A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: kennyso is this St. John's Wart? - October 21st, 2006 at 11:24 PM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: is this St. John's Wart? - October 22nd, 2006 at 01:18 AM
Does not look like the St. John's Wort I have...
Posted By: kennyso Re: is this St. John's Wart? - October 22nd, 2006 at 01:21 AM
Thanks Weezie, do you know possibly what this plant may be?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: is this St. John's Wart? - October 22nd, 2006 at 01:26 AM
My first guess would be.....
Coreopsis/Tickseed
Posted By: weezie13 Re: is this St. John's Wart? - October 22nd, 2006 at 01:30 AM
A sign of a St. John's Wort flower is
that it has like a star burst in the middle of the flower center.. not a short one either,
they go out at least to the outter part of the flower..
The one picture/flower you posted,
has short stamens' in the middle..
not bursting out... wink

Here's a picture of a St. John's Wort..
click
This next one looks to me to be a Wild St. John's Wort, it's dark/orangish, rusty colored sorta...
click here
Posted By: kennyso Re: is this St. John's Wart? - October 22nd, 2006 at 01:43 AM
Thanks weezie, but don't think that's it, the leaves in my pic are really thin
Posted By: weezie13 Re: is this St. John's Wart? - October 22nd, 2006 at 01:47 AM
Okay, my guess was the Tickseed,
did you go up and look at that post???
Posted By: Patty S Re: is this St. John's Wart? - October 22nd, 2006 at 02:45 AM
I know it's not what you're looking for at this point, but here's a pic of the St John's Wart that's growing on the other side of my road.
[Linked Image]
That's a good way to describe it, Weezie... "star burst".
It's an awesome blossom!

(I can sure get disappointed with the pics that some of the botanical sites offer! You'd think they'd bother to display clearer **or close-up** pics, or photos of flowers, rather than drawings! How do they expect us to learn anything!) :rolleyes:

THIS place is the BEST place of them all! [Linked Image]
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: is this St. John's Wart? - October 22nd, 2006 at 03:16 AM
I would agree with the coreopsis - it looks just like the few I have.
Posted By: neko nomad Re: is this St. John's Wart? - October 22nd, 2006 at 03:40 AM
Check this one out (click on photo);

[Linked Image]

Tickseed Sunflower Bidens aristosa (As listed in my field guide book)

Is this it?
Posted By: netty Re: is this St. John's Wart? - October 22nd, 2006 at 04:39 AM
I believe that is Coreopsis Moonbeam Kenny
Posted By: kennyso Re: is this St. John's Wart? - October 22nd, 2006 at 06:20 AM
THanks everyone, I think I'm going to go with Netty about it being Coreopsis Moonbeam, I think the foilage looks the same. Neko, I think you were extremely close as well! So much for me saying it was Coreopsis, sorry bout that weezie, just goes to show how novice I am at gardening! That sure is a beautiful pic of St.J's W Patty!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: is this St. John's Wart? - October 22nd, 2006 at 09:20 AM
Originally posted by kennyso:
So much for me saying it was Coreopsis, sorry bout that weezie, just goes to show how novice I am at gardening!
Patients Grasshopper...Patients....
You are learning..
Knowing ALL about gardening, takes an entire lifetime... kissies

We all learn every day...
thumbup grinnnn
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]