A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: E Another Lucky Bamboo Question - February 2nd, 2007 at 04:12 PM
Hi all,

I recently moved and unfortunately my lucky bamboo was not packed very well and in transit all the leaves from one of the stalks were stripped. It has been 3 months now and I've been hoping that there would be some re-growth but there's been nothing. The stalk remains green and healthy looking but there are no leaves at all growing out of it. Is there anything I can do to promote re-growth or is this a lost cause. I currently have it planted in soil in a clay pot and the other 2 stalks are doing quite well besides the fact it gets a little more direct sunlight than it requires.

Thanks
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another Lucky Bamboo Question - February 2nd, 2007 at 10:18 PM
you can cut the piece and it should start new growth - roots as well as new leaves.

just make sure there is at least one node (ring) on each piece. the new leaves will grow from the nodes.

also, put a little bit of wax on the top cut so that it will be protected from water splashing on it. just use a lit candle and let a few drops of melted wax drip onto the top cut.
Posted By: E Re: Another Lucky Bamboo Question - February 3rd, 2007 at 12:11 AM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. There is still a growth coming out the side of the main stalk but it's really just a nub with no leaves at all. Do you mean I should cut this off or cut the whole top of the main stalk off and a new growth will come out the side? Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another Lucky Bamboo Question - February 3rd, 2007 at 05:07 AM
you can cut the stalk in half and then put the piece without any roots (the top part of the original stalk) into water and it should root within a couple of weeks...

the piece that already has roots on it (the bottom part of the original stalk) should start sprouting new leaves. put a bit of wax on the top part of this piece - to seal the cut.
Posted By: E Re: Another Lucky Bamboo Question - February 3rd, 2007 at 04:27 PM
Much obliged!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another Lucky Bamboo Question - February 3rd, 2007 at 05:52 PM
you're welcome!!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]