A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: sweetsolo is it normal... - March 6th, 2007 at 09:27 PM
About two weeks ago I planted sugar snap peas in some peat pellets. The stalks are about 2-3 inches tall, although at the base of the stalk where you can still kind of see part of the seedling, it looks like there is mold. It's fuzzy, white and green stuff. Is this normal? Can it spread to my other vegetables? sca
Posted By: Danno Re: is it normal... - March 6th, 2007 at 11:04 PM
few questions. . . first. can u get a screenpic of this?

what kind of ventilation do you have? are you leaving them under light?

In my opinion, if you have proper ventilation, and using light over your plants (not shading them or having longer hours in no light. . ) then i would imagine there'd be no mold. It DOES sound like some sort of fungus, not sure if u can treat seedlings with some sort of fungi spray. . . leave that info to someone like weaze or the other smarties smile
Posted By: markr Re: is it normal... - March 6th, 2007 at 11:20 PM
Think you will find its the original pea seed that has mold, if so its not a problem.
Posted By: sweetsolo Re: is it normal... - March 6th, 2007 at 11:34 PM
I'll try to get a pic of this. we're actually growing them at my work. (which if I had to grow here, i'd probably be moldy too laugh ) They aren't in direct sunlight but they are near a window. It looks like the mold started around the seedling, but is spreading around its own peat pellet.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: is it normal... - March 7th, 2007 at 02:58 AM
Does it look moldy or hairy like?
Posted By: sweetsolo Re: is it normal... - March 7th, 2007 at 05:16 AM
Moldy. Mostly white with some green patches.
Posted By: MLN Re: is it normal... - March 7th, 2007 at 11:51 AM
I've never tried it on seedlings before but a diluted mix of chlorox in water will kill the mold in most cases. You might try just treating one to see what happens. Try to just spray the soil area and stay off the plant. Anyone else out there ever tried this on seedlings? I've used it on houseplants with good results.
Posted By: johnCT Re: is it normal... - March 7th, 2007 at 12:54 PM
It could be mold. Should not be a problem, but this usually happens due to too much moisture. Once seed germinates, there is no reason to keep the soil continually moist. Cut back on watering. Let the soil surface at least dry out before watering.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: is it normal... - March 7th, 2007 at 01:02 PM
Maybe try a little bit of H2o2 (Hydrogen Peroxide)
If there's some mold, that stuff will take care
of that...*use the household 3% kind*

(maybe make up a spray bottle, and use 1 oz. in a liter (quart) of water.)
Posted By: sweetsolo Re: is it normal... - March 7th, 2007 at 06:52 PM
I thought the cause might be too much water but its only on the peat pods with the sweet pea seedlings. Duh The cucumber pods which are in the same tray, next to the peas are mold free. I'll try these suggestions and let you know how it goes. thumbup Thanks!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: is it normal... - March 7th, 2007 at 06:52 PM
Got any pictures Duh ???
Posted By: sweetsolo Re: is it normal... - March 7th, 2007 at 07:07 PM
I should be able to post some on Friday. thumbup
Posted By: weezie13 Re: is it normal... - March 7th, 2007 at 07:27 PM
thumbup clp
Posted By: sweetsolo Re: is it normal... - March 10th, 2007 at 07:59 AM
Here are some pictures. I tried to get them as clear as possible. Let me know what ya'll think. idea
Thanks!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweetsolo/
Posted By: weezie13 Re: is it normal... - March 10th, 2007 at 01:30 PM
Okay, to me it sorta looks like it's *and I'm not exactly sure of what to call it* but a fungus like that is in mulchpile like material..
*or wood like mulch*
I get mulch and this pile of something grows up on mine..

Anyone else with what it might be....

Does it appear to be doing anything to the seedlings' stems?
In the pictures the seedlings' don't look like they are effected by it or bothered by it..

If that is, it might be that same kind of fungus that I was talking about above, and I didn't think that stuff was harmful, just unsightly...

Anyone else with what it might be??

My suggestion might be to take a mini~shovel *or stick or popcycle stick or tongue depresser* and pull out the stuff... it looks like you could scrape it off and it would be fine..

And maybe cut back on the water a bit...
Posted By: sweetsolo Re: is it normal... - March 12th, 2007 at 08:52 PM
It doesn't appear to be causing any damage. I've removed it from the soil, I'll see if it grows back. I think it strange though how it's only on the sweet peas. Duh
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]