A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: angelblossom New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 19th, 2006 at 07:59 AM
After all the fear of cutting off old pitchers eek not knowing what would happen I finally did it, A few weeks ago I repotted my Nepenthus 'Alata' after finally finding silica sand(pool supply store) and mixing a batch of soil found on a great site for pitcher plants, but not disturbing the roots leaving old soil on but gently rinsed with rain water , repotted, crossed my fingers, prayed my plant prayer, and waited to see what would happen...
Look Guys........ grinnnn clp clp I have pitchers forming!!! the largest is the size of an okra and I believe I even see it's 'lid forming too,, It's in the center of the plant on the first pitcher and I have several forming clp YESSSS I'm excited everyday is a learning experience with these.. I'd have to say IT is teaching me lala
[Linked Image]

And this is the other side of the pot!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: comfrey Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 19th, 2006 at 08:31 AM
Wow that is great, congratulations!!!!!
Posted By: Triss Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 19th, 2006 at 10:11 AM
Diane, those look awesome. Are the new pitchers forming where the old ones were? I will take some pics of mine tomorrow so you can see cuz I think I have them forming as well.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 20th, 2006 at 05:47 AM
Originally posted by comfrey:
Wow that is great, congratulations!!!!!
Thanks Comfrey! This one is a real challange but I love it! cool

Triss> Not it's not in the same place as old pitchers.. In the first Pic on the right you'll see two leaves with short Greenish strems Those are the ones I cut off.. when a pitcher is wanting to form the stem gets a reddish color and gets long and at the end of that a red flat pod forms and it goes from there.
I hope you are getting them too!!! that would be awesome!!! grinnnn
Posted By: TomR Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 20th, 2006 at 06:57 AM
YAY!!!! Isn't it great?! Mine just put up a new pitcher and the spring ones are still hanging in there!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 20th, 2006 at 07:18 AM
Looks good Tom!

So Diane, the old one will just continue to be leaves rather than get additional pitchers?
Posted By: Triss Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 20th, 2006 at 09:07 AM
Here is my baby.
[Linked Image]

I think I have a pitcher forming on the bottom right and middle left as well. There is also a new leaf with one that may be starting on the top.

Diane, I am planning on leaving it right in that container you sent along with. Looks great there and the green goes along with the rest of the bathroom!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 21st, 2006 at 02:07 AM
YESSS TRISS !!! You are getting some!! thumbup clp Do you feed your pitchers as they develop( After lid has developed) or wait untill the entire pitcher has developed??
Posted By: Triss Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 21st, 2006 at 02:11 AM
SIX WOW, that is great. I will be sure and post mor pics as it grows.

I have been faithfully collecting rain water just for this plant also.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 21st, 2006 at 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Triss:

I have been faithfully collecting rain water just for this plant also.
'Atta Girl!! thumbup grinnnn
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 21st, 2006 at 07:33 AM
Looks great Triss!!!
Posted By: Triss Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 21st, 2006 at 08:53 AM
Thanks! I am thrilled with it. And it sure seems happy in the place I put it. Gets lots of light all day long!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 22nd, 2006 at 04:00 AM
Your doing great with it Triss! It looks very happy!!!!
Posted By: TomR Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 22nd, 2006 at 07:34 AM
When the pitchers start dieing off clip them off at the leaf tip, I don't believe the leaf will not produce another one. I do not feed my pitchers but a 1/4 strength spray of miracle grow or 10-10-10 fertilizer on the leaves say once a month during the growing season is good to do.

Mine stays outside from after last frost in the spring to just before first frost in the fall, it gets it's own bugs/food. No need to put anything in the pitchers.

Tom
Posted By: angelblossom Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 22nd, 2006 at 09:13 AM
Tom..., What about the winter months when you have them inside do you feed your pitchers crickets or millworms or just feed them in the growing months???
I fed mine crickets last winter up until I took out for the spring and summer and you're right they do get feed by nature outside, just curious what you do over the winter??
Posted By: rubberbandman Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 23rd, 2006 at 09:59 AM
Just wondering. What does a pitcher plant cost? I have a vft but im interested in getting a pitcher plant.
Posted By: Jimmy V Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 23rd, 2006 at 11:21 AM
rubberbandman it depends on were you can find them. A little while back Krogers in DFW area was selling them for $9.?? each. I got one at Krogers near me for $6.00 because it was the last one. If you can find them in your area be preparied to spend around $20.00 and up. May be you would wait till spring and get one in a trade with some of us that have them. There are several online sites you can buy them from but you will find out the shipping fafr exceeds the price a lot of time. I am tryng to get a start from a cutting now if I get one going I would send you a cutting next spring if you like or like I said above in a trade with ne or two of us that has them.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 24th, 2006 at 06:55 AM
Originally posted by rubberbandman:
Just wondering. What does a pitcher plant cost? I have a vft but im interested in getting a pitcher plant.
When I lived In Topeka there was a nursery called " Jacksons" and one called " Hefners" I don't know if there are though out KS or not But I'd try calling a local nursery and put it one a wish list for the spring a lot of nurserys will do their best to get items on the wish list for customers,, then they call you when they get it in.. OR can refer you to someone that has them,,
Posted By: angelblossom Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 30th, 2006 at 06:24 AM
Picture here on Up Date on developing Pitchers; The lids have formed and seperated from the pitcher there are still a few not yet seperated and more pitchers are developing

[Linked Image]
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 31st, 2006 at 01:46 AM
What a neat looking plant!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 31st, 2006 at 08:09 AM
Diane - that is TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO [Linked Image]!!!
Posted By: TomR Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 31st, 2006 at 08:52 AM
Angelblossom,
This is my first winter with the plant. I will not feed it anything again until spring. I may spray it with a 1/4 strength miracle grow solution once a month but that's it. I let nature do it's thing with the plant during the growing season outside under my back patio. Bugs are attracted to them from sight and smell.

Tom
Posted By: TomR Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 31st, 2006 at 08:53 AM
Originally posted by angelblossom:
[QB] Picture here on Up Date on developing Pitchers; The lids have formed and seperated from the pitcher there are still a few not yet seperated and more pitchers are developing

Very NICE!

Tom
Posted By: angelblossom Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 31st, 2006 at 09:55 AM
Thanks you Penny, Lynne and TomR..

TomR last Winter When I purchased mine I feed crickets once in four weeks and misted dailey with distilled water,, I now have 4 gallons of rain water stored in jugs so that should last me untill spring! thumbup grinnnn
Posted By: Triss Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 31st, 2006 at 10:09 AM
Dianna, Looks beautiful. I think mine is still in shock from the move, but it is holding steady. And the new leaf is growing, just slowly.
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - October 31st, 2006 at 11:53 AM
That is an unusual looking plant, Diane! I bet it is a conversation starter for all who see it...

Dianna
Posted By: angelblossom Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - November 1st, 2006 at 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Dixie Angel:
That is an unusual looking plant, Diane! I bet it is a conversation starter for all who see it...

Dianna
Oh It is Dianna ! thumbup When I first got it and visitors came over I was like a bragging mama,, and it was very much a great conversation plant!
Posted By: ladystressout Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - November 18th, 2006 at 12:19 AM
angelblossom I got one pitcher growing and as soon as it gets bigger going to try to take a picture of it and email it to you but I'm so excited I GOT ONE!!!!!! Rita
Posted By: angelblossom Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - November 18th, 2006 at 08:28 AM
thumbup
Posted By: Jimmy V Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - November 19th, 2006 at 04:23 AM
Just fed mine a box of crickets this morning they seemed to like them even burped after wards laugh let them wash it down with rain water got new pitchers on both.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - November 19th, 2006 at 06:19 AM
OHHH Yeah for you too Jimmy!!! How rude you should teach your pitchers some manners burbing in your face like that!,, but then again those must have been some Mighty good crickets!! lala laugh laugh laugh Do you mist your with rain water daily??
Posted By: Jimmy V Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - November 19th, 2006 at 12:53 PM
Almost everyday as long as the rain water lasts then back to distilled water. I know plants can be so rude at times. laugh laugh
Posted By: angelblossom Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - November 20th, 2006 at 04:55 AM
laugh laugh so true Jimmy I have quite a bit of rain water left but also just bought some distilled water thumbup
Posted By: angelblossom Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - December 31st, 2006 at 01:20 PM
Checking in with Triss, ladystressout,Tom R and Jimmy!! How's those pitcher plants doing?? Any new pitchers??
Jimmy I meant to look at your pitcher plant when I visited you! But I was so entertained with the AV and Animals I forgot all about it!!!

I had started two new p plants from cutting and One of the cutting has survived soooo far! It's is growing and has even developed a third leaf!! So I'm happy about that!!

Let me know how your p plants are doing!!
Posted By: Triss Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - January 1st, 2007 at 06:58 AM
No pitchers on mine at all BUT I have all kinds of growth. It looks great! I even have a new baby growing up from the dirt! I am thrilled with the plant and hope once the weather warms I will get pitchers.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - January 1st, 2007 at 07:06 AM
Oh No Triss so the ones I saw on the tips of the leaves never developed on out then??!!! Yep I believe once you can set it outside It may encourage those tips to develope!! Well..., a new leave coming form the soil is an excellent sign it's happy!! thumbup clp
Posted By: Triss Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - January 1st, 2007 at 07:10 AM
They only developed into lil things that fizzled out. I think that it is just too cold here, even in the bathroom for them to develope properly. Lemme go take a couple pics of the plant. It it easily twice the size as when you sent it.
Posted By: Triss Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - January 1st, 2007 at 07:24 AM
Ok here is the pitcher. It is already wilty at the end, like the others have gone before it.
[Linked Image]

The plant must be happy though cuz here is 1 of 3 new babies. The other two I saw today when I took the plant down to take pics. The other two are under the front of the plant. thumbup
[Linked Image]

And my big and beautiful plant! It is putting out new leaves all of the time and just getting bigger and bigger!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: angelblossom Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - January 1st, 2007 at 08:01 AM
WOW Fantastic!!!!! Triss!!!! Thanks for taking the pictures!!! Duh At this point you and I are learning about it together!! perpl laugh
Posted By: Triss Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - January 1st, 2007 at 08:08 AM
Well mine does get loads of light. Where it is sitting up on the wall it gets a lot from the skylight, just so cool right now and the room it is in is the coolest by far. All of my plants are growing great though so I do not think running the heater in there is necessary. I just hope once it gets nice and warm I can put it out in the back of the hosue for morning sun but not afternoon heat will be good for it.

All I have been doing is watering it once a week with rain water and spraying it most every day with rain water as well. I have a special sprayer that hangs on the wall just for that plant.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - January 1st, 2007 at 10:21 AM
Cool You doing everything right!!! This spring when I set it outside I will make egg water you remember how to do that?? I think I wrote it down when I sent you the plant
Posted By: Triss Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - January 1st, 2007 at 10:26 AM
I am sure I saw that. I still quite a bit of time for that but will read it as spring approaches. If it is not there, then I will ask!
Posted By: Kratz7 Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - January 2nd, 2007 at 01:38 AM
Hi everyone,

I was just checking in on the forum posting on pitcher plant. Is it an easy plant to grow? I went to Ott's the other weekend and they have beautiful pitcher plants. I'm wondering if I should go and buy one......lol...or....
do they start from seeds? Can they be started from cuttings?

Here's a photo of one of their plants
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: angelblossom Re: New Pitchers on Nep' forming!!!! YEA!!!! - January 2nd, 2007 at 02:46 AM
Hey Kratz That one you showed is awesome.. They are fairly easy they love humidity and sunshine ( Not FULL SUN THO) Any sudden changes in humidity and they become very unhappy.. they should ONLY be watered with rain water or distilled water, and the pitchers I feed petstore crickets once every month and the pitchers should always have 1/2 water in them again from rain /distilled water, and like to be root bound !

I have started two cutting only one survived I'm still learning about this plant but so far I've been successful!! thumbup
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]