A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: ms8miranda I KNOW IT'S A WEED, BUT WHAT??? - July 3rd, 2005 at 05:35 AM
[Linked Image]
I know this is considered a weed; it's going crazy here this year. As I'm pulling it, I'm noticing how pretty it is with the reddish design in the center and wondering if it would look nice as a house plant. Can anyone tell me what this is??? :rolleyes:
Posted By: weezie13 Re: I KNOW IT'S A WEED, BUT WHAT??? - July 3rd, 2005 at 11:31 AM
Miranda,
It looks to me like Wild Purslane
I have always loved that plant, because it reminded me of a Jade plant...

But my father HATED the stuff, as it took over his garden... everytime you cut up a piece of it,
it makes a new plant...the root system is never quite pulled out either...
I have it, here and there, but not much, as I do keep after it.. *cause I remember what his garden looked like* but, in my raised veggie beds,
I have landscape fabric'd them and I hardly have any weeds any more...

But, save one, pot it up, chuck the rest...

I do know that there is a domesticated purslane that can be bought, has the same charactoristics of this one, but is an annual and dies as soon
as it gets cold..
It has either a yellow*ish* or orange*ish* colored flowers...very pretty...
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: I KNOW IT'S A WEED, BUT WHAT??? - July 3rd, 2005 at 10:01 PM
Maybe this or something like it.

Euphorbia supina
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I KNOW IT'S A WEED, BUT WHAT??? - July 4th, 2005 at 12:43 AM
It does look like Purslane Weezie, it also reminds me of spurge...I have tons of the stuff around here....Purslane BTW are related to one of my favorites...the Portulaca.
Posted By: ms8miranda Re: I KNOW IT'S A WEED, BUT WHAT??? - July 4th, 2005 at 12:45 AM
I think it's probably the last one, Euphorbia Supina. Close anyway. I'll have to see if it has milky sap from broken branchlets.

Thanks so much for your help, peeps! smile

RugbyHukr, I love your signature - that sounds like me!!!
Posted By: ms8miranda Re: I KNOW IT'S A WEED, BUT WHAT??? - July 4th, 2005 at 01:08 AM
Hey Weezie - did you see I posted a picture of the ?Calendula? bloom?
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]