A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Anonymous ID help - the "lily pad" evergreen ??? - January 22nd, 2007 at 04:06 PM
Hi everyone,

I have an evergreen shrub in my yard that I call the lily pad evergreen. I want to know what it is really called. Here is a picture of it. Mind you I groom it in the spring - so it's looking a little rough
[Linked Image]
Thanks for your help.
Posted By: aighead Re: ID help - the "lily pad" evergreen ??? - January 23rd, 2007 at 02:34 AM
A closer picture may help a bit... Try to get one with a close up of an individual branch. Without seeing the needle (or leaf) formation it makes if difficult to tell. My initial guess would be a yew or juniper of some variety, but I can't really tell and could be wrong.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: ID help - the "lily pad" evergreen ??? - January 23rd, 2007 at 12:41 PM
Thanks a lot. I thought the lily pads defined this thing! I learned from obywan that it is vas cultivated this way.

Is there a genereal name for lily pad evergreens??
Posted By: M. D. Vaden of Oregon Re: ID help - the "lily pad" evergreen ??? - January 24th, 2007 at 12:12 AM
Based on my experiences, that effect is most common with Phitzer junipers.

And the texture looks just about right to match poodled Phitzers.

They naturally grown wide and arching, but when the limbs are stripped clean up to the ends, they poodle like that.

Almost positive on the ID.

I made one into an elevated doughnut with a hole in the middle, and also one like two paddle beavertails opposite each other.

They are common next to sidewalks in a box hedge shape. Not a "Tam" juniper, which are boxed also.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]