A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Meg BIG weeds.. - June 20th, 2005 at 09:19 PM
This is really kinda tall.. probably 4'. What is it?

[Linked Image]

Top of one of them-
[Linked Image]

Meg
Posted By: mike57 Re: BIG weeds.. - June 21st, 2005 at 02:20 AM
HI wavey MEG it looks like poke salad to me it should put on berry's but do not eat them there poison.some folks eat the the plant but it has to boiled and drained and boiled and drained quite a few times.but i have never tried it.it has toxins in it.but some of the older folks around here in Alabama do eat the plant like greens.but they don't eat them very many times a year.heres a link on how to prepare it to eat.
http://www.chitterlings.com/blog/archives/2005/05/poke_salad.html

your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw
Posted By: Vada Re: BIG weeds.. - June 21st, 2005 at 02:43 AM
I was going to say the same thing. Looks like poke salad to me too.
Posted By: LMT Re: BIG weeds.. - June 21st, 2005 at 05:13 AM
I found this link that says bluebirds love the fruits of the plant and loads of other interesting/useful bits.
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: BIG weeds.. - June 21st, 2005 at 09:13 AM
If you decide to eat it, you must pick young shoots that have not begun to turn pinkish.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: BIG weeds.. - June 21st, 2005 at 09:42 AM
I've also heard it's good for getting stingers out if you happen to get stung? I've got these popping up everywhere (surprise!) and they drive me nuts, because you can't just pull them out (well, at least I can't) because they snap so easily.
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: BIG weeds.. - June 21st, 2005 at 10:53 AM
I have a ton of it...and am not really a poke salad eater! But, I read somewhere the other day that it is really poke sallat...is that correct? I have always known it as salad...not sallat....so then I thought that I had just been mis-pronouncing it my entire life. Have any of you ever seen it referred to as "sallat"? Duh
Posted By: mike57 Re: BIG weeds.. - June 22nd, 2005 at 12:58 AM
sallat is just another way some folks pronounce it. the corect name is poke salad.i have heard it pronounced both ways.your friend in gardening.mike57
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: BIG weeds.. - June 22nd, 2005 at 01:02 AM
Yep, sallat is actually German for salad I believe.
Posted By: jmacd Re: BIG weeds.. - June 22nd, 2005 at 01:39 AM
I had one of those and thought it was milkweed and left it to grow so I could get butterflies to pupate on it. When I realized it was not milkweed, I asked a friend and she called it poke weed or poke berry. Same thing.
I dug it out in the fall after the plant dried up but the tap root was white and slimey (yuck) and about 4 feet long. It did come up quite easily after the ground was good and soaked by rains. I used a garden fork to dig it.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: BIG weeds.. - June 22nd, 2005 at 01:50 AM
tap root ?

ters sca mad (insert screaming/running graemlin here!)
Posted By: Carly Re: BIG weeds.. - June 26th, 2005 at 05:50 PM
Ahhhhhhhh! I think somebody identified that for me about a month ago - they're very hard to get up out of the ground.

I have created a spot where I'm going to put some really wierd looking big weeds - stuff like those big thorns, etc. Maybe I'll include that sallat.

I still think they're little trees that are trying to grow though. No matter - I'll put them there anyway. It's on the curve of a fence where I've put some logs - I've been throwing leaves and some of that gawd-awful clayish soil.

I notice they aren't particular where they grow.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]