A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: shrcoh Aeonium 'Schwartzkopf' plant fell over - March 5th, 2007 at 07:01 AM
I have a small Aeonium 'Schwartzkopf' plant which unfortunately took a rather large fall and as a result the stem broke. I read here (http://www.ruthbancroftgarden.org/pages/plants/aeonium-arboreum.html) that the plants are cultivated by taking a cutting and letting it dry for a few days so I'm doing that with the top part of the plant but what about the roots and small stem sticking out? If I water it will this part grow into a new plant? Any other suggestions on how to save the plant?

thanks!
Posted By: MLN Re: Aeonium 'Schwartzkopf' plant fell over - March 5th, 2007 at 03:23 PM
Don't know exactly what type of plant it is you have here but if it broke off high enough to leave some stem, chances are good it will put on new growth. Nothing to lose by continuing to water it, leave it in it's same location, and see what happens.
Posted By: Aaron D Re: Aeonium 'Schwartzkopf' plant fell over - March 6th, 2007 at 04:19 AM
YES Aeonium, stalks will grow a new growing point (meristem) it takes time a patience... but dont worry:)

--AARON
Posted By: cinta Re: Aeonium 'Schwartzkopf' plant fell over - March 7th, 2007 at 06:02 AM
Yes it will grow from the stem but do not water it, I just squirt the stem every other day until you see it starting to grow some leaves.
Posted By: shrcoh Re: Aeonium 'Schwartzkopf' plant fell over - March 11th, 2007 at 09:41 PM
thanks for the advice. I just replanted the top of the plant and I'll keep the broken stem watered and see what happens.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]