A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: ND farm girl dampening off? - March 2nd, 2007 at 05:56 PM
What does this mean?
Posted By: sibyl Re: dampening off? - March 3rd, 2007 at 02:50 AM
damping off is a diseas that kills young seedlings , damageing stems at the soil level,

not shure what causes it, but i think its to much water and no air flow.
Posted By: Longy Re: dampening off? - March 3rd, 2007 at 05:49 AM
It's a fungal problem. The effect is to rot the stems off very young seedlings causing them to wilt and fall over and die.
Best ways to avoid it are to not leave the soil surface wet overnight, so water in the mornings, and/or to cover the soil with a medium which dries quickly. Like a bit of coarse sand sprinkled on top of the seed raising mix. The fungus travels across moist soils during the night.
Posted By: ND farm girl Re: dampening off? - March 3rd, 2007 at 01:52 PM
Good info! Thanks!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: dampening off? - March 3rd, 2007 at 03:04 PM
One random tidbit of info....once the plants get a bit tall it's good to have a fan on them. Not like super fast or anything...wouldn't want them flattened down...but on a light breeze so it helps them with their roots, it mimics the conditions of the outside.
Posted By: ND farm girl Re: dampening off? - March 3rd, 2007 at 08:32 PM
There are so many smart people here! smile

My husband and I farm; but I never knew growing something from seed like this would be so -- enjoyable. The first thing I do every morning is go to the furnace room to check on everything so far! I have been having so much fun starting from seed that I'm already making plans for more shelves and lights next winter!

So interesting for my boys too, to see the seed germinate and emerge - very good learning experience - different from planting 1800 acres of corn and beans in a field!
Posted By: Longy Re: dampening off? - March 4th, 2007 at 03:21 AM
Originally posted by ND farm girl:

So interesting for my boys too, to see the seed germinate and emerge - very good learning experience - different from planting 1800 acres of corn and beans in a field!
They would probably be interested in growing sprouts for eating too then. Very simple with rapid results for a nutritious salad addition.
Easily done in a large jar with some flyscreen over it, held on with a rubber band.
Posted By: MLN Re: dampening off? - March 7th, 2007 at 02:05 PM
Your boys would probably love to have a little garden of their own. I used to mark of a small square in two separate corners of my garden and let my kids plant their own. Things that sprout quick are good for kids--green beans, radishes, etc. They learn so much from the experience.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: dampening off? - March 8th, 2007 at 03:07 PM
Benomyl fungicide (1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!!) to prevent 'damping off' disease.

I knew I had put this little bit of important information some where. Glad I was able to find it. But I like the sand idea alot.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]