A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Anonymous Counting birds for the cause - Project FeederWatch - January 21st, 2007 at 04:35 PM
Hi All wavey
Day one Project FeederWatch - The yard is Electric!

It's an exciting day here at our house. It's our first official day counting birds as part of Cornell's FeederWatch program.

You can check it if you like at www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw.

What a great beginning!

Winter finally arrived here. It's January 21st and the first cold front of year is coming through. Later today we have our first possibility of snow since last winter.

All the regulars are popping. We knew there were many dark-eyed juncos - but 65!! Thorny now you do know where your juncos are!

We are blessed to have more than dozen species a day to our yard. But, we had to auspicious visitors to start the program. First the lovely...
[Linked Image]
Man... Bluebirds really are something special. I am thinking of offering mealworms just to get them to visit more (ka-ching)The pair were together, they usually are... but that picture didn't turn out. One visited the heated birdbath -- victory!
Now the ugly... [Linked Image]
We identified this guy as Sharp-shinned hawk. He perched on the fence and waited. He scares me. This is our first shots of him. We knew we had a Cooper's but, I kept telling hubby there is smaller one.

We are busy counting... catch up with you later
Posted By: Thornius Re: Counting birds for the cause - Project FeederWatch - January 21st, 2007 at 05:16 PM
I've got lots of Juncos now! :p
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Counting birds for the cause - Project FeederWatch - January 21st, 2007 at 05:35 PM
Thorny,
Well, I let the sharp-shinned know your juncos were fat and juicy. So, he'll be on his way.. I gave him an aerial shot of your house and off he went!
Posted By: Thornius Re: Counting birds for the cause - Project FeederWatch - January 21st, 2007 at 06:35 PM
Ah, he'll get mixed up and end up 1 mile north of me at Andrew Jackson's Mansion and grave. Sharp-Shins can't read maps worth a darn! laugh
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Counting birds for the cause - Project FeederWatch - February 6th, 2007 at 03:19 PM
laugh
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Counting birds for the cause - Project FeederWatch - February 6th, 2007 at 03:51 PM
Are those ones ever pretty!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Counting birds for the cause - Project FeederWatch - February 6th, 2007 at 04:31 PM
Thanks Penny,
I love it when the bluebirds visit. They have the loveliest looks and songs.

The hawks are hubby's favorite... I don't them... They make me nervous shk
Posted By: Thornius Re: Counting birds for the cause - Project FeederWatch - February 6th, 2007 at 06:04 PM
I like Warblers, Woodpeckers, and Bluebirds. I have been involved in Bluebird conservation for years.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]