A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Wrennie The Great backyard Bird Count~~ FREE! - February 10th, 2007 at 01:28 PM
What mid-winter activity is fun, easy, free, and helps bird conservation? What can parents and teachers do with children that connects them to a whole new world of natural wonders? This February, the tenth annual Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC), sponsored by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and National Audubon Society, will give everyone a chance to discover the birds in their neighborhood and “Count for the Record.”

During February 16–19, 2007, people of all ages, from beginners to experts, are invited to join this event which spans all of the United States and Canada. Participants can take part wherever they are – at home, in schoolyards, at local parks or wildlife refuges. Observers simply count the highest number of each species they see during an outing or a sitting, and enter their tally on the Great Backyard Bird Count web site at www.birdsource.org/gbbc.
Posted By: Wrennie Re: The Great backyard Bird Count~~ FREE! - February 10th, 2007 at 01:31 PM
More informton here

It's fun it's free you DONT have to be an expert bird identifier, it can take as little as 15 minutes for 1 day or the whole weekend!! clp
Posted By: Thornius Re: The Great backyard Bird Count~~ FREE! - February 10th, 2007 at 02:34 PM
I entered last year and all I got was a picture I took of a BEAUTIFUL Male Ruby-Crowned Kinglet with ris Ruby "crown" raised. This is really fun folks so get out there and start counting! One......two.......three......43,719......
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Great backyard Bird Count~~ FREE! - February 10th, 2007 at 02:41 PM
We could add our window cam to the bird count fun. Hubby is working on one more camera that will be easier to access for all. I will get him to move a little quicker on it (he'll be happy to go buy something - he's a spendthrift -oops me too!)

I have a friend in Israel that is looking forward to counting chickadees and titmouses! We would need to link to a simple time schedule (I have no clue how to do anything like that...) Remember, I can't even track a thread.

I wanted to offer to any school teacher (there's a monday and friday) or senior center and don't really know how.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]