A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: obywan59 Funny sounding crow - March 21st, 2007 at 06:28 AM
I had spent most of the day today, working on my yard, getting the spring fertilizing done, then about 5:30 finished all I could do, so I decided to take a little break and sit in the lounge chair up under my oak tree. After relaxing for a few minutes, I heard this strange noise. At first, it kind of sounded like a cat in distress, but weaker. I looked in the direction the sound came from and I was looking directly at a pine tree where a couple of crows had been building this really huge nest for the past couple of weeks, and decided that the sound was vaguely crow-like, only different. Then I saw some fluttering wings in another tree about 50 feet beyond the pine tree, and upon looking more closely saw 2 crows, one on top of the other. I have no idea what they were doing Duh , but at least one them appeared to be having a really good time. shocked
Posted By: MLN Re: Funny sounding crow - March 21st, 2007 at 11:33 AM
I'm sure when Thornius comes along, he will have a really good explanation. All I can say is I've heard crows make some really strange sounds--they seem to have quite an extensive vocabulary! Maybe your crow was saying, "Ummmmmm." laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Thornius Re: Funny sounding crow - March 21st, 2007 at 02:56 PM
I "THINK" I know what they were doing. We bird photographers always like to get pictures of this particular activity. Baby Crows make a high pitched garbling crow-like sound when they are waiting to be fed. Listen for that when the babies come along.

ANd often when cats participate in this kind of activity, they sound like they are in distress.

"Birds do it, Bees do it, even little kitties in distress do it. Let's do it! Let's fall in love!"
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Funny sounding crow - March 21st, 2007 at 04:38 PM
laugh laugh laugh

Thorny, any idea how long till the eggs are all laid? I looked in one of my bird books, and found out that the incubation period is 18 days and the nesting phase another 21 days or more.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Funny sounding crow - March 21st, 2007 at 06:30 PM
Where I used to live, every year I watched adult crows feeding babies that were nearly grown-almost as big as the parents.
I never saw a baby that was small, they were always much larger than grackles. I thought maybe the parents kept them hidden until they were old enough and big enough to be seen?
The babies sounded like the adults, but weaker and more quiet.
Posted By: Thornius Re: Funny sounding crow - March 21st, 2007 at 11:31 PM
I had a friend that used to rob Crows' nests of babies to raise as pets when I was a boy. It seems like he did it in April or May.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]