've also started some banana peppers and some Egyptian Walking Onions. Those are already up and going to town. I don't know anything about them yet but I plan to find out lol.
Posted By: MelonHead Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 14th, 2007 at 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Kristy F:

By the way, is anyone else having nasty weather, making it impossible to prep the outside garden?
I live in upstate New York, Kristy. Does that answer your question? eek

We have two seasons here.. winter and the 4th of July. Which is when it looks like I'll be planting.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 17th, 2007 at 05:36 PM
My Sweet William Tomatoes have sprouted woohoo.

And I found out that my Eqyptian Walking Onion is like a shallot. Which is great because I didn't have any shallots. Now the only thing I have to find are Leeks for leek soup. Am I an onion fanatic?...I would have to say yes lol.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 17th, 2007 at 06:48 PM
Three of the tomato seeds I planted came up and look good.
TK, I LOVE potato leek soup ! And green onions. I think you call them scallions.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 19th, 2007 at 08:51 PM
Just planted three cherry tomato plants.
And the other day a color bowl with pink jasmine and purple campanula.
And a mint I've never seen and will need to research.
What I'm really waiting for is for the nursery to get in some pineapple sage, one of my favorite herbs.
The Super Beefsteak tomato seeds are up but don't have their true leaves yet.
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 22nd, 2007 at 05:49 PM
I planted my first tomato seeds on January 2. They are now in 4 inch nursery liners. When they get to be about 6-7 inches tall, they'll be transplanted into 8 inch nursery liners. I'll plant them out the end of next month and protect them with wall'o'waters and mulch with black plastic.

I have five plants:
Big Rainbow
Brandywine
Moscvich
New Girl
Oregon Spring

The idea is to have ripe tomatoes by Memorial Day. I haven't managed to do it the last couple of years, but I still got my first ripe tomatoes in June off the 3 early varieties (zone 6b)
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 22nd, 2007 at 06:49 PM
Terry, how do you like the walls of water and do they make a noticeable difference?
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 22nd, 2007 at 08:31 PM
Oh yes, they're great! I've had success in the past actually maturing tomatoes by Memorial Day. Most people around here are happy to have them by the 4th of July!

They say the wall'o'waters will protect tomato plants down to 16 degrees, but once it got down to 14 after I had planted. I lost one plant and another was frozen back to about half, but the other four were just fine!
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 22nd, 2007 at 09:07 PM
I'll bet they'd do well for a container tomato too.
And protect potted fruit trees.
Posted By: David mack Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 22nd, 2007 at 10:28 PM
I always go for the moneymaker variety,always remember to pinch out the sideshoots as they grow.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 24th, 2007 at 02:49 AM
Is Moneymaker the same as the Mortgage Lifter?
Posted By: David mack Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 24th, 2007 at 02:55 PM
hahahahah oh you wish! laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: johnCT Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 25th, 2007 at 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
Is Moneymaker the same as the Mortgage Lifter?
no Deb. Two completely different varieties.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 25th, 2007 at 03:04 AM
Thanks-I thought it was one variety-maybe called by something else in other countries.
Posted By: wilmaingeorgia Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 25th, 2007 at 07:17 PM
Hi Everyone a quick question......I started my tomatos and cabbage and eggplant amoung other things in the third week of January, the plants are doing vwey well with their 2nd and 3rd set of leaves coming on... I would like to add a mild fertilizer now to my plants when I water, can anyone suggest one???? I have never added fertilizer before while the plants were this young but have read that it is agood idea.....
Posted By: comfrey Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 25th, 2007 at 08:39 PM
Originally posted by MelonHead:
Originally posted by Kristy F:
[b]
I live in upstate New York, Kristy. Does that answer your question? eek

We have two seasons here.. winter and the 4th of July. Which is when it looks like I'll be planting. [/b]
YES...my ground is still way to muddy to do anything...It was starting to dry out just a bit and I had hope...But then it rained all night Friday and all day Saturday...So there went my hope for being able to do anything very soon outdoors.
Posted By: comfrey Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - February 25th, 2007 at 08:44 PM
Originally posted by wilmaingeorgia:
I would like to add a mild fertilizer now to my plants when I water, can anyone suggest one???? I have never added fertilizer before while the plants were this young but have read that it is agood idea.....
Miracle Grow would be fine...there is one just for tomatoes, but the all purpose one would work fine also or something along those lines...just be sure to dilute it alittle, as these are small seedlings you are fertilizing.
Posted By: chrissy fair Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - March 1st, 2007 at 02:14 AM
I'm waiting for this northern cal weather to calm down, had snow fall down below 1000ft level. Not common for sacramento. Redding is snowed in, along with Grass valley and Truckee Duh

I just want some temps that are ABOVE freezing!! Here we have ICE...not very healthy to plant in!! I have most of my seeds and I started them inside, but I so much want to get them in the ground! Alot of the ones I want to get in the ground are carrots/radishs and such like that. I envie all of you getting yours into the ground this soon or even by March. It doesn't look like I'll be getting anything into the frozen dirt andtime soon!! ters
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Planted tomatoes today ! - March 1st, 2007 at 02:27 AM
Chrissy, a friend of mine lives in Placerville, and she's mad about the temps too.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]