A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: angelblossom Brug starts - November 7th, 2006 at 12:45 PM
Brug Junkie!!! well I'm well on my way to being addicted Thanks Njoynit!

These are starters she sent me... unnamed Pink/ I've learned to go from water untill the white knots form and then soil.. She sent a few weeks ago and they are beginning to leave out Here they are just recieved and in water [Linked Image]
here they are after being potted up..
[Linked Image]

I recieved 6 more types ( colors) from someone else..
they are...
Charles Grimaldi
pale Yellow
cotton candy
pink beauty
snow cone
Adora

These have been in water now 3 days and the white knots are becoming noticable.. this week end I pot up
[Linked Image]

By spring I should have 9 Brugs well on their way to give me a show!!! Because this is my first time I hope you don't mind if I keep updating thru the winter into spring how they progress!!
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Brug starts - November 7th, 2006 at 01:22 PM
I only have 2 different brugs! eek

I want all those, Diane!

My kitchen is full of brug cuttings right now...
...all to be potted tomorrow when Brennan gets here to help me.

We'll have to trade some next year when yours get big! grinnnn
Posted By: cinta Re: Brug starts - November 7th, 2006 at 02:50 PM
I will enjoy seeing your progress over the winter.

I have 5 in the window that I started from seeds this Summer,

I had 3 in the garden from last year that bloomed beautiful this year. They are two unknown peach/pink and a unknown white.

I thought I would like to have some named brugs. So I traded for....
Creamsickle,
Jean Pasko
Janet Reno
Charles Grimaldi
Jamican Yellow
unknown lite yellow

I think I have a passion. LOL!!!!
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - November 8th, 2006 at 12:51 AM
I got a dresser covered.

My new crop this year.
Rosa traum(2)
Betty Marshall(2)
Logees orange
Martha stewart(2)
Jamicia yellow(4)
Tropical sunset
Peaches& cream
Creamsickle
Versicolor peach
Charles G(2)
Butterfly
milk&honey
Daydreams(2)
Monikia(2)
pink perfection(2)
Bolero X Gypsy Queen
Maya-lost 1 stem tip (2)
Sunray
Versicolor orange& a nugget.

Plus i'll do a log rooting of Knightti*****And Cindy gets a piece of knightti& cypress gardens****
Cypress gardens is short.It did have another round of buds& the rain dropped them monday.but got buds on Knightti& frosty pink/unknown pink& seedling pink all have been blooming but dropped some blooms during the rain.**smells good when ya rake over some**
I got one bud on my jamicia yellow plant.MIL cutting bloomed.It was one of my chrales cuttings.So least the pinks I moved down there aren't duplicated.My Dr suess is perking up and growing now after sulking all summer.I doubt will get blooms& no blooms from jean pasco either,but its 6 ft& no 'Y'.I have a 7 ft frosty trunk i'll winter over that has buds now. I got 1 seedling thats young still KBS XSupernova.then my 5 white suav seedlings in ground.will likely root the whole thing and plant out next year.I also think I know where new brug bed is going.Waterhose decided me.
There are cuttings in kitchen window that are not pictured here.so the space on freezer will become'un-cat-able' He's been hanging out in the suitcase anyway.i'll load those latter(I'm on a rakeing break.! 1 hour burns 150 calories)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The last shot was Knighttis last flush.the buds are curling under so its soon again
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - November 8th, 2006 at 12:58 AM
opps guess it ain't huh.Its a canna seedling.its orangey colored.I likes it.the rain has it leaned it over,but has 4 flowers now.

But THIS is!I'm going to give it a lil shade next year& see how it does next year.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - November 8th, 2006 at 08:59 AM
WOW Njoynit!!!! What a list OMG.. I would never have room for all of those,,( Don't mean I wouldn't try tho!! lala laugh )

Has any one seen the brug named Ambrosia?? It is gorgeous!! I'd like to have that one, besides that fact that is My daughter name to!!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - November 8th, 2006 at 09:01 AM
Originally posted by cinta:
I will enjoy seeing your progress over the winter.

I have 5 in the window that I started from seeds this Summer,

I had 3 in the garden from last year that bloomed beautiful this year. They are two unknown peach/pink and a unknown white.

I thought I would like to have some named brugs. So I traded for....
Creamsickle,
Jean Pasko
Janet Reno
Charles Grimaldi
Jamican Yellow
unknown lite yellow

I think I have a passion. LOL!!!!
There are soooooo many named and unnamed huh Cinta? With your list and Njoynits list There were some listed I hadn't even seen on sites WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: bruglover Re: Brug starts - November 8th, 2006 at 10:00 AM
Wow,
I have Peanut and Daydreams,Pink smitty plus about 50 others I dont have monika or Pink perfection
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Brug starts - November 8th, 2006 at 10:31 AM
Diane - I just found this thread, and am very anxious to follow your posts during the winter! I had 3 brug plants for 3 years and only had a few blooms on 1 before I let them go. I just didn't have the indoor space to overwinter them anymore, since I really wasn't getting much satisfaction from the blooms.

Can't wait to see your progress!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - November 8th, 2006 at 10:59 AM
Originally posted by bruglover:
Wow,
I have Peanut and Daydreams,Pink smitty plus about 50 others I dont have monika or Pink perfection
50!!!!!!!!!!! thumbup grinnnn You must have a lot of land and a HUGE house!!! laugh laugh

Lynne I hope this is successfull for me I absolutely love them,, Njoynit is my mentor with brugs and with Bruglover holding over 50 I'll probably bog them down with questions too lala
Posted By: cinta Re: Brug starts - November 8th, 2006 at 02:35 PM
angelblossom, I will be hanging with you and the questions. I have not had any problem getting blooms. So I decided they would be my new passion.

There are a lot but I am trying to narrow mine down to 1 variegated, 2 good yellows, 1 red, and 2 doubles. All of these will have to be good bloomers and the fragrant that I am looking for.

After I do my tests I will get rid of the ones that do not meet the bloom smell test. LOL!!

Njoynit, can I pick your rooting method knowledge. Do you prefer to root in water then soil 0r....do you root direct into soil?
Posted By: bruglover Re: Brug starts - November 9th, 2006 at 05:11 AM
Hi All
I leave mine out all year.I live in zone 9 we dont have much of a winter here at all. I have a place for them if needed. I have a small greenhouse plus others I just cover up when its cold.
Posted By: bruglover Re: Brug starts - November 9th, 2006 at 05:31 AM
Here's is a small list of what I have
Daydreams
Peanut
Pink Smitty
carolina Charm
Maya
Jamie
Harlot
Janet Reno
Miss caylie
Pink Velvet
Velvet Rose
Lamour
Double Peach
Shedded White
Delta dawn

still have many more to list
painted Lady
Rosa Traum
creamsickle
susanne
Mango crush
melon Kisses
Autumn Treasure
Genavive
Dola
Isbella
frosty Pink
Miss emily Mckenzie
Miss Lili
New Orleans Lady
Edna
HG
Dr Suess
Dr D
Charles Grimaldi
Clubera
Peaches and Cream
Pink Beauty
Kyles Pink
Kyls White
KBS

still have more will post later
have about 75 seedings that I started from seed.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - November 9th, 2006 at 09:42 AM
Originally posted by ServantsHeart2003:
Hi All!! I have cuttings in water rooting that I want to either trade for or give away for SASE--any left by Jan 1st I will THROW AWAY!!

Available:
5 Dr Suess
4 Frosty Pink
1 Jamaica Yellow
1 Suavelons Pink
1 Citronella
11 unknown (all were named when I got them as cuttings last year but before planted all tags were lost--they did not flower this year so....unknown) hehehe
3 Tahitian Wedding Bells
1 Charles Grimaldi

Am looking for:
Adoro, Bambino, Butterfly, Canary Bird, Creamsickle, Culebra, Cotton Candy, Daybreak, Enchanted Double White, Golfito, Hans Georg Preissel, Harlot, Harrenhauser Garten, Island Girl, Janet Reno, Klerx, KBS aka Monster, Maya, Madeira, Mittagsonne, Mobisu, Mon Amour de Mareuil, Peaches & Cream, Quinde, Rosa Traum, Rosamond, Snowbanks, Snow Cone, Strawberry Cream, Temple Goddess, Tequila Sunset, Tragedy, Tuffy, Twisted Sister, Whiskers, Yellow Tail

I do not get to the library very often (1 hr+ each way walking) so we could do the arranging via snail mail
------------------------
edited
-----------------------
If you want SASE--send Priority Mail Stamp, 2 of your self stick return address labels and a list of the cuttings you would like. In most cases you can get up to 3-4 for the stamp--but I can stuff what I can fit in and you could pay whatever difference when it gets to you. If you live somewhere where there is already snow, ice, freezing temps--let me know! I will try to protect your cuttings in the best way I can! I will be unable to replace every cutting that may be lost in the mail so we will try to be SURE none are lost, ok?!! Thanks! Bonnie

ALL left as of 1 Jan 2007 will be thrown away!
BONNIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HI !!!!!!!!
How Are you!!!MY goodness Longtime no see!!!!!!!!!! It was a very pleasent surpise to see you on here!!!! UI'm interseted in Dr. Suess and a couple of others Give me a couple of days to look some of those up and I'll get back to you on saturday!!!!!

Wow Girl!! I'm soo Happy your here!!!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - November 9th, 2006 at 09:58 AM
Brug lover do you have cutting available??
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Brug starts - November 9th, 2006 at 10:16 AM
I accidentally deleted Bonnie's (ServantsHeart) post. :rolleyes:

If you want any of her brug cuttings, she has a topic down in seed exchange with the same info.
I have already sent her a huge box, postage paid on it, so she can send me some starts! grinnnn
I got my Dr. Seuss from her last year.
Posted By: bruglover Re: Brug starts - November 9th, 2006 at 10:44 AM
I have some ready for trade , I am new at brugs
so not all are ready to trade. I have all the ones you listed Angelblossom .
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - November 9th, 2006 at 10:45 AM
Okay!!!! Thanks Bruglover!! I'd enjoy seeing your picture if you have any!! thumbup
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - November 10th, 2006 at 05:36 AM
I root in water till get nubbys when I get nubbys then I move to soil.they seem to leaf out in about a week after hitting soil.If I get any signs of rot I wack it off and re root.I also change my water daily.I re fill ueing warm tapwater.
Gee bruglover.I see some I'd like,but wonder what my holding capicity is on this room?(I have to take in account that when I get in deep freeze......I have to have somewhere's to SET those plants to.)But do have questions.Hows Rosa Truam do for you?she like the heat?will she take full tx sun?I think your near Alice TX.also hows daydreams do?I really likes its leaves very fuzzy.I might be intrested in New orleans lady& autuam reflections (my photo on name....its a painted brugmansia,by some person BUT the painting is of autuam reflections.)
I set up my greenhouse condtions yesterday.I think a few of my plants need to go diets.back is sore& it took me just about all day.plus spraying them all down and cleaning tops of soil(I cheated...airhose blowouts...especially with cacti)For some reason seems are more plants this year than last year in GH,plus would have more room if the christmas tree hubby bought and set up out there was gone from there.I may have venting issues this year though....No slideing door cause we closed it in,but it will be warmer.Now to find to find that lost green plant hanger....................I've been looking for 2 days now!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - November 15th, 2006 at 09:04 AM
Hey Njoynit Did cha find the green plant hanger yet?? thumbup clp
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - November 18th, 2006 at 10:39 PM
I still have not found that green plant hanger & nobody around here admits to seeing me relocate it.(they all told me where it HAD been)

My cuttings are growing Well too.I'm going to start wacking on some of my brugs in ground.That lil cold spell Friday morning got my leaves looking ratty.I just hate to cut though...hands cramp...time consumeing steralizeing.I've also seen my cold GH stays a lil warmer than last year.was a 12 degree differance.

going fishing this morning.Bass we're hitting along sandbanks Thursday.I'm hopeing them big fat ones are like starveing to feed up for winter& let me grub on some nice fat bass.I can't believe I drove further for minnows than beer!((Oh our new beer/wine store opened last week....gas is soon too! I got some cranberry& lime smirnoff coolers for the Colts/Cowboys game sunday.GO COLTS make it 10-0!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - November 19th, 2006 at 06:00 AM
laugh laugh -----> njoynit! I can't believe you drove further for minnows than beer either!!!,, Yeah It got down right cold here at night this week but the days have been pretty decent today it's near 70 so again I took all cutting outside! Yours you gave me are getting big enough for me to have to steak two of them up with sticks, and are really filling out on the tops! Thanks again.. leaves are beginning to sprout now on the newest starts for me!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Brug starts - November 19th, 2006 at 08:26 AM
Holy Koogamooga! shk

I need to move to Texas!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - November 20th, 2006 at 04:34 AM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by afgreyparrot:
<strong> Holy Koogamooga! muggs
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Brug starts - November 20th, 2006 at 05:28 AM
You should move to Texas Cindy and be a Dallas Cowboy's Cheerleader.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - November 20th, 2006 at 06:31 AM
laugh laugh laugh muggs muggs lala lala
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Brug starts - November 20th, 2006 at 07:02 AM
Diane - those look so nice and green and healthy!
Keep up the great work - can't wait to see them all flowering! thumbup
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - November 20th, 2006 at 07:26 AM
Thanks Lynne.., I can't wait either the problem is I don't know where I'm going to put them all in the ground this spring I may put a couple in container pots I haven't decided yet!
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - November 20th, 2006 at 10:57 PM
yeah cindy...move to TX...but not to a dry county.Not sure I'd want to be a cowboys cheerleader though...they look starved.our plants grow good though!

I went fishing...caught 1 bass then notheing for 4 hours...so being my a$$ was asleep,I loaded up came back and raked& raked more yesterday& now today is brug wacking day.I did cut a few durring dinner while cooking(Got jean pasco 6 ft no 'Y' rooting beside coffee maker.....hubby asked why there?)gee...it fit.

all babies still growing& this room will recieve guests today. a knighttii cut& trunk experiment/unknown pink trunk cut whole/frosty pink trunk cut blooming6 ft/Charles cutting off MIL to join my other 2 from neighbor& cypress gardens cut to root& my tallest dr suess trunk....none have 'Y'd

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is shot of flowerbed.I just started cleaning it out again.have most of my aloha rose cut back growing there accept what had buds on it(nephews iggy would not forgive me,she likes the petals)
[Linked Image]

Di they look great.I need more grow lighting for my brug nursery,I'm going to buy that $15 grow light reflector kit w bulb at walmart and one more bulb& then 2 bulbs for cold GH & may add one more.Being have so many together.....I spray the soil with insectisidal soap every week.I'd rather be safe than sorry.They we're 75% off and my other bottle is still mostly full(I buy concentrated).SIL mother of thousands is setting some buds for blooming...mines not yet,but believe hers is different than mine,so did dig a start of hers(still in butter tub from yard,but I've watered it)so you hollar when yours starts.

yeah...I wonder where will be putting my new ones?over 25 so its like I'm looking for a few BEDS to add.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - November 21st, 2006 at 08:23 AM
Njoynit explain to me one more time again about the signifigance of the "Y" Does it only bloom above Y??
BTW Getting a box ready to send to you with in a couple of weeks Just to let you know muggs muggs <---- Know what this means?? lala lala laugh laugh
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - November 21st, 2006 at 10:26 PM
Yes.I know what THAT means!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! muggs

Flowering happens ABOVE the 'Y'.

In this picture
http://countrygdn.com/infosheets/yandsub.html

It has 'Y'd and done a 'Y' again.above the additional 'Y' it will start flowering.sometimes they will set what I call'Crotch rocket'<<<That is MY name for them. 'a bloom in the crotch of the 1st'Y'.' Our 'Y's can sometimes grow very long cause they will sprout to life in mid March& most times I can get 2 ft of growth a month.sometimes the distance is short between'Y's sometimes is further apart.

My unknown pink had a trunk that was 2 ft before it 'Y'd,but the back above 'Y' stem was 7 ft long from 'Y' to tip.I know this cause SIL helped me some and was amazed at how longer it was from 'Y' to tip than the others.she decided my banana leaves shaded that branch.I just thought ws neat that it curved back to the front due to banana tree leaf.

[Linked Image]
Guests moved in
[Linked Image]
More guests too boot
[Linked Image]
kitchen brug trunks.tallest is frosty pink 7 ft 2 in with'Y'& buds/jean pasco 6 ft trunk no 'Y'/Charles G 2 trunks 1 4 ft& 1 with buds& a bloom for tonight or the next nite..Beside coffee maker.hubby already commented on them overtakeing the house
[Linked Image]

Betty Marshall.That was about a week in water the white roots are 2 days old.I cut top just at start of name and rooted that& potted it yesterday
[Linked Image]

My frost arrived last nite.its not fair.ANGEL your WARMER than me.I'm sitting here at 35 and riseing and your 47.you we're 39 when I was 27.27 was my low.and only about an hour below freezeing.

oh.MOT has started to form its buds on top now.SIL left hers in ground last nite.soon we can compare colors.I searched some for her last nite.she was right.there are 3 kinds.peach/coral/pink.Daves does show 35 photos,but not all have blooms.

So Cindy....when ya decorateing your brug christmas tree?You gonna use it as a christmas photo?And your jars rooting as of yesterday.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - November 22nd, 2006 at 08:46 AM
Njoynit!!!Wow yours are soooo tall!!! You already cut back the one(s) in ground?? Supposed to be 45 tonight and maybe high 70's tomarrow and 80 on thanksgiving! clp clp

Okay because your unnamed pink leaned out from the banana leaf shade I should plant in full sun?? That's scarey as hot as it gets in the summer! I have an open area the is very full sun all day into the evening, everywhere else is either morning sun afternoon shade OR morning shade and afternoon into evening full sun I have More larger areas of the full and afternoon Full sun.. Just thinking ahead I want to reserve areas Just for the brugs and prepare soils over the winter with extra sheep manure and compost.. my yard is not big AT ALL I'll get pic of back yard so you can see and help me decide where to plant in the spring!
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - November 22nd, 2006 at 11:17 AM
I'd go for morning sun&afternoon shade.I'm moveing some back to that location(was a brug bed...then a duck pond...then an empty bed with fountain& bare ceppt for a few EE that still pop up from pond fill)

That frosty is tall and it didn't sprout till like July.thats a ground sprout,they useually make good stright trunks.My frosty useually 'Y's at 3-4 ft.But I like this one.Will place it....who knows? Duh I got 3 beds to plan....then just picking places out for them.1 will go beside shed.

I had frost last nite&was 27 at 4 am. I'm south of you.I'm mad you didn;t get cold with me. sca I was wacking away.5 minutes after heard the word 'FREEZE' I went& cut Jean Pasco,flipped burgers then went and got charles& frosty.I was some site yesterday.I got brug juice in eye....one eye....so my vision was blurry on one side.Was rushing 2 dogs in the door every trip in with brug cuts,clippers.dipping clippers in boiling water while stripping leaves into a bucket& cutting pieces for going in them jugs.I'm so glad thats over....Now need to clean the rest of the beds up.I got bronzed cannas.the blackie sweet potato looks awful in that bed now.

I rested today.I'll slave tomorrow.I found green tomatoes in flowerbed on an ugly tomato plant.wish I'd seen that sooner when was passing out blankets to plants in the yard.

oh there are also 4 jugs on floor behind that chair.those milk jugs are full.I'm looking for my 3 gallon white bucket for the frosty cuts.I need my milk jugs for wintersowing.(like I need more plants laugh )oh and knightti has 2 buds smaller bud they still buds sometime next week if they hold,plus various.buds on unknown& seedling pink.Frosty in kitchen has like 4 buds left to go.

Sheep manure...hmm thats new.know its PH?Chicken manure has the highest nitrogen,but is different with being wet or dry& inbetween.I've used rabbit& horse.Horse actually did pretty good.Rabbit& cow work good on roses& camillias too.Horse manure does good on cannas.Carrie uses donkey manure.
Posted By: cinta Re: Brug starts - November 23rd, 2006 at 08:52 AM
njoynit, you do have a big collection. LOL!!! I had to remove the plants from the dining room and living room so I can have guest for the Holidays. Now you cannot get into my guest bedroom or the bathroom.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - November 23rd, 2006 at 12:27 PM
Njoynit the sheep manure I have is already composted I also use it in my compost pile to help get it going I admend it in all my soils( for outside) and also placed in all brug start plants with regular bedding soil ,,Nope I don't know the PH, All I know it it's sheep manure already composted and bagged up and it's hard to find here My Uncle brought me a 1/2 skid load of it last fall from KS., and I have managed to hang on to 3 bags (40lbs each) So I'm saving it for the Brugs that go in ground and datura bushes .
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - November 30th, 2006 at 11:56 AM
They'll proably like that.I still have to ammend the hex bed for 'some' of them to go in(like 5 of the 30..ha-ha)
Well the cuttings that had blooms have bloomed& the rest of the buds have turned or popped.These few Knightti cuttings have been hard to root.Trunk has been so-so,but the 'y's are not happy.I'm tempted to shove in some soil. all the other cuttings are growing nicely.I'm impressed with my 'nugget' of orange versicolor.Its grown the fastest of them all.

Angel.I got me a 4 way anylizer last year.I love it.does PH/Fertilizer/Lighting/Moisture.

The laundry room became the brugmansia room.It won't be so bad once some of them cuttings find new homes(Just E mail me!)The porch is a lil more crowded this year(that dam zone denial.........)Guess I got more hanging baskets this year too cause had to add some nails.

Hubby took me fishing saturday down Liberty county.cypress lakes.He proably won't ask me to go more.He didn't catch anything.I was actually the only one who caught anything.I caught 5.My 3rd was a good one.I swear hubby 'lost' it off hook on purpose.didn't even have time to snap the picture.I couldn't save it.I had my shoes off and was not drunk enough to stomp on it anyway ( if was 5 beers further along.......that hook would have hurt).It is pretty though.

[Linked Image]

You can see my bobber.I caught them fish just under the tree. nice sunny day.very pretty too& why lost the 1st 2 bites.I was gazeing 'elsewhere'
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - December 3rd, 2006 at 04:52 AM
You should stop with the gazing somewhere else Might have caught you a big'on!! laugh

The evening of the big freeze here I brought these starts inside it was high 70's that day and dropped to 20 that very night eek But from being outside since the last pics I took these are doing good outside!!

Njoynit the ones you gave me are really getting tall , and the ones Ruth sent me have really sprouted the ones on the floor took longer to get going then the rest but finally show signs of growing and rooting good.. I promised updates thru the cold months so here are so more taken today..

Largest from Njoynit.... I've had longer than the rest..
[Linked Image]

These next two pic are starts I recieved several weeks later than Njoynits the second one of these two pic those burgers took a while to get going,, but now they're on their way!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
clp
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Brug starts - December 4th, 2006 at 01:50 AM
WOW Diane!!!
You are going to have the most GORGEOUS garden next summer when they are all in bloom!!! They all look so very healthy! Can't wait to see the blooms!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - December 4th, 2006 at 08:56 AM
Thanks Lynne ! I'm keeping my fingers crossed on these!!! But unless I get a "Y" formed I don't think I'll have blooms this spring on a couple of them but surely I'll have blooms on a few! thumbup flw
Posted By: katrun Re: Brug starts - December 17th, 2006 at 11:16 AM
Hello there ! I am new to this fourm and new to brugs. I just signed up.

I would love to do some SASE for your brug cuttings.
Please email me so we can exchange, I might have a few plants you might like.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - December 17th, 2006 at 11:16 AM
We've had some great weather this week and all the brugs have been outside day and night. They truely love being out side the lowest it got was 43 at night and high near 80 days, Hmm we'll see how long this last but for now they are growing happily outside!! more Pictures after the New Year!! thumbup
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - December 17th, 2006 at 11:21 AM
Originally posted by katrun:
Hello there ! I am new to this fourm and new to brugs. I just signed up.

I would love to do some SASE for your brug cuttings.
Please email me so we can exchange, I might have a few plants you might like.
Hello Katrun!! And Welcome to the forum!! I have just only gotten into brugs my self and my pictures are of new cutting given to me so this is a new learning experience for me!! Stick with me and we can learn this together!!.. I pm'd you back that explains all!!
Glad to have you and would love to see pictures of your brug start!, We can learn this together!! thumbup
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - December 17th, 2006 at 11:47 PM
I've got a picture of my 'crop' of brug starts.I have them out on railing lined up a good 15 feet 0f space now occupied.I'm not here long enough right now to load& post the picture I took.I'm on my way out the door fishing(was doing a barometer check,while returning for my worms& another hook)Our weathers been great too.We we're actually the same temp when I got back from fishing last nite we we're both 71.I think we have 5 more days of this great weather.It sure don't feel like Christmas.Been sleeping with the AC on at nite.This keeps up I can eat Christmas dinner outdoors like Thanksgiveing.

Katrum
I have cuttings I'll do for postage.$9 should cover,but I can double check with your addys zip code if you PM me.They already have roots,just rehydrate a day or two and pot up.

Angel
I like the Sangarita.I'll also never trade a bud light for a Corona.Mexican beer sucks.I had to drop a shot of tequilia to get the crap down.Matt got an earfull too.I caught no fish& blamed it on that mexican crap I was drinking.
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - December 18th, 2006 at 11:30 PM
Here are my babys out for the week it seems.least they won't be collecting lint from the laundry room!

[Linked Image]

I may have lost peaches& cream.it suddenly lost its leaves.& one cut of supernova did the same.
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - December 28th, 2006 at 02:16 PM
Still growing good........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I can't wait till spring.
Creamsickle has a 'Y'.so it will be a short plant this year....with a huge 'Y'

This is what IT will look like in bloom.
http://images.google.com/images?q=Creamsickle%20brugmansia&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&sa=N&tab=wi

I know....Amazing!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - December 29th, 2006 at 08:50 AM
Oh WOW Njoynit it!! That is a beauty!!!!

Somekind of green worm has been having a feast on my leaves!!! I found two of them on two different plants!!!! HELP what can I do I didn't see any more but doesn't mean there's not some larve there developing!! eek eek I do have new leaves starting on all the starts in differents areas of the stocks but a lot of the larger once healthy leaves have been chewed to nothing!!! I'm just sick about it!!!! eek ters
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - December 29th, 2006 at 01:17 PM
When they we're outside they have had a monarch butterfly lay some eggs& her babies hatched and are hungry.I'm an organic person.I'd spray with some neem oil.or can pick them off.Only problem I've had is gnats& I sprayed some raid flying insect spray so I should at least see less of them to tomorrow. I potted up seedling plant #2&#3 1 charles G,1 dr suess& Knightti.Cypress gardens is still in small pot cause forgot was doing him& ran out of soil again.(I could CHOKE walmart for only carrying those small bags of soil.SOME of us garden YEAR-ROUND!with the big bags)

Yes they are growing nicely.I also switched plants sides.the ones that we're on freezer went to dresser and dresser ones went to freezer,which actually gets more light.I leave the grow light on all nite & move it back& forth daily.
Can't wait for spring though.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - December 30th, 2006 at 04:44 AM
Thanks for the Info I keep looking daily for more green worms I don't have any grow lights so natural light is working for now! thumbup
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Brug starts - January 9th, 2007 at 05:57 AM
Wow! I just found this topic! I have to find myself some of the brugs! I googled them and they are beautiful!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - January 13th, 2007 at 08:58 PM
Jessica they can become addicting!! laugh laugh I can't wait untill I can put outside for the season,, thumbup
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Brug starts - January 15th, 2007 at 10:51 PM
I'm sure they do angel! thumbup I will definitely have to get some!
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Brug starts - January 16th, 2007 at 12:03 AM
Plantqueen, I've got 2 started. I've watched people post on here about starting new ones from roots. When mine get established and I can figure out how to do it, I'll send you a starter. I'll have to post a picture of mine and see what kind I've got when they bloom.
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Brug starts - January 16th, 2007 at 12:12 AM
That would be great bestofour! Thank you so much! You just let me know when they are far enough along to send me a starter! I can send a SASE! Thank you again!

Jessica
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Brug starts - January 21st, 2007 at 05:30 PM
please pm me a reminder. I try to keep a list of what I'm supposed to send but then I forget where I put the list. Duh
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - January 21st, 2007 at 06:10 PM
Oh Mannn I'm having major problems with my starts! eek eek eek they were once looking great as long as I could get them out side on nice days .., but since they have been in the house for a few weeks they are dropping leaves like crazy. Some are totally leaveless while others have new growth along the stem but the leaves on those are dropping too!!! I wonder once it gets nice out and and I can place them outside if they will revive themselfs
again! eek eek

This is before.. [Linked Image]

this is today Saddddddd! Any suggestions??
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts - January 22nd, 2007 at 06:16 AM
eek i dont have any brugs!
grinnnn so i found a site to order seeds! theseedmsn
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - January 22nd, 2007 at 02:01 PM
Yes they'll re vive them selves come spring& with less leaves will use less water.

And I just HAVE to take tis moment........

GO COLTS GO COLTS GO COLTS GO COLTS GO COLTS GOCOLTS

Sibyl.....I still have cuttings.........PM me your info.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts - January 22nd, 2007 at 08:11 PM
grinnnn clp i pm you njoynit!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Brug starts - January 22nd, 2007 at 08:13 PM
Yay! Sibyl is getting brug starts! Lucky you sibyl!!! thumbup
Posted By: kennyso Re: Brug starts - January 22nd, 2007 at 09:32 PM
My last and only cutting died! Turn all mushy and blackstarting from the bottom, guess I gave it too much water...oh well, maybe next time
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - January 23rd, 2007 at 07:45 PM
Kenny wish I could send to Canada.

Now if I could just get rid of 2 more batches.............I would have 3x2 space become avilable.......

Yes mine are growing ,some of the leaves color is fadeing so I might start fertilizeing or give them a shot of beer fertilizer.
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Brug starts - January 23rd, 2007 at 07:46 PM
I would take some! grinnnn
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - January 24th, 2007 at 12:24 AM
Njoynit I was told to use 20-20-20 fertilizer on them I don't have any... Now Beer I do have grinnnn clp
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts - January 24th, 2007 at 07:54 PM
Originally posted by angelblossom:

laugh muggs njoynits gonna have us all addicted!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - January 24th, 2007 at 09:28 PM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by sibyl:
<strong> Originally posted by angelblossom:

laugh thumbup laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Brug starts - January 24th, 2007 at 11:06 PM
I NEED a brug bad! wavey They are beautiful plants!

Hope yours pull through for you Diane! kissies
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - January 24th, 2007 at 11:50 PM
Thanks Loz grinnnn I'm hoping the same!! If all goes well * keeping fingers crossed * I hope to have some to share later!!
Posted By: MS Amy Re: Brug starts - January 25th, 2007 at 07:05 AM
What is a brug?

MS Amy luv
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts - January 25th, 2007 at 05:05 PM
brugs thumbup

ive been keepin notes on how to take care of em wink
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - January 26th, 2007 at 12:37 AM
Sybil And Ms Amy Here is another look see thumbup flw

http://www.fbmg.com/gallery1/angeltrumpets/angeltrumpets1.htm
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Brug starts - January 26th, 2007 at 12:52 AM
I am planning on purchasing a yellow colored angel trumpet to put in my mother's memorial garden this Spring. Her garden will be "helen" themed plants with angels. Since her favorite color was yellow, I think a yellow angel trumpet will be fitting, too...

Those are some beautiful flowers!

Dianna
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - January 29th, 2007 at 03:31 PM
Sunray is a good yellow.

Loz........you can pay shipping and clear me some more space out.I need to clean the jugs and freshen them today.I'll tell you postage later.
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Brug starts - January 29th, 2007 at 04:00 PM
Njoynit, if you have any left I would pay postage for some also!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Brug starts - January 29th, 2007 at 06:40 PM
Originally posted by njoynit:
Sunray is a good yellow.

Loz........you can pay shipping and clear me some more space out.I need to clean the jugs and freshen them today.I'll tell you postage later.
Awesome kissies Do you think they'd ship okay---it's so frigidly cold right now? Was just wondering if they'd make it right now.

I want one so bad I can't stand it!
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - January 30th, 2007 at 02:04 PM
Plantqueen.PM me your address so I can look you up for postage.you'll both have 3 kinds.Dr Suess/unknown pink& frosty pink.Dr Suess are skinny& are also trunks cause they didn't bloom last year.

Amy.Brugs would be happy in your yard& they smell great at night.I'm sorry the new Vista hasn't found a 'scent' chip availeable in our computers.We can always SUE Bill Gates for that screw up......... laugh perpl
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts - February 3rd, 2007 at 06:18 AM
thumbup thanks!!!
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts - February 7th, 2007 at 02:16 AM
clp njotnit got my postage!!!!!

loz and jessica are ya getting some????
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Brug starts - February 7th, 2007 at 04:39 PM
Yes I am sibyl! I am sending my postage out today! clp clp Thanks again njoynit!!!!!

Jessica
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts - February 7th, 2007 at 04:59 PM
clp clp were all getting njoynit brugs!!!!!!!
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - February 9th, 2007 at 09:05 PM
I noticed a few of the cuttings....are getting buds...........I only looked at one jug.I moved my brug cuttings outdoors for 2 days& now moved them back in(thats a 22 minute trip of relocateing those cuttings back) I see a few of them that had 'y'd have buds forming.
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - February 9th, 2007 at 09:26 PM
Well shoot....my post posted while I was typing.

I got seedlings sprouting up too.I've sowed about 9 batches.Pretty soon I'm gonna need alot more space.

So angel....how's your baby's doing?
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - February 9th, 2007 at 11:14 PM
Hi Njoynit! wavey grinnnn

They are about the same they just look sad , they need some sunshine for sure I'm sick of this weather! eek eek I'm pretty confident they wiil perk up once I get them outside!

Because we have simular weather, do you recommend full sun or part sun/shade AND do you recommend they revive in the pots they are in by setting outside for a few weeks BEFORE going in ground ( once the weather warms and hold steady)?
AND when I do put them in the ground should I fertilize with 20-20-20 when I plant in??
grinnnn
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts - February 10th, 2007 at 05:20 PM
yep! lots of questions!! my climates colder so should i put mine in full sun??????
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - February 13th, 2007 at 06:22 PM
Sibyl yours will do good in full sun.Its not as warm as mine.I'll have some of mine in pots so can line my sidewalk(so can move the plants when us rednecks drive in the yard....)

Angel.some do better than others in full sun in TX& do better with lower leaves stripped up to the 'Y'.I fertilize& root start mine in ground day of planting& strip all leaves so adjusts better.sometimes I might have to shade one a week or so with a chair when 1st set out or can set pot in location and move back& forth till adjusted light wise.also watch when Carrie sets hers out.She's closest to your weather.You can mulch your roots end of May.soil will be warmed then& they'll wilt a lil less.

Here's my recent shots

Maya X versicolor peach seedlings.all duds all albino's
[Linked Image]
Daydreams cutting has 'Y'd and has 3 buds forming
[Linked Image]
Monika has 'Y'd and has buds forming
[Linked Image]
Seedling box mostly(6) U conn treasure X Mountain Magic & Versicolor Peach X mountain magic(4) and 1 KBS X supernova& 2 kumquat seedlings
[Linked Image]
Curled leafs on Uconn trasre X MM seedling
[Linked Image]
Laundry room today..........
[Linked Image]
Brugvilla Jan 25th
[Linked Image]
A cubby hole.beside deep freezer...growing happily
[Linked Image]

And I have more seeds from seed bank to grow...on their way to me now!
KBS X Rothkirch
Whiskers X Vixen
Vixen X silverdawn
AND
Versicolor Peach X Isabella

I was for ready for spring Dec 26...LOL

I've started amending the brug island around pond.............I'm thinking of the doggie-proffing thats needed for about 2 months.......................Besides the BB gun.
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Brug starts - February 13th, 2007 at 06:35 PM
Did you get my postage yet njoynit?
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts - February 13th, 2007 at 07:10 PM
laugh njoynit, my hubby and son ride their dirt bikes through the yard! as long as they stay out my flowers their live laugh i got a good sunny spot picked out for the brugs thumbup
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - February 13th, 2007 at 11:56 PM
Thanks njoynit!! I will get hold of Carrie so she will notify me when she sets out!! Some of them will go in ground and others will go in large pots so I too can move around My back yard is mostly sunny except for one side that gets morning sun and afternoon shade,..

Oh Oh thanks for the info' on stipping the leaves to the Y when going in ground!!

Sybil you are tooo funny!!! laugh laugh
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - February 14th, 2007 at 02:30 PM
I have an overgrown child...He sometimes RIDES the 3 wheeler in the yard.I bet He THOUGHT He was gonna die when riding 3 wheeler up ramp and on top of a Brugmansia pot last year.....I was running across the yard with a shovel....ready to swing....tossed my beer at him instead.

I've ALSO used the red 3 wheeler as a plant stand before....It WAS parked on the deck.It was just perfect.

They'd probably like the morning sun afternoon shade.Pots will dry out faster.I'll learn just how fast this season. teech

Plantqueen.I'm still watching.I only got 1 single piece of mail yesterday.....so maybe a boxful today.

[Linked Image]

87 condoms are used every 3.7 seconds
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - February 14th, 2007 at 04:15 PM
the trip to the bar.......................

[Linked Image]
1 week ago.I up potted a few also.
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Brug starts - February 14th, 2007 at 04:35 PM
They look great! thumbup
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - February 16th, 2007 at 02:13 PM
They would look SOOOOO much better in ground......I've learned a 12 X 14 laundry room is not big enough in the winter.It was 25 here this morning(No big deal to me really....I lived Indpls 11 years.BUT I'm thawed now.so I feel it.)It's 31 on the cold GH temp and laundry room was 54,but I'm back to slaveing with the laundry...so.

I bought a Satsuma Seto yesterday for hubbys Valentine's Day gift((See what ya get when ya get me a grandfatherclock.......))I wish I had another $30 to get the milo also.The other was a mr graham.
here's info I found
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/patiocitrus/varieties.html
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts - February 26th, 2007 at 07:46 PM
njoynit i love grandfather clocks! there so pretty!
laugh you need an indoor green house for all your brugs! a gid huge one! wink
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - February 26th, 2007 at 11:18 PM
Okay I've had my Brug starts setting outside for going on two weeks now!! and they have perked up!! and New growth on the stems!! I'll get a picture later when the growth is better seen Hopefully by that time I can get them in ground!! this weather has been great for hardening them off!!! thumbup clp
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts - February 27th, 2007 at 03:51 AM
yeaaa diane! glad they perked up for ya! lookin forward to your pics thumbup
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - February 28th, 2007 at 08:55 PM
Mine are enjoying it outdoors too.Those are also all OUTDOOR grown leafs as I plucked them on a windy day.They even did fine the night we we're 38.looks like they can go another week.
[Linked Image]

The rest are on the railing...I've not unloaded those yet.I been fishing alot lately.Caught 3 yesterday then 18 crappie last night.I'm tired.I only got online to keep myself awake till time to go to the bus stop.......which I almost sleept through this morning.I moved VERY fast this morning,in a short amount of time.
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Brug starts - February 28th, 2007 at 09:10 PM
I'm so excited to get my brug starts! thumbup
Posted By: sibyl Re: Brug starts - March 1st, 2007 at 07:21 AM
wow njoynit those look great! that one is realy tall!
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - March 1st, 2007 at 09:20 PM
The tall one is 6 ft 4 inches seedling Butterfly X Whiskers.I like it.It smells good and the flowers get a waxy look to them.Blooms good too.And it has 2 small buds forming (and the white thing in its pot....its a blown light bulb...its helping keep the trunk erict.Its nice out today.Its 74,but too breezy for fishing............BUT I bought a pair of new slip bobbers,some crappie jigs& more swivels(swivels are bait changers ya hook N unhook...beats tieing all the time& helps me keep from tangling my line as much.)and some larger claw hooks that are stronger.I'm still mad about about that large crappie.He was big enough to bend my hook stright.
Posted By: Carolin Re: Brug starts - March 2nd, 2007 at 08:40 PM
Hi
I just ordered some brugs from Mich. bulb co. I had never heard of them before and they are so different. I cant wait to get them and try to see what I can get them to do. I live in zone 6. I am glad you all are here so I can ask ?s
Carolin
Posted By: njoynit Re: Brug starts - March 3rd, 2007 at 04:02 PM
The ones in the collection are angel trumpets& the purple people eater is a duantra
http://michiganbulb.com/search.asp?ss=brugmansia&x=14&y=7

so are you going to grow in pots or in ground?you'll have to bring yours in for the winter....or could cut the trunk and re root the whole trunk and winterize that way.you'll love them.They are fragrant at night time& you can sit outdoors sipping a beer watching them change and you may get hwak moths
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Brug starts - March 3rd, 2007 at 04:50 PM
I'm starting a New Brug starts ~ 2nd addition

************Closing***********************
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]