A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: rubbishchute Help needed - January 15th, 2007 at 04:37 PM
Hi, everyone here... i'm a new member from Singapore. Wanted to start planting rose so was wondering if any kind soul here would like to give me some advices...

Thanks in advance wink
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Help needed - January 15th, 2007 at 09:20 PM
Dig a whole 2x as big as the plant use some bone meal in Fill in well and water well... thumbup

I am sure someone will come along with better advice as well hang in there...

Welcome to the forum!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help needed - January 16th, 2007 at 01:44 AM
yes, the hole should be 2 times larger than the root-ball.

bone meal is good. so is rose food pellets when you first plant the bush...sprinkle about a teaspoonful in the hole and then sprinkle a light layer of soil on top of it and then put the bush in and fill the hole with more soil...i usually put another teaspoonful near the top of the hole too if the tap root is really long.

cover with soil to just below where the graft is. and then water thoroughly...let it soak down for about 30 minutes and then do another soak. cover with mulch - being careful to leave a clear area directly around the base...a couple inches wide. (mulch should never actually touch the base of the plants).

when doing further waterings, water at the 'drip line' so that the roots will reach out to get to the water. the 'drip line' is the area directly beneath the outer-most leaves. you need to water directly at the base, too, it's just that, if you focus only there, the root system will not get as well-established as it should...watering at the drip line forces the roots to spread...

what kind of soil do you have? well drained? clay-type? rocky?
Posted By: rubbishchute Re: Help needed - January 16th, 2007 at 03:25 PM
Thanks for the advices guys .... but i really got zero knowledge abt planting let alone planting rose. so i dun even knw wat type of soil i shld use or if i shld start with planting a stock or planting it from a seed.

tried to do research from the net but since i'm from Singapore where temperature is abt 33 cel year round, i couldn't find any info on how to grow rose in Singapore.

really hope i can get some info from here ...
Posted By: Longy Re: Help needed - January 17th, 2007 at 03:15 AM
As Singapore is really humid, you'll do best with varieties bred to cope. Roses are susceptible to fungal diseases and there are varieties which will resist this. During the wet season you could have a bit of trouble with this type of disease, Your nursery should only stock appropriate varieties. Plant the roses so they have plenty of air circulation between them. Maybe a metre apart minimum.
I'd also suggest you create raised beds. ie, add lots of organic matter to the soil and raise the garden to about 200mm above the surrounding soil. This will aid drainage in the wet season. If your soil is clay based then you'll definitely need to do this. If it's sandy though and drains well, you may be OK just building up a little.
During the dry season, the roses will need to be mulched and watered as they will continue growing all year round.
You may find more info if you use Darwin Australia or Queensland Australia as a place to search as they have a similar climate.
Posted By: MLN Re: Help needed - February 2nd, 2007 at 05:20 PM
I would be surprised if Singapore is more humid than we are here in Mississippi--if it is, I'm glad I don't live there--lol! Anyway, I have four different types of floribunda rose bushes and one Lady Banks rose bush that are all thriving very nicely here. They don't have any problems with the various diseases roses are prone to and bloom profusely every year (and they smell wonderful!). You might want to look into some of them.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Help needed - February 2nd, 2007 at 07:56 PM
i have rose bushes and tea roses, roses do like a slightly more acid soil, i add coffee grounds to mine they grow fine but i do sometimes fight with powdery mildew, black rot, and of corse alphids, the powery mildew is easy to get rid of if you get it right when it starts, any way when your roses start growing keep an eye out for stuff like that, thumbup
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]