A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Thornius Ruby-Crowned Kinglet (Male) - February 15th, 2007 at 09:41 PM
This is the BEST bird pic I have ever taken! It is a male Ruby-Crowned Kinglet. I took this from 12 inches away on my porch rail about 9:30 this morning. The temperature was about 25 defrees F. Ruby-Crowned Kinglets let you get unbvelievably close to them; they KNOW you are there, they just don't care and aren't bothered by you.

RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET (MALE)
[Linked Image]
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Ruby-Crowned Kinglet (Male) - February 15th, 2007 at 11:05 PM
thumbup

What a cute bird!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ruby-Crowned Kinglet (Male) - February 15th, 2007 at 11:08 PM
How cool thorny. muggs He let you get really close. All my close shots are with the $100 tele lens I bought for that $400 camara (that I think is $300 now)
I've never seen a ruby-crowned kinglet! Hubby has seen them just over our fence line but not me.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Ruby-Crowned Kinglet (Male) - February 15th, 2007 at 11:55 PM
What a coooooooooooooool bird, and a great shot!
Thanks for sharing it!!! thumbup
Posted By: sibyl Re: Ruby-Crowned Kinglet (Male) - February 23rd, 2007 at 06:53 AM
he's a pretty bird! clp i dont think ive ever seen one! how cool they let ya get close to them.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Ruby-Crowned Kinglet (Male) - February 23rd, 2007 at 09:33 AM
Thorny, what an awesome picture you havae there! Duh
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Ruby-Crowned Kinglet (Male) - February 23rd, 2007 at 02:09 PM
That is so pretty...i love the red markings on him!!!!!
Posted By: Thornius Re: Ruby-Crowned Kinglet (Male) - February 23rd, 2007 at 04:34 PM
The female came by day before yesterday. Females look just like the males EXCEPT they don't have the red on the head. ONLY males have the red patch. The Red patch is what gives them the name, RUBY-Crowned Kinglet. There is also a Golden-Crowned Kinglet, but they don't come to my feeders so I don't have pictures of one......YET!!!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]