A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: alankhart Dahlias. Lilies, etc. - January 29th, 2007 at 11:06 PM
Just came back from Lowe's and Home Depot. They both have their initial supply of bareroot perennials, dahlias, lilies, caladiums, cannas, etc. for spring. Seems a little early, but I went ahead and got a few....makes me feel like spring is coming sooner than it really is I guess. I'm a little disappointed, though...they don't have any new varieties, only the same ones they had last year. Wal-Mart actually gets in a better selection, but they don't have theirs yet...but I'll keep checking! Spring can't get here soon enough for me...we've got 2 nights this week with temps at 16 degrees...Brrr! That's really cold for us.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Dahlias. Lilies, etc. - January 29th, 2007 at 11:13 PM
Alan Seems this winter has been cold all over!! I didn't bing up mu dahlia from last year I just cut back and muched over really well I'm praying they come back!! Your soo right about Home depot same o same o I haven't been to lowe's this year I guess from what your saying don't wated my time If I already have what they have. Our walmart hasn't even started putting anything out including soils and landscaping anything!!! This time last year they had bins and bins of bulbs and such I guess this winter cold here held them back some,, I'm looking forward to going there that's where I got the Dahlia from last year and I haven't found that same dahlia anywhere!

Amen to that.., Spring needs to come onnnnnnnnn!!!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Dahlias. Lilies, etc. - February 1st, 2007 at 06:38 PM
Alan,
Have you ever started Dahlia's from seed??

I did 2 years ago, *and I am still new to seed
starting and thought they'd be hard, or take a long time* but they were quite easy to do,
and a nice plant/flower and they have over wintered in my basement quite nicely last winter
and am looking forward to this summer and bigger pots/containers with them and see how big they get this year.... flw flw flw flw flw
Posted By: alankhart Re: Dahlias. Lilies, etc. - February 1st, 2007 at 09:55 PM
I did start some dahlias from seed about 3 years ago....the kind that will bloom the first year. They were labeled as annual dahlias so I removed them after they flowered, but if I remember correctly, I left a few pieces in the ground by accident and they started up again the next year(I didn't let them grow to see if they would bloom, though).
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Dahlias. Lilies, etc. - February 1st, 2007 at 10:36 PM
shk shk shk
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Dahlias. Lilies, etc. - February 1st, 2007 at 10:38 PM
I had mine in pots/containers,
and just let the cold/frosts' kill the
top foliage and then put the pots' in the
basement.. and over winter inside there...
And pull them out and put back out side come spring..
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Dahlias. Lilies, etc. - February 2nd, 2007 at 03:19 PM
I have dahlia seeds when the time comes.
Posted By: Ironside Re: Dahlias. Lilies, etc. - February 3rd, 2007 at 03:35 AM
I have been growing dahlias from seed for a long time now. They are easy to grow, just require bottom heat and an even temperature. They require a 10 hour day of light.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]