A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: rozy221 palm-leaf begonia ~ begonia luxurians - February 28th, 2006 at 12:50 PM
I picked up this plant at the CT Flower show this weekend: [Linked Image]
The guy that sold it to me claimed it was a begonia, but I can't find any info on one that looks like this. The leaves are serated and red on the undersides. Does this look familiar to anybody?
Posted By: comfrey Re: palm-leaf begonia ~ begonia luxurians - February 28th, 2006 at 01:37 PM
Doesn't look like any begonia I have seen, But is a nice looking plant.
Posted By: Gardencrazy Re: palm-leaf begonia ~ begonia luxurians - February 28th, 2006 at 04:03 PM
Great plant! wink
It's a palm leaf begonia (Begonia luxurians).

Palm leaf begonia
Posted By: weezie13 Re: palm-leaf begonia ~ begonia luxurians - February 28th, 2006 at 11:29 PM
Alright Donna!!!! thumbup

That is a veryyyyyyyyy cool lookin' plant! thumbup cool
Posted By: ShirlS Re: palm-leaf begonia ~ begonia luxurians - March 1st, 2006 at 12:00 AM
What a neat looking plant!!
Posted By: rozy221 Re: palm-leaf begonia ~ begonia luxurians - March 1st, 2006 at 01:34 AM
Yep-that's it! COOL! I love going to these shows and scouting out unusual plants-usually they all have pretty much the same thing. I was poking around the back of some racks when I found this one for $5-and it says it can grow TALL!! (I'm sure inside, this would be limited, but I'll most likely put her outside during the warm months). Thanks for the help!!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: palm-leaf begonia ~ begonia luxurians - March 1st, 2006 at 01:44 AM
Will you send us pictures of it when it gets,
TALL, Rozy??????????? thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup
Posted By: rozy221 Re: palm-leaf begonia ~ begonia luxurians - March 2nd, 2006 at 12:17 AM
You bet Weezie! I love taking pics of my plants-I took a bunch the other day, and as I was DL'ing I noticed that my first pics were taken about a year ago-it's amazing to see the difference on some of them! Hopefully, this little girl will be one of those that grow well. I figured out last year (a little too late, unfortunately) that the best thing that I can do for my houseplants is to stick them outside for the summer, in less light than they require inside (if they require south light inside, I'd put them on the west outside). This is really exciting for me this year because we just planted the front of the house, north last fall so everything's still pretty small and the houseplants will be a great filler. But anyway, I'll keep you posted on the (hopeful) success of my great find! Thanks again!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]