A Gardeners Forum
Hi everyone! My neighbor gave me a plant today that she had planted in with another. She started it from a cutting originally. Does anyone have any idea what it's called so I can know how to care for it?

Also, we had to rip the roots on it pretty badly since it was planted in with another plant, will that hurt it a lot? Some of the roots were ripped pretty short unfortunately. frown

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/BananaTwirl/unknownnew.jpg?t=1164501603[/img]
Sorry, I don't know what that is.....but I love how interesting those leaves are!
Hi gardenkitten, wavey

You have a young Philodendron bipinnatifidum - also known as - Philodendron selloum,
young enough that it is not yet exhibiting the deeply cut foliage typical of a mature specimen.

This photo shows a young plant, much like yours.

They go by many common names, including "Tree Philodendron", "Cut-Leaf Philodendron" and "Saddle Leaf Philodendron".

This site (Floridata) has lots of info, including pictures of mature plants.
Enjoy your new plant. grinnnn

**edit to add:
I don't think you'll have any problem getting it to grow lots of new roots. wink
Thank you so much for all of the information, Zuzu! I really appreciate it! I'm especially happy to know that the roots will have no problems growing back!
it looks like the dwarf variety xanadu
Wow, Zuzu, glad you posted-I thought that was an elephant ear. The ones that get so big and grow outside.
I like the trunks of the mature ones....they look awesome!
Thanks for the links ZuZu!! I have one and was wondering how large it would get and also how to propagate.... As usual- you rock! thumbup
selloum
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]