A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: chermoni Snake plants - January 20th, 2007 at 06:03 PM
I recently bought a snake plant, I've never owned one before but I've always liked them. I mostly decided to buy mine because I felt sorry for it. It was bulging out the side of its pot and looked cramped and unhappy. So I bought a new, bigger pot for and replanted it as soon as I got home. It has one leaf that wasn't even covered in dirt when I pulled in out of it's original pot and was afraid I might lose it. That was about a month ago. The leaf I was worried about has more than tripled in height since then and I can tell the rest of the plant has grown as well, although not quite as fast. Is it normal for these plants to grow so fast or was it's growth being stunted in the too small pot it used to be in? I'm just curious on how fast these plants are supposed to grow and whether or not they have a specific growing season. At the rate it seems to be growing right now, it'll be touching the cealing within a year.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Snake plants - January 20th, 2007 at 06:49 PM
Cheryl Could be It just needed more dirt around it and the soil you used must have been Just the nurishment it needed They do love to be pot bound and they also bloom ,, I had one for years and it bloomed for me last year , Before that I had no Idea they even bloomed!!

Check this out..., [Linked Image]
Posted By: chermoni Re: Snake plants - January 20th, 2007 at 07:03 PM
I have heard that they bloom and that they need to be pot bound to do so. I don't think mine has become pot bound in it's new pot quite yet but it does seem to be happy. Yours looks really cool. I'm looking forward to mine doing that someday. I think I have some before and after pics of the one leaf of mine that has grown so much.
Posted By: comfrey Re: Snake plants - January 20th, 2007 at 08:38 PM
It is true that they need to be pot bound in order to bloom....bulging sides is a sign of being pot bound. Mine have bloomed several times until I repotted them and divided them into more pots to give to friends.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Snake plants - January 20th, 2007 at 08:54 PM
Is this the same plant that's called "Mother-in-law tongue"?
Posted By: chermoni Re: Snake plants - January 20th, 2007 at 10:37 PM
Yes it is, Deborah.
Posted By: Triss Re: Snake plants - January 20th, 2007 at 11:36 PM
How tall in yours Diane and in how big of a pot? I have two going now in two very different pots and wondering if either are really big enough for them?
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Snake plants - January 21st, 2007 at 01:44 AM
Thanks, Cher.
Posted By: chermoni Re: Snake plants - January 21st, 2007 at 01:46 AM
No problem!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Snake plants - January 21st, 2007 at 01:49 AM
The one that bloomed is 4ft 2" at it's tallest leaf,, ITs in a 12" across By 11" high I'm guessing a 3 or 4 gallon pot Duh It the beginning of last spring I potted one up with the existing one in this pot and it wasn't long after that I had the bloom!
Posted By: Triss Re: Snake plants - January 21st, 2007 at 01:58 AM
Yep, mine is in way too small of a container. Guess I will wait for them to get a bit bigger and then repot them.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Snake plants - January 21st, 2007 at 02:25 AM
The reason I put my smaller one with the Larger one is because I wanted to fill up the pot I'm glad I put them together they seem to enjoy each others company! thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: Snake plants - January 21st, 2007 at 02:30 AM
I wish I had planted all of mine together but at the time I did not have enough room for them all in one pot. Now the 2nd set I planted looks so empty.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Snake plants - January 21st, 2007 at 03:14 AM
Get some more in the Spring Triss and add in!! thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: Snake plants - January 21st, 2007 at 03:27 AM
Good idea! I just think the 1st set may be in too small of a container. Well I guess I won't know until I let them go some, they sure seem happy there and maybe with the smaller container, I will get a bloom sooner. Duh
Posted By: sibyl Re: Snake plants - January 25th, 2007 at 07:13 PM
i have a little tiny baby starter! i didnt know they bloomed! clp i cant wait till mine grows! let alone bloom! laugh
Posted By: njoynit Re: Snake plants - January 30th, 2007 at 01:11 PM
I'll learn this spring what happens when you try to re-vamp one.I have a few,but I have one that was potbound in a 20 gallon pot.I had been covering it up outside like /I have the last 2 years............But got this puppy.........(who outchews any puppy in this world) who pulled my blanket off& then shredded the blanket(well was my flannel fitted sheet)I'm hopeing some of my shorter leaves we're protected some by the older ones that are blackish-grey now.I think this spring.....I'm going to dump it out of its pot& cut 4 inches off bottom& dump back in pot and cover with fresh soil.I've since the disaster hauled it on a dolly....with HELP to the garage.But my others are doing fine...they are in cold GH SAFE from bad puppy.Mine have not bloomed.they are in 3 gallon pots& you may stumble across pieces of leaves in various pots of mine....due to puppy.Any size piece will root....just ask Duke.
Posted By: datazmom Re: Snake plants - March 6th, 2007 at 10:50 PM
I have a mother in laws tongue , AKA snake plant , too . Mine is a year old now and it has grown from 3 little 6 inch spikes to over a dozen spikes 3 feet tall . I have mine in a large pot and it is doing well . I have never seen one bloom before . To be honest I did not know they do bloom . Mine has new sprouts coming out on the bottom of it all the time and it grows so fast . How old was yours when it bloomed ????
Posted By: dodge Re: Snake plants - March 15th, 2007 at 01:53 AM
I had mine for about 5 years ......Never bloomed at all.........
What kind of blooms did it get?
b idea
Posted By: cinta Re: Snake plants - March 18th, 2007 at 02:03 AM
I hope mine will bloom now that it has outgrown the pot. LOL

My sister said her's has bloomed twice and it was very fragrant she was giving it Miracle=gro fert and when it started to bloom it bloomed at night and it was very fragrant.
Posted By: dodge Re: Snake plants - March 18th, 2007 at 02:11 AM
cinta

Just looked at your flowers..You have a quite healthy collection, If that is yours..

Oh I never ever fed mine or transplanted it , maybe I shuld start now.

;o)
Posted By: cinta Re: Snake plants - March 18th, 2007 at 02:38 AM
All the plants in my album are mine. I am plant obsessed. LOL

That snake plant comes to my almost to my chin and I am 5'5". I hope it finally blooms this year.
Posted By: dodge Re: Snake plants - March 18th, 2007 at 02:41 AM
Addicted, just like us.......Where do you keep them all in the winter? I have some inside but looks like your loaded.....

Very nice work.
Posted By: cinta Re: Snake plants - March 18th, 2007 at 02:50 AM
I have a garden window in the kitchen and the living room window is packed with succulents.

All my tropicals I have in the basement waiting to for summer.
Posted By: dodge Re: Snake plants - March 18th, 2007 at 12:51 PM
Do you have great lighting in the basement for the tripicals.. And heat.

Mine isnt real warm .......

I moved my lights upstairs.

Now i must get more for below..Keep up the good work.
Posted By: cinta Re: Snake plants - March 18th, 2007 at 04:54 PM
Thanks Barb, I have more struggling plants upstairs because I do not do supplemental lights. They only get the naturual light from the windows. I hope Spring/summer arrive soon.

The tropicals do not get any extra lights everything is cool 50-60. I give them 1/2 glass of water once a month. When March and April comes the basement gets warmer and everything wakesup starts to grow then they get a whole glass of water.
Posted By: dodge Re: Snake plants - March 18th, 2007 at 06:45 PM
hahaha flw I am watching the races.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]