A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: grow'n cold need help with care and identification - February 18th, 2007 at 11:50 PM
I have several house plants that I have good luck keeping healthy and happy until resently. I have some pics on pcturetrail.com and my name there is powhoundak. Any info would be much appeciated. Thanx from AK
Posted By: Anonymous Re: need help with care and identification - February 19th, 2007 at 12:24 AM
moving to mysteries!
Posted By: Carly Re: need help with care and identification - February 22nd, 2007 at 12:18 PM
Your last one looks like periwinkle - I've never seen it growing indoors though.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: need help with care and identification - February 22nd, 2007 at 04:40 PM
could you post the pics in the thread please?

i tried to access that site and only came up with a search site.
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: need help with care and identification - February 22nd, 2007 at 10:02 PM
Photos 3 and 4 look like maybe a Dracaena of some type,
and 5 and 7 appears to be Philodendron selloum.

Has the other plant (photos 1, 2 and 6) bloomed at all?
If so, can you describe the flower?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: need help with care and identification - February 23rd, 2007 at 03:24 AM
it's picturetrail, not pcturetrail

anyhoo.

#3/4 cornplant

#6 some type of hoya

#7 a philodendron
Posted By: Carly Re: need help with care and identification - February 23rd, 2007 at 12:52 PM
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=powhoundak
Posted By: grow'n cold Re: need help with care and identification - March 1st, 2007 at 09:53 PM
Thanks for identifying my plants now I have few questions on how to take care of them.
1. The philodendron is root bound and I want repot but it need a huge pot and I live in a small apt. Can I trim the roots and reuse the same pot?
2. I have'nt had the plant in pics 1,2 and 6 long enough to see any flowers. Its new to me, a friend of mine was moving out of state and gave it to me.
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: need help with care and identification - March 3rd, 2007 at 07:33 PM
Hi grow'n,
Your pot contains several Philodendron plants,
at least 5 or 6 that I can see,
not a bad arrangement when they are small, but as they grow . . . :rolleyes:
. . . well, you can see how crowded and tangled the roots become.
These guys will tolerate fairly rough handling, so yes, I would try to repot it,
cutting away some of the roots if necessary.
Maybe when you get it out of the pot you can separate one or two of the plants and share the others with a friend or two,
that way you can keep it manageable for the space in your apt,
at least for a few years. wink
These plants can grow to be quite large.
Posted By: grow'n cold Re: need help with care and identification - March 4th, 2007 at 10:29 PM
ZUZU, thanks for your advice with the philodendron, I would appeciate some help with the hoya/periwinkle. Thanx from AK
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: need help with care and identification - March 5th, 2007 at 01:27 AM
I'm not certain of the identity of that other one,
I wouldn't rule out Hoya as a possibility,
but several other possibilities occurred to me when I saw it,
not Periwinkle though, I think.

You could go ahead and repot it if you feel it needs it.
Just use a good, general purpose houseplant medium.

When repotting any houseplant,
I usually rinse away as much of the old potting soil
as will wash away easily when gently sprayed with a garden hose.
That gives me a chance to have a look at the condition of the roots.
If there are any clearly unhealthy looking roots,
I trim them away with clean clippers.

If I put a plant back into the same pot it came out of,
I wash the pot well first, using a mild bleach/water solution.

Hope that helps. wink
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]