A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: janis Front Porch question - March 12th, 2007 at 12:18 AM
I am about to spruce up my front porch. I live in Northern California. the porch faces east, gets beautiful semi filtered sun. I want a container plant or small tree that will be on either side of a very boring window. The background is grey stucco. I want them to get about four feet high.

Any ideas???????

Thank you much,
Janis
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Front Porch question - March 12th, 2007 at 12:32 AM
northern california covers a lot of area. and i'd need more ideas. first is what is your extreme lows? will they be able to be brought in in case of a freeze? how big around would you want the container? i can think of several plants, most notable any of the ficus varieties, or a norfolk island pine, perhaps a dracaena marginata, just need a few more particulars first!
Posted By: dodge Re: Front Porch question - March 12th, 2007 at 01:42 AM
How about some of those tall grasses, with Impatiens plants around it /
They love he eastern exposure......

kit
Posted By: MLN Re: Front Porch question - March 12th, 2007 at 06:37 PM
Split leaf philodendren would be pretty too. You could buy a pair of mid-sized plants to start with because they grow pretty fast. I have one on my front porch that gets to be about 2 1/2 feet tall and at least that wide and is real showy. I left it out all winter (our worst temps got down in the low 20s). The cold knocked it back but the entire middle of the plant survived and it's putting on new growth now that it's getting back up around 60 to 80 during the day.
Posted By: dodge Re: Front Porch question - March 12th, 2007 at 07:08 PM
philod
Those freeze fast...

Mostly doesnt like sun either.
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: Front Porch question - March 13th, 2007 at 01:33 AM
azaleas
Posted By: dodge Re: Front Porch question - March 13th, 2007 at 01:07 PM
azales
Only bloom once and quit.

morning glories would go tall and bloom all year.

;o)
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]