A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Tonya Was told it was Moon flower?? - October 19th, 2006 at 10:00 PM
But it isn't. At least from what I can find out... HELP!!! It has deep purple blooms that are about 5 or so inches across when open and "point" up. My neighbor says that they are from the same family as "Angel Trumpets" Duh Here are some pics...

The plant
[Linked Image]

Seed pods (these are the size of a ping-pong ball
[Linked Image]

open pod with seeds showing
[Linked Image]

bloom getting ready to open
[Linked Image]

Thanks guys! I want to send some seeds out inthe swap, but need to know what I have first! thumbup
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Was told it was Moon flower?? - October 19th, 2006 at 10:14 PM
Lucky you!!! You have a brugmansia!

Looks like a nice, healthy plant - how long has it been growing there?
Posted By: alankhart Re: Was told it was Moon flower?? - October 19th, 2006 at 11:35 PM
It's a Datura....the blooms on datura point up and those of the brugmansia hang down.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Was told it was Moon flower?? - October 19th, 2006 at 11:58 PM
OK Alan - I thought brugmansia, because I didn't know that daturas came in purple too. I had had a purple brug. I also thought what you said was correct about the pointing up or down, but since I didn't know daturas can be purple, I changed my mind.

Thanks for the clarification! thumbup
Posted By: Tonya Re: Was told it was Moon flower?? - October 20th, 2006 at 02:13 AM
It is actually my neighbor acroos the street who has this plant. She did give me some seeds from it. Now that I know what it is for sure- I will send some of the seeds in for the swap! thumbup
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: Was told it was Moon flower?? - October 20th, 2006 at 03:17 PM
Tonya, those blooms will be gorgeous...probably white or lilac in the inside of the petals. It could be a Ballerina Purple Datura or Black Currant Swirl Datura. There are more but I can't think of their names right now. There are some good images here at Seedman.com

Whatever it turns out to be, grab all the seeds you can. wink
[Linked Image]
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Was told it was Moon flower?? - October 20th, 2006 at 04:43 PM
The seed pods from the white flowering datura that I have grown are much more prickly than those. Duh
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Was told it was Moon flower?? - October 20th, 2006 at 07:08 PM
What a beautiful flower Rosie!!
Posted By: Tonya Re: Was told it was Moon flower?? - October 20th, 2006 at 07:23 PM
It doesn't have any white on the blooms, tho... They are solid deep purple- gorgeous! I'll sneak over today and see if any have bloomed! thumbup
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Was told it was Moon flower?? - October 20th, 2006 at 07:51 PM
Yikes! This just reminded me I forgot to send Patty some Double-Lavender Anget Trumpet seeds! shocked
Posted By: Tonya Re: Was told it was Moon flower?? - October 20th, 2006 at 08:02 PM
That sounds cool, Cindy!

The same neighbor that has this plant also has the Angel Trumpets- her peach one is AWESOME!!
Posted By: alankhart Re: Was told it was Moon flower?? - October 20th, 2006 at 08:13 PM
plants 'n pots- you had a purple brug? I've never had a purple one...I want one! I have a pink one and an orange one...purple sounds really nice!
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Was told it was Moon flower?? - October 20th, 2006 at 08:21 PM
I was thinkin' the same thing, Alan! grinnnn
I want a purple one! eek
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Was told it was Moon flower?? - October 20th, 2006 at 11:18 PM
ok, ok... I'm wrong! shocked Duh :rolleyes:

I THOUGHT it was a brug, but then again, I'm working on only 1 hour sleep for the past several days... no make that weeks! My daughter has got to get herself (and me) on a realistic schedule, and soon!!!

Aside all that... when I received the seeds in a trade from another website, another lifetime ago... the package did say brugmansia. I should have realized that the few flowers I actually had after 3 years of growing it, were pointed the wrong way.

I know now - thanks for all the input. kissies
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]