A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: BloodOrangeLover New Growth falling off my Blood Orange Tree - March 12th, 2007 at 05:35 PM
I'm having problems with my Blood Orange tree that I planted in my yard five months ago here in Los Angeles, CA. Beautiful new growth is appearing but a lot of the small new leaves are withering away and falling off. And some of the new growth and blossoms are just falling off. (Lots of them.) I thought perhaps it was some kind of small unseen mite problem so I sprayed with Neem, but so far this doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: New Growth falling off my Blood Orange Tree - March 12th, 2007 at 06:17 PM
Hello, Welcome Aboard..
We're glad you found us!!

Papito may know something about it..
He lives in Calif, and grows several types
of citris..
Give him a wee~bit of time to swing thru!!!
Posted By: papito Re: New Growth falling off my Blood Orange Tree - March 13th, 2007 at 07:44 PM
I have a few blood orange trees myself [Moro and Sanguinelli] in plastic pots.

Some of the most common causes of blossom and leaf drops are

overfertilization
[ in California, citrus trees are fertilized 3X a year from 1 to 2 years after planting, thereafter, 2X a year until maturity. fertilizer is applied between February and September. if overfertilized, water deeply to leach excess fertilizer.]

improper watering
[too much, too little. if the roots becomes too dry, followed by deep watering. try to water on a more regular basis. water when the top 3 inches of top soil is dry. ]

unseasonable changes in temperature
[a run of cold weather, followed by normal temperature, like we had experienced lately, can stress the plant.]

pH level too acidic or too alkaline
[either one can inhibit uptake of nutrients from the roots to the leaves. check the pH. the ideal range is pH 6.0 to 6.5]
Posted By: BloodOrangeLover Re: New Growth falling off my Blood Orange Tree - March 16th, 2007 at 07:12 AM
Thank you.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]