A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Philip My apple tree appears to be burned. - March 18th, 2007 at 05:34 PM
I have a small orchard in SW Virginia. One of my Red Delicious trees developed a black scale last summer and I thought it had died. Several weeks ago (March), I broke off a branch to examine the tree and found it green and alive inside. I sprayed 4-5 times during the summer with fruit tree spray. Is this a fungus? How do I fix this problem. Thank you.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: My apple tree appears to be burned. - March 18th, 2007 at 05:53 PM
It sounds like Fire Blight
Posted By: Philip Re: My apple tree appears to be burned. - March 18th, 2007 at 11:45 PM
Thanks for the info. The picture of the fire blight looks like my tree. I think the whole tree is affected. There really is no way to prune away the bad stuff. Is there any chance it will resolve on it's own or will I need to remove the tree. Should I prune a branch and send it in for "testing" to an extension agency or just remove the tree and replant next year.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: My apple tree appears to be burned. - March 18th, 2007 at 11:59 PM
I am not sure you can save it. A friend of mine had to cut a lot of branches on his tree before he stopped it. Just remember when you cut the branches to dip the cutters in bleach water between cuts.
Posted By: papito Re: My apple tree appears to be burned. - March 19th, 2007 at 02:52 AM
Fire blight is more common on pears [bartlett] than apple. Since you have it in your apple tree, cut the diseased branches back about 12 inches into healthy wood; remove all affected tissue. As Pat said you need to sterilize pruning tools in household disinfectants before making each cut. Throw the diseased branches in the trash, not in a compost pile.
Posted By: DeepCreekLake Re: My apple tree appears to be burned. - March 22nd, 2007 at 10:26 AM
Make sure you disinfect your pruning tools, before you prune your other trees, or you can very easily spread Fireblight to them! Theres probably not a whole lot you can do if the whole tree is hit with fireblight. If law allows, burn your cuttings, or the tree if you plan on pulling it out.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]