A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Pinkhorseofcourse Hydrangeas, maybe?? - January 14th, 2007 at 05:27 PM
What would be a pretty shrub to line the north west side of my house? I was thinking maybe Hydrangeas, but I have no idea.. I have never had Hydrangeas, I just think they are beautiful.. :flower:
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hydrangeas, maybe?? - January 14th, 2007 at 11:02 PM
hydrangeas are beautiful, but they are not evergreen, and do better for looks if they are staggered with something else, or are the foundation planting in a bed.

if you really want hydrangeas, i would stagger them with some kind of naturally roundish evergreen shrub. every other or every 3rd plant being the hydrangea.

another thought is the you will need to research the best variety for your area.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hydrangeas, maybe?? - January 14th, 2007 at 11:35 PM
hydrangeas are absolutely beautiful and they're one of my fav bushes. they require a shady spot tho, to do their best (and they need lots of watering).

you could do one or two mixed in with other things if the area is a bit shady...

beautyberry bush is nice and has decent foilage and berries continously throughout the seasons.

you could also throw in an autumn clematis...
Posted By: Pinkhorseofcourse Re: Hydrangeas, maybe?? - January 16th, 2007 at 12:00 PM
If I didn't use all Hydrangeas, what could I stagger them with? Or what would you guys suggest instead of Hydrangeas?? As I said, it is the north west side, so it will only have late after noon/evening sun... Any suggestions are great! Thanks!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hydrangeas, maybe?? - January 16th, 2007 at 05:27 PM
oh, i didn't realize it was a fairly shady area...then, by ALL means, go for a whole row of hydrangea!!!!

you might want to put in that beautybush too...it would make a nice contrast with the hydrangea...say 2 hydrangea, 1 beautyberry, 2 hydrangea, 1 beautyberry, 2 hydrangea...

i wish i had more shade...i just love the hydrangea!!
Posted By: Pinkhorseofcourse Re: Hydrangeas, maybe?? - January 16th, 2007 at 06:35 PM
Yay! flw
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hydrangeas, maybe?? - January 17th, 2007 at 03:05 AM
usda info for beautyberry and some more info and some more

hydrangea.com

hydrangeahydrangea.com
Posted By: Pinkhorseofcourse Re: Hydrangeas, maybe?? - January 18th, 2007 at 02:34 AM
Wow! Thanks Joclyn, lots of great info! kissies
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hydrangeas, maybe?? - January 18th, 2007 at 12:55 PM
you're welcome!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]