A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: dirt in my diamonds pony tail palm and dracaena marginata - February 1st, 2007 at 08:36 PM
I would appreciate help naming these. I've had them for awhile and they are both healthy, but curious about what their names are. They both came from Walmart and were labeled "tropical." teech

Plant #1
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And Plant #2
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks so much!
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: pony tail palm and dracaena marginata - February 1st, 2007 at 09:28 PM
Hi there, wavey Two really nice plants, I grow them both.
Your first plant is a young Beaucarnea recurvata ("Ponytail Palm"),
looks like there are 3 in the pot,
I have one that's about 35 years old,
and the second is Dracaena marginata ("Madagascar Dragon Tree").
W'mart got one thing right, they are both tropicals. wink
Posted By: dirt in my diamonds Re: pony tail palm and dracaena marginata - February 1st, 2007 at 11:41 PM
wavey
Thank you! My 6-yr old daughter is overjoyed with the names- she wears ponytails and thought that was hilarious for a plant, and LOVES the movie Madagascar, so she gasped as if someone had told her all of the cartoons had just come to life. LOL

Thanks again smile
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: pony tail palm and dracaena marginata - February 2nd, 2007 at 01:58 AM
Very glad to help, grinnnn and especially happy that your daughter is so tickled. clp

Both of these plants can grow to be tall houseplants.
This is my "Ponytail Palm", it's about 5 ft tall,
we keep it potbound to keep it from growing too tall for the house.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Darryl the Fern Re: pony tail palm and dracaena marginata - February 2nd, 2007 at 04:10 PM
A word on ponytail palms, as people grow them in the ground here. If you don't keep it pot-bound to one degree or another, as ilustrated above, they will grow to 20 feet pluis in height, and I've seen several with base 'bulbs' in the 3' - 4' range... They can get to take up some substantial real estate, but they are very, very unusual to see in the open.
Posted By: DowntoEarth Re: pony tail palm and dracaena marginata - February 2nd, 2007 at 09:58 PM
Zuzu,

I LOVE your ponytail palm! It looks VERY healthy too!

thumbup
Posted By: dirt in my diamonds Re: pony tail palm and dracaena marginata - February 6th, 2007 at 09:32 PM
How exciting!! How quickly do they grow?? I have only had mine about a month- it was on sale at Walmart grinnnn
Posted By: Anonymous Re: pony tail palm and dracaena marginata - February 7th, 2007 at 05:11 AM
zuzu that is an absolutely gorgeous ponytail!!!! i've never knew they could get that big!!!

dimd, they don't grow too quickly...see zuzu's first post where she mentions hers is 35 years old...
Posted By: kizer_4 Re: pony tail palm and dracaena marginata - February 11th, 2007 at 09:33 PM
Wow! That is a beautiful ponytail palm. I have one myself I just recently bought in Jan. and I am going to buy a few more.
Posted By: MLN Re: pony tail palm and dracaena marginata - February 12th, 2007 at 07:43 PM
I love ponytails. They are so easy to grow. Mine is 23 years old now (hubby gave it to me for Valentines Day 2nd year we were married). There are four in the pot and it's quite large now. We have to put it on rollers to get it out onto the porch for the summer laugh (That's me laughing, NOT my hubby who is the one to get it out every year!)
Posted By: Carly Re: pony tail palm and dracaena marginata - February 24th, 2007 at 02:15 PM
I thought of this thread on Thursday night when I saw one of these plants on Shark.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]