A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: flycats kumquat - February 5th, 2007 at 10:15 PM
My kumquat still has green fruit on it. Only a couple turning orange but not ripe yet. Should I leave them on or is it time for me to take the loss and pick the green fruit? Then do I prune or just let the tree grow and get more flowers? THANKS!
Posted By: papito Re: kumquat - February 7th, 2007 at 03:14 PM
I also have Nagami Kumquats [7]. They are in plastic and ceramic pots. I leave the green fruits in until the color turns to dark orange...and keep them in the trees sometimes through April or May.

Kumquats needs very little pruning to remain productive. Just remove any dead, or dried branches. They do need regular watering and fertilizing.
Posted By: flycats Re: kumquat - February 8th, 2007 at 10:13 PM
THANKS! Ok I'll leave them on. Will I still get blooms? Will they come with the fruit still on there?
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: kumquat - February 8th, 2007 at 10:53 PM
Papito, what do you do with kumquats?
Cook or eat raw or in a jam or?
Posted By: papito Re: kumquat - February 9th, 2007 at 01:18 AM
Flycats,

Yes, you'll get blooms even with the fruits still in the tree.

Deborah,

We just eat them raw...not enough for making jam.

BTW, the Chinese New Year is on Feb 18, 2007.

Kumquat: prosperity. Kumquats are called "gam gat sue" in Chinese. The word "gam" is similar to the word for gold, and the word "gat" to that for luck. The tiny green leaves of this plant symbolize riches and the small fruits unity and perfection.
http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/?action=occasion_show&id=8&lg=en

http://goasia.about.com/cs/azsiteindex/a/chinesenewyear.htm
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: kumquat - February 9th, 2007 at 02:00 AM
You eat the whole thing with the skin on?
Or peel each one?
Posted By: papito Re: kumquat - February 9th, 2007 at 03:56 PM
You eat the whole thing with the skin on?
We usually eat the whole fruit with the rind. The rind is sweet and the juicy center is sour...so eating it whole savors the contrasting flavor. However, you can eat just the rind or just the meat.
Posted By: njoynit Re: kumquat - February 13th, 2007 at 03:18 PM
I have meiwa kumquat.I love it.Leave the fruit on till its ripe.It will turn orange.they'll feel firm.they are ready when you can feel a lil give in the skin when squeeze(less hard) They taste better if roll them in palm 1st it releases the juices.They are good in tequilia,you can make pies,add to salads.add to hot tea good in green tea.I have a jar of this currant seasons fruits infuseing with brandy(spagetti jar full of kumquats with X in each end 1 cup sugar and top off with brandy or choice of liqour.kept shaken daily 1st 2 weeks then once or twice a month a good& I'll keep topped off for at least 3 years but 5 is perfect....if can wait Keept in cool dark corner...my cabinet laugh )
oh!I forgot.I grilled some with chicken on a kabob once and we're yummy grilled& I chopped up 8 kumquats one nite and added honey& soy sauce over pork chops.we're yummy too though was for manderian oranges.Meiwa's are sweeter than nagumi's meiwas are round naguni's are oval?egg shaped....more of what's sold in grocery stores.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]