A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: angelblossom red hot poker? or something else?? - September 19th, 2006 at 07:56 AM
I planted this in the late spring The package said Red hot poker But what is at the top ?? is it because it won't actually show the poker bloom untill next year OR IS it something else all together Duh
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: red hot poker? or something else?? - September 19th, 2006 at 08:19 AM
Looks like a sedge to me. They grow that 'star-burst' of leaves with the seeds in the middle. Here are some pics with no information, but the last one looks like your species, maybe.

taxonomy/plants/spermatophyta
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: red hot poker? or something else?? - September 19th, 2006 at 09:14 AM
I don't know what it is, Diane, but it's NOT red hot poker. I have grown that a few times, and it didn't look anything like that - sorry.
Posted By: Malica Re: red hot poker? or something else?? - September 19th, 2006 at 12:40 PM
I'm sorry to say I know this one! It's nutsedge. It's evil. Read up about it before just yanking it out because it has root nodules that break off easily and just turn into a new plant and a never ending battle.

Uh-oh... this isn\'t ornamental grass after all!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: red hot poker? or something else?? - September 20th, 2006 at 06:47 AM
ters oh WAAAAAA just what I didn't want,,
NUTSEDGE!! frown ters

Thank you Malica!! For letting me know!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: red hot poker? or something else?? - September 21st, 2006 at 12:06 AM
oh! that showed up in my gardens and grass this year! it spreads fast too! pulls up easily enough...didn't know about the nodules before i pulled it up tho, so i'm sure it'll be back next year...
Posted By: Wrennie Re: red hot poker? or something else?? - September 22nd, 2006 at 12:08 AM
My red hot pokers are very small. They look like grass almost. Dig those out carefully. Maybe the pokers will pop next season? I had a bleeding heart that never broke the surface the year I planted it. The next year I was raking keaves out to plant something new and there was the BH popping up. Its HUGE now. Even moved it to my new house. Possibly the pokers will do that for you! i hope!
Posted By: dodge Re: red hot poker? or something else?? - September 22nd, 2006 at 06:58 AM
My red hot pokers dont look that skinny.. THey have a pattern..like \\// that..Heavier.
First year, so I guess 2007 it will bloom??

I hope.
dodge :p
Posted By: angelblossom Re: red hot poker? or something else?? - September 22nd, 2006 at 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Wrennie:
My red hot pokers are very small. They look like grass almost. Dig those out carefully. Maybe the pokers will pop next season? I had a bleeding heart that never broke the surface the year I planted it. The next year I was raking keaves out to plant something new and there was the BH popping up. Its HUGE now. Even moved it to my new house. Possibly the pokers will do that for you! I hope!
I hope so too Wrennie I planted two packages I thought this was it because it grew grass like and in clumps Saturday morning me and my hand shovel will go to work getting rid of this mess I have now!

Dodge maybe next year IS the key!! I'll do what Wrennie said and be careful because I planted in the exact spot these are growing,, Also the bleeding heart I DID have died soon after it bloomed I sure hope it comes back next year I loved it!
Posted By: dodge Re: red hot poker? or something else?? - September 22nd, 2006 at 07:14 PM
angel blossom,

If mine get seeds next spring I will send some.. Be sure to ask me.
THe didnt have any this time?????/I watched for some one else ........no dice.

dodge
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]