A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Tonya Ginger Lily? - October 28th, 2006 at 08:28 PM
I posted this plant here earlier in the year, but wanted to see if the ID of Ginger Lily still fits. It send out a bloom pod/stalk thingy! smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These are from a few days ago, but it frosted and the "flower" has not opened any more, really. It smells sooooo good, tho! Just like VERY strong Honeysuckle. Duh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ginger Lily? - October 28th, 2006 at 09:45 PM
it's beautiful! what ever it is!!
Posted By: Tonya Re: Ginger Lily? - October 28th, 2006 at 09:54 PM
It looked MUCH better before I quit watering everything for the season(everything else is dead/dying) and it's leaves turned brown.
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: Ginger Lily? - October 28th, 2006 at 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Tonya:
I posted this plant here earlier in the year, but wanted to see if the ID of Ginger Lily still fits.
thumbup Yup, that's Hedychium coronarium , ("ginger lily" or "butterfly ginger").
Posted By: Tonya Re: Ginger Lily? - October 29th, 2006 at 06:33 AM
Thanks, Zuzu! kissies You are so good at ID'ing plants! thumbup
Posted By: zuzu's petals Re: Ginger Lily? - October 29th, 2006 at 07:57 AM
You're most welcome, Tonya. thumbup grinnnn
Posted By: Patty S Re: Ginger Lily? - October 29th, 2006 at 11:54 AM
Thanks for posting the pics, Tonya! Duh

I heard they they have an awesome smell & can't wait till mine bloom! I figure that if yours got down to business this late in the year where you are, maybe there's still hope for mine. smile
Posted By: nmlAlba-dC15 Re: Ginger Lily? - October 29th, 2006 at 12:10 PM
Hi everyone...

my ginger lily hasnt bloomed either... have had it for quite sometime n m rather impatient to see it bloom!!

Hi PattyS...have u received my package? Sent u a PM some time ago ..thanking u for yours n telling u that mine is on its way to u...do hope it has arrived safely...

wavey
Posted By: Patty S Re: Ginger Lily? - October 29th, 2006 at 01:54 PM
Hi back to you, Norhaini! wavey

Yes, I received your package just yesterday, but was in the midst of packing for our trip, so I didn't have time to PM you. I need to get with you & have you tell me about care requirements. I got the starts right into light soil, but need to know what the ideal plantiing medium is for them.
[Linked Image]But I don't think we should do it here & hijack Tonya's Ginger Lily topic... She might come after us! [Linked Image]

Do you know what color your Ginger Lilies will be? Have they blossomed for you before? (I'm away from home right now... with a very slow laptop, & am heading for bed. Will catch you later.) kissies
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]