A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Dawn Marie Wandering Jew (Tradescantia albiflora) pic saved - November 24th, 2003 at 06:50 PM
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Anyone have any clue as to what this is?

Dawn
Posted By: Dawn Marie Re: Wandering Jew (Tradescantia albiflora) pic saved - November 24th, 2003 at 07:06 PM
[Linked Image]

Can't believe I posted the thumbnail first!

Dawn
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wandering Jew (Tradescantia albiflora) pic saved - November 24th, 2003 at 07:23 PM
Hey Dawn,
I am no house plant expert,
but looks like some kind of
"Wandering Jew"?????????? Duh
Weezie
Posted By: catlover Re: Wandering Jew (Tradescantia albiflora) pic saved - November 24th, 2003 at 08:09 PM
looks like a wandering jew to me as well!
kit
Posted By: mom54 Re: Wandering Jew (Tradescantia albiflora) pic saved - November 24th, 2003 at 09:31 PM
Might be a "Cleopatras' Earring". Sorry, I don't the proper name. I used to grow mine in a hanging basket. grinnnn
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wandering Jew (Tradescantia albiflora) pic saved - November 24th, 2003 at 09:36 PM
dawn, I have a cutting of that. don't know what it is called, but it does act just like a wandering jew. the only difference it the leaves are much smaller on mine.
Posted By: lizheaemma Re: Wandering Jew (Tradescantia albiflora) pic saved - November 24th, 2003 at 10:44 PM
I think that it is this:
I have some of it and it grows like a weed!
http://www.calpoly.edu/~envhort/OH324/purple_heart.htm

If this is not the exact on go forward images there's a bunch more! wink

Jiffy mouse
A couple from this image there is a teddy bear variety!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wandering Jew (Tradescantia albiflora) pic saved - November 25th, 2003 at 12:24 AM
AWESOME SITE LIZ! i think it is more like the teddy bear than the purple heart. i have the purple heart also, but the leaves on it are much bigger and more purple. this one had purple undersides of the mature leaves with green tops. the young leaves are all green.
Posted By: lizheaemma Re: Wandering Jew (Tradescantia albiflora) pic saved - November 25th, 2003 at 12:26 AM
Do the leaves get more purple then the ones that I can see? Or when it's in the sun?
Has it flowered for you? If so what colour?

Here's another link for you to look at!
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Commelinaceae/Tradescantia.html
Posted By: Dawn Marie Re: Wandering Jew (Tradescantia albiflora) pic saved - November 25th, 2003 at 04:14 AM
Thanks for all the responses! I believe its in the Wandering Jew family but its not the purple heart. It doesn't like a lot of light either, burned it bad this summer but as you can see it refused to die. It stays green except for the bit of purple on the undersides of the leaves. The blooms kinda come out on a spike and are small and white, kinda looks like mini pom poms.

Dawn
Posted By: lizheaemma Re: Wandering Jew (Tradescantia albiflora) pic saved - November 25th, 2003 at 04:38 AM
Wandering Jew (Tradescantia albiflora)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wandering Jew (Tradescantia albiflora) pic saved - November 25th, 2003 at 04:36 PM
Liz, Dawn, I think that is it!! mine has tiny leaves, but acts just like my wandering jew. so... I also have the purple heart, the "regular (purple leaf)" wandering jew, and a green variety of the wandering jew (white and green striped leaves).
hope mine does as well as yours Dawn!
Posted By: njoynit Re: Wandering Jew (Tradescantia albiflora) pic saved - November 25th, 2003 at 05:07 PM
I have the wadering jew purple striped have not seen it flower
got the purple heart and one looks like it but is greenish with purplish tint and both have same flowerbloom.enjoyed checking all those pics out though.that purple heart gets rooty when it stops growing know its time to re pot
Posted By: Dawn Marie Re: Wandering Jew (Tradescantia albiflora) pic saved - November 26th, 2003 at 05:12 AM
Close but no cookie. The flower spike is 1'- 2' tall and has little blooms along it. The leaves on my plant are also longer and the stems are thicker. They also grow closer together. I noticed today that there is a red-purple blush on new leaves on the babies plus all outer edges of all leaves are lined in this color. Still have some film left...will get an upclose and personal pic. Thanks again everyone!!!!

Dawn
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]