A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Deborah L. To Comfrey... - January 21st, 2007 at 05:11 PM
Comfrey, this spring can you send me a piece of comfrey with some root attached?
I'd PM you my address and pay postage of course.
I remember when you offered last year but I thought I could get it from a guy who worked at the health store. Never did though.
I think you're my only hope since the FDA has made the sale of comfrey illegal. At least it is here. ARGH !
Posted By: comfrey Re: To Comfrey... - January 22nd, 2007 at 03:09 AM
Ok Deborah...Pm me your address and in the spring when it starts coming back up I'll send you some, you might also want to remind me I sometimes seem to be forgetful, the postage isn't very much, so don't worry about that.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: To Comfrey... - January 22nd, 2007 at 04:24 AM
Thanks ! If you don't want postage, PM me your address so I can tuck a little surprise in a thank you card.
I'll PM my address in the spring. wavey flw
Posted By: comfrey Re: To Comfrey... - January 27th, 2007 at 03:55 AM
I will send you some roots..But check this out: Comfrey Roots
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: To Comfrey... - January 27th, 2007 at 04:45 AM
OK !
I'll order from them and thanks so much !
Glad to see this catalog-I hadn't heard of this one.
Posted By: comfrey Re: To Comfrey... - January 28th, 2007 at 04:33 AM
Well its up to you, but I ran across that site and thought you might be interested in looking at it. I don't mind to send you some in the spring.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: To Comfrey... - February 4th, 2007 at 08:43 PM
Thanks, Comfrey-I might !
Posted By: herbalyn Re: To Comfrey... - February 8th, 2007 at 02:52 AM
To: Deborah L.

Was curious if you might share why the sale of fresh comfrey is illegal in Califorina? I use the leaves to lay over bruises and sprains, mix it with water for an organic fertilizer, lay it on garden soil so it leaches nutrients and add it to compost piles. I can't imagine not having my comfrey patch or not being able to start a new one.

I read that comfrey beds will live 20-25 years and are hard to eradicate where planted so sounds like if you are able to locate a source it will be around for a while.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: To Comfrey... - February 8th, 2007 at 03:39 AM
I'm not really positive that the sale of comfrey is actually illegal-but I do know that all local retailers refuse to stock it.
I should have checked my facts before I posted. shocked
There are nurseries online based in California who do sell comfrey.
The FDA's warnings have influenced the buyers.
Comfrey can be toxic.
(But, cigarettes are legal?????)
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]