A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: melcon6 My mystery du jour - September 6th, 2006 at 10:00 AM
Does anyone know what this is? I found it in a long forgotten and overgrown with weeds vegetable garden. The garden hasn't been planted for several years, and I just got around to clearing it and planting some flowers and tree in it. While clearing I found this lil mystery plant in the corner. The corner it was found in I did used to plant things that just had to get in the ground , but like I said that was a few years ago, I also found a small hosta near it. So, whatever this is , it is either a perennial that I threw in there and forgot about or some kind of perennial wildflower native to this area.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My mystery du jour - September 7th, 2006 at 01:11 AM
oh! that's pretty!!!!

dunno what it is tho.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: My mystery du jour - September 7th, 2006 at 01:22 AM
That is pretty but i have no clue either...sorry!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My mystery du jour - September 7th, 2006 at 01:32 AM
Hmmmm, it reminds me of something---I just can't put my finger on it. perpl If I could only pull it out of the deep recesses of my brain. laugh
Posted By: melcon6 Re: My mystery du jour - September 7th, 2006 at 02:47 AM
Originally posted by loz:
Hmmmm, it reminds me of something---I just can't put my finger on it. perpl If I could only pull it out of the deep recesses of my brain. laugh
That's exactly what I was thinking, you funny girl! laugh laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: My mystery du jour - September 7th, 2006 at 03:16 AM
Mel,
Got a different angle of the picture?
That would be helpful....

Reminds me of a local weed..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My mystery du jour - September 7th, 2006 at 04:05 AM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by melcon6:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by loz:
<strong> Hmmmm, it reminds me of something---I just can't put my finger on it. thumbup
Posted By: Wrennie Re: My mystery du jour - September 7th, 2006 at 04:25 AM
Reminds me of spiderwort.
Posted By: flowerpower313 Re: My mystery du jour - September 7th, 2006 at 04:37 PM
It reminds me of a weed I call "Butter and Eggs". So possibly Toadflax? The flowers will look like mini snapdragons.
Posted By: melcon6 Re: My mystery du jour - September 7th, 2006 at 05:47 PM
It's funny, I knew Weezie was gonna ask me for another angle! laugh because that picture wasn't the greatest. I tried to get another picture yesterday, but it's hard because there is really no background and the camera can't focus on this plant. So, I either have to bring a dark, blank background out there or I might cut one down and bring it in. I'll get you another picture! thumbup
Posted By: weezie13 Re: My mystery du jour - September 7th, 2006 at 06:57 PM
Originally posted by melcon6:
It's funny, I knew Weezie was gonna ask me for another angle! laugh
shocked smile Sometimes when you only focus in a flower, it makes the flower look really big and out of "whack" sorta...
so you're thinkin' it's a huge flower when you go lookin' and it's only the size of a pencil tip..
and it helps with the stem and leaf formation and how the leaves are even ON the stem helps too....

We'll be here when you do get a good shot in... thumbup clp
Posted By: Carly Re: My mystery du jour - September 8th, 2006 at 09:55 PM
A wild impatiens?

(wild guess - heh! heh!)
Posted By: Carly Re: My mystery du jour - September 8th, 2006 at 10:02 PM
An even wilder guess?

Jewelweed?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: My mystery du jour - September 8th, 2006 at 10:40 PM
Nope, definately not Jewelweed...
Posted By: Carly Re: My mystery du jour - September 8th, 2006 at 10:47 PM
Shows ta' go ya' - what do I know? I'm just weed lady - ha ha!
Posted By: Carly Re: My mystery du jour - September 8th, 2006 at 10:48 PM
Do those flowers/buds pop if you squeeze 'em?
Posted By: melcon6 Re: My mystery du jour - October 8th, 2006 at 07:23 PM
I think I found it while doing some research to try and help out nml Alba, I think what I have is a native penstemon. The flower and the unopened bud look just right. I'm still checking it out, there are hundreds of pictures of course.
Posted By: netty Re: My mystery du jour - October 9th, 2006 at 04:45 AM
That reminds me of a plant I used to have called "Party girl". I think it was in the Mallow family.
I'll see if I can find it...
Posted By: netty Re: My mystery du jour - October 9th, 2006 at 04:54 AM
Could your plant be Sidalcea?
Posted By: melcon6 Re: My mystery du jour - October 9th, 2006 at 09:54 AM
Netty, I checked out your party girl and it's not it. Thanks for trying , though, and party girl sure is pretty! thumbup
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: My mystery du jour - October 9th, 2006 at 10:30 AM
Gaura?
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]