A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: gardenfairy Bulbs and Moles - February 20th, 2007 at 05:34 PM
I have a mole problem, but my question is it okay to plant my tulip and glad bulbs, or will the mole eat them, he has been digging where I planned on planting them.
Posted By: alankhart Re: Bulbs and Moles - February 21st, 2007 at 03:05 PM
Moles don't eat bulbs or plants, they eat grubs and worms. They can dig up the bulbs and plants, however, while tunneling looking for food. Voles on the other hand will eat bulbs. They don't create the upper tunnels that moles do...they dig under the ground and eat whatever vegetation they can find. You might want to try to get rid of the mole before you plant there. I find that the best way to do is to just wait until you see the earth moving and shove a spade or shovel into that spot and kill it. All those so called mole killers you see at Lowe's , etc. (like mole killer pellets)don't work because moles won't eat them since they aren't a grub or a worm.
Posted By: njoynit Re: Bulbs and Moles - February 21st, 2007 at 06:36 PM
I use the pods off my castor beans and soak in milkjugs of water and water the ground with them& they leave the area.you could proably use the castor oil and mix in water and get the same results.

Alan's probably right about the bulbs with the MOLES.They didn't mess with the daffs,but tunneled beside them.they would Taste the liquid on the ground where it covered.
My dog eats voles.He had one yesterday....my issue was he wanted to bring it in the HOUSE.
Posted By: alankhart Re: Bulbs and Moles - February 21st, 2007 at 10:26 PM
There are 2 stray cats that basicly live in my back yard. In the last weeks I've found 2 dead voles, one with it's head missing! The cats drive my dog crazy, but as long as they are killing the vermin, they can stay.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bulbs and Moles - February 22nd, 2007 at 02:41 AM
i told my husband that as long as we have woods, we would have cats to keep the critters at bay!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]