A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: swapguy Yucca pups - March 18th, 2007 at 01:17 PM
I have a yucca that is having pups like crazy. I have cut off the smaller ones and potted. The larger ones I broke of and potted. On one of the large I left the leaves and potted. The other one I took off about 6 inches of leaves and potted. Am I doing right or what do you recommend?
Posted By: kennyso Re: Yucca pups - March 18th, 2007 at 01:44 PM
I just hear you cut them off and pot them so I think you did the right thing...welcome to the forum!
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Yucca pups - March 18th, 2007 at 02:57 PM
Is a yucca a big sharp plant that has a tall spike growing out of it that has flowers on the spike?

If so, I have had some of those I have been trying to get rid of for years, and every time I think I have them all dug up, they come back thicker. I even used a backhoe year before last to dig them up, and they just multiplied and choked out my butterfly bush.
I think the roots must go all the way to China.
Posted By: swapguy Re: Yucca pups - March 18th, 2007 at 03:18 PM
My yucca is tall and propagates through these pups. I hope to keep it from getting too thick and bushy by cutting off the pups. Sounds like yours comes up from the roots.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Yucca pups - March 18th, 2007 at 06:54 PM
yes, afg, that's the description of yucca.

they have tap roots and the root can go pretty deep (not quite to china tho! laugh ). they can be hard to get rid of because they will continue to grow from a piece of the root that is left when you dig them up...sounds like you didn't go deep enough with the backhoe.

swapguy, they propogate through the pups (you could also probably do seeds too). you can either thin the pups out or leave them - your choice! just remember, where ever you plant them, if you want to get rid of them later, it will be very difficult due to that tap root.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]